Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Link Types For Link Building

Hi i have a SEO agency we work with who are building quality guest post links for us, however they are also building forum, profile, blog comments
    and directory based links.

60% of their links they are building are high quality, relevant guest posts while the other 40% are the other link types.

The 40% seem to be relevant directories, forums, blog comments, etc.

They said they build other link types because it diversifies the link building and profile rather then just building high quality guest posts.

As just building one link type can leave a footprint.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This sounds like a huge pile of SEO garbage!

Like fishing lures, this come-on is designed to attract fisherman rather than fish.

I've been at this SEO stuff over 20+ years and all I have culled from constant study and experience are a few facts about links and their application and the rest is personal opinion.

The Few Facts

If you are looking at external links you want:

• "Follow" links
    • Relevant search words in link text
    • Permanent links
    • Links whose quality won't drop

Some Person Opinions

It's only my personal opinion but I'd then favour links from search query related web pages and sites.

Egs:

• I think (but don't know) that location of the linked page and website could be a factor for certain searches.
    • I'd go for links from suppliers, related services, professional assocs, etc. in the same industry rather than links from large general purpose sites.

As to the SEO prop you received, IMHO...

What do they mean by "high quality" links? Anyone who claims to know how G defines "high quality" links is a liar, fool or a scammer. If they are pushing some irrelevant/misleading metric at you like "domain authority" this is a further sign of liars, fools or scammers.

Google says there is nothing different in its ranking algorithm for links from forums, blogs, guest blogs, directories, social media sites, .gov, .edu, .com, etc. What is this nonsense about?

What's with the link profile diversity? It has no relevance to G's algo. Possibly 80%+ of all links are from .com domains. The only reason I can think for them spouting about link profile diversity is they hope it may trick G into thinking they are not manipulting external links.

Rest assured, G and its large teams of experts will have forgotten more about identifying link spam than the lot who sent you the quote will ever know!

I recently audited a site who had paid $2,500 for a round of external linking. The SEO service had posted a lot of content on the types of sites that this mob are citing but there was not a single link that passed PageRank back to the client's site because ALL of their posts were "no-follow" links. This sounds like the prop could have been written by the same company (unlikely).

QUICK, RUN AWAY!

Comments on this post

• Hikin Mike agrees : Yeah, what IS a "high quality" link?
    • BuzFind agrees : Whenever I see 'high quality' link building' a 'scammer' sound to emit a sharp noise! Beware!!!
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 3rd, 2017 at 02:53 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. They define quality links with semrush organic traffic not DA as they have said DA is not a great metric .

In terms of "Google says there is nothing different in its ranking algorithm for links from forums, blogs, guest blogs, directories, social media sites, .gov, .edu, .com, etc. What is this nonsense about?

Surely if you are just building one link type e.g. guest post links this will be flagged.

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Novatronic
    Hi John,

Thanks for your response. They define quality links with semrush organic traffic not DA as they have said DA is not a great metric .

In terms of "Google says there is nothing different in its ranking algorithm for links from forums, blogs, guest blogs, directories, social media sites, .gov, .edu, .com, etc. What is this nonsense about?

Surely if you are just building one link type e.g. guest post links this will be flagged.
    Novatronic,
    I'm not an Semrush user but when it comes to assessing "link quality" all the SEO tools suffer from the same problems:

• They don't know how G assesses link quality
    • They don't know the linked page's PageRank score nor how much of it will be shared from that page to yours
    • External link value will vary with the link text
    • The value to you of specific link text will vary depending on how competitive the search words are in your search market

The list could go on and on...

When it comes to assessing link quality, these types of tools are intended to be short cuts that cull out some of the obvious irrelevancies. I've not seen one where you can take a literal approach to their assessment of link quality.

As to link types, G usually tackles link spam problems from the other side.

Eg. G kills:
    • the blog networks that offer spam links
    • the useless directories that offer valueless links
    • the forums, etc. that won't make links "nofollow"

Do Semrush and the other tools suppliers know when G has taken action to devalue large numbers of site types? How often do they reflect these types of G changes in their databases? I'm sceptical they can assess any of this accurately.

G does not need to take that much manual anti-link spam action. Most of the correction is taken automatically.

And, if G's manual penalty team were assessing your site for spam link building, one of the most obvious factors would be the time frame when link building occurred. We know G tracks when it identifies external links as we can download this info from our site's Console.

It is usually so obvious when a burst of paid link building occurs. Why would G need to bother with the types of site from which they occur?

Sorry, IMHO the SEO prop fails at every hurdle, so far.

PS. The SEO world does not know the details of most G algo changes. The SEO tool makers are no different. The more ill-defined changes, the less confidence we can have in any SEO tool. Eg:

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees
    • jamespayne agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Novatronic,
    This crossed my desk today, it's by the father of SE reporting, Danny Sullivan. It discusses "page authority" from G's reported statements:

3 May 17: How Google assesses the Ďauthorityí of web pages

If you think through the consequences, it explains in much more detail why any SEO tool supplier can't offer current and/or accurate "link quality" measurements.
  11. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Getting links from external resources is fine but depends how to get this and what kind of approaches on that you apply I believe u shuld read Doodled reply from Off-Page SEO in 2016 - Quick intro
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Prof Stan
    With respect, I suggest this reference is largely out dated and may even be dangerous.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by priya456
    Link types for link Building:

1. Traffic Generating Links
    2. SERP Elevating Links
    PageRank Boosting Links
    Reputation Building Links
    Backlinks for Your Backlinks
    6. The Key to Building Links
    Sorry, but this seems to be a lot of non-sense.

SERP elevating links would be the same as PageRank boosting links and reputation building links.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You just need to build links through blog commenting, forum posting, etc. Make a website with good content and use your youtube channel at the landing page.
  19. No Profile Picture

Relevancy is huge... I suggest really looking for relevant links first rather than some dangerous press release gig.
    Just my humble opinion... I'm kind of a noob but really appreciate seeing what everyone else has to contribute!
  21. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JoeMan18
    You just need to build links through blog commenting, forum posting, etc. Make a website with good content and use your youtube channel at the landing page.
    Blog commenting..not good
    Forum posting..waste of time for building better serps, traffic yes.
  23. Senior Member
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by priya456
    Link types for link Building:

1. Traffic Generating Links
    2. SERP Elevating Links
    PageRank Boosting Links
    Reputation Building Links
    Backlinks for Your Backlinks
    6. The Key to Building Links
    Spam post...

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

In my opinion, they are doing a good job, getting too many similar links in a short span of time would send red flags to Google.Moreover, if you think links from directory,profile and blog comments are not powerful then you are wrong, they are very helpful in building PA and Da of a site

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : Thats a bunch of garbage right there.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In Off-Page Two types of Link Building
    1. General Back Links
    a. Directory Submission
    b. Social Book Mark Submission and etc
    2. Contextual back links
    a. Blog Commenting
    b. Article Submission
    3. Forums Participation
    4. Blog Posting and etc
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi wjack3047,

Google has repeatedly said it treats links from all pages the same in its ranking algorithm.

What matters is:
    • Can/has the page containing the link be indexed?
    • Can the link pass PageRank?
    • What amount of PageRank can be passed? (link quality)
    • What are the link text words?
    • Is the linking page and its PageRank permanent or transient?
    • Does the link or linked page contravene G's anti-spam guidelines?

Many social media, blogs and forums use "nofollow" links which means they won't pass PageRank.

Many directory sites have almost no PageRank to pass.

Eg 1: yellowpages.com.
    Pages indexed = 17.7 million

Dofollow backlinks to Home = 17.5 million (Source Ahrefs)

Eg 2: yellowpages.com/dallas-tx/plumbers

Dofollow backlinks to Plumber's page = 0

Whatever PageRank reaches this page it is going to be shared between the 69 plumber's sites that are linked from it.

If you submit a plumber to this page on YP, it seems there is little or no PageRank to pass back to your site.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 30th, 2017 at 01:21 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: