1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Link Baiting Good or Bad?

Most of the traffic to my blog comes from a stupid tutorial that I wrote sitting at my Balcony. I finished up building the complete website around it because the solely thing I had at the time was the domain, and a couple of silly posts on the website. The tutorial was even submitted to Slide-share by somebody, and it’s been Shared 31 times and downloaded 26 times up to now .

I did not do that intentionally, however I do not see something wrong with putting something on your website that makes folks wish to link to. What do you guys think about this?

I think of “link-bait” as attention-grabbing thing, enough to catch people’s attention, which doesn’t have to be used to be a bad thing.

Comments on this post

• johnmessy agrees : Link Baiting is not good for a website. Link baiting is a viral marketing form, and can be extremely powerful, as it draws traffic to a website without keyword searches or specific searches for that web page.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd say that a piece of content that's actually driving genuine referral traffic to the site is fine and that the links are natural. What your original motivation was behind the content asset is largely irrelevant here, in my opinion, although others might agree.

Now that you see the piece of content is driving results, I'd say the more important thing to ask is how can you leverage it:

1) Is there a possible follow-up post or updated version that you could write?
    2) Have you placed some relevant, internal links from the blog post to other pages on your site?
    3) Have you optimized the title tag and meta description of the post for relevant keywords?
    4) Etc, etc.

Hope that helps!
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by daniel.o
    Have you optimized the title tag and meta description of the post for relevant keywords?
    I don't think Using keywords in Description would help, though i am not very updated about this.

Have you placed some relevant, internal links from the blog post to other pages on your site?
    No i did not, but surely i am gonna try this. thanks for the suggestions.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When people are talking about "creating high quality content to attract links" this is what they're referring to. It is clear that others consider what you wrote valuable and useful to others. Optimizing the meta description for relevant keywords can help it rank higher when people search for the information you're providing. For example, if you wrote a guide about removing stains from carpet you might want a meta description that says something like "The best guide to removing stains from carpet whether its wine, pet stains or just plain old dirt stains."

Be sure to make it sound natural and not just try to stuff the keyword in as much as possible. And to follow up with daniel.o's point #1, consider writing more along the same topic and then contacting those that linked to/shared the original post to let them know you have additional similar info they may be interested in. This is how you build natural backlinks using content.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by DanSEO
    "The best guide to removing stains from carpet whether its wine, pet stains or just plain old dirt stains."
    I wondered how many times you use that word "stains" in 73 characters long description.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My general rule of thumb is if it sounds "normal" when read aloud, then its an okay amount. You want it in there a few times, with a couple variations, but you don't want to go overboard so that its obvious you're writing for the search engine and not the user. Even though "wine stains" is not in there exactly, Google can make the association that someone searching for wine stains would find this page useful. The algorithm uses a wide variety of signals to figure out what the content is about and determine basic context.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Recently google update there search method.so link building is not necessary for site seo.at this moment link building is count for spamming.
    Last edited by GabrielG; Sep 22nd, 2014 at 05:24 AM.
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by aloeindica
    Recently google update there search method.so link building is not necessary for site seo.at this moment link building is count for spamming.
    For your kind information this topic is not about Link Building.