1. No Profile Picture

Link building relevancy

HI - i'm a bit new here and to SEO in general.

I am taking the leap of faith and also getting SEO PowerSuite next week. I understand that the Link-Assistant is a reciprocal link situation and not a link provider, per se.

How can these strategies be viable? For example, say I am creating a site to sell puppy blankets, why in the world would I create a directory on a site like that so I can build reciprocal links? I always thought, and believe, that the SEs do not like content and links going to and from irrelevant sites.

I have checked some competition for a competitor in the niche I want to focus on. This individual has a #4 position and 40% of the traffic for a given key phrase. When researching a bit more, I found thousands of link backs to this site from absolute content dumps. Sites that allow anyone to post anything and any link to any site. Regardless of content. And including horribly spun content. What gives?

I know you can't really answer fully without seeing their site but I am just looking more for feedback than anything.

Thanks in advance!
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by jjspelman
    HI - i'm a bit new here and to SEO in general.

I am taking the leap of faith and also getting SEO PowerSuite next week. I understand that the Link-Assistant is a reciprocal link situation and not a link provider, per se.
    a waste of revenue.

How can these strategies be viable? For example, say I am creating a site to sell puppy blankets, why in the world would I create a directory on a site like that so I can build reciprocal links? I always thought, and believe, that the SEs do not like content and links going to and from irrelevant sites.
    It's a link scheme... a good old fashion "snake oil offering".

I have checked some competition for a competitor in the niche I want to focus on. This individual has a #4 position and 40% of the traffic for a given key phrase. When researching a bit more, I found thousands of link backs to this site from absolute content dumps. Sites that allow anyone to post anything and any link to any site. Regardless of content. And including horribly spun content. What gives?

I know you can't really answer fully without seeing their site but I am just looking more for feedback than anything.

Thanks in advance!
    You can't look at any specific link and say, "that created the results" or even if, "those results come by way of a natural development.

If you are stuck on how to best do link development... consider the philosophy of buying your competitors domain from them, or loosely acquiring domains that have link juice and pointing them to your domain. The closer you get to your "topics" the greater the impact but all domains with link juice afford a certain amount of value.

These are all "natural links," or rather are not unnatural as they don't have anything to do with you directly. The impact of "link juice" on existing internal page content (on-page/on-site optimization) is what provides results while avoiding what the stuff that can harm you.

The fact that you are not adding anything to Google... no crap content or no crap links makes this development a way to get ahead so you can afford to "just make a great website"... alternatively, Google doesn't believe in their own advice. They did this when they bought YouTube.com for 1.6 billion dollars... they didn't make a great website... they bought one, course you have to do a lot of other developing to acquire the funds to do what they did... so while Google does not recommend buying domains is a preferred method to acquire results... it avoids being "unnatural".

Comments on this post

• jjspelman agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks, Fathom. for the reply. Why do you feel it would be a waste of revenue? They seem to have tools that would assist in at least the management of some efforts. DO you feel tree are better programs? being as new to this as i am I am appreciative for all the input and insight I can gather.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    The best tool resides between your ears. Most automated tools are a waste of time... All automated linking tools are a waste of time, money, and will get you penalized/banned by Google. Other than those minor problems... go ahead and buy the tool.

Comments on this post

• jjspelman agrees
  9. SEO Since 97

Link Assist is a waste of time as explained above
    Rank Tracker is good to keep track of your rankings
    Web Analytics is good for gathering your site information
    SPYGlass is good for analyzing your backlinks.

Keep in mind these programs only gather the information, you still need to analyze it.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Thanks, Fathom. for the reply. Why do you feel it would be a waste of revenue? They seem to have tools that would assist in at least the management of some efforts. DO you feel tree are better programs? being as new to this as i am I am appreciative for all the input and insight I can gather.
    WMT is all you need, and as SEO_AM suggested "use your head".

The thing about "tools"... their primary purpose is to make the developer income.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

ah.. Well over here, First of all you should focus on your content and keywords and then you take the other necessary steps to do a good SEO.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Because I espouse relevancy first, it’s important to define relevancy when building links locally. What is and isn’t relevant? Is relevancy redefined when thinking locally versus nationally (or globally)? Absolutely.