Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Link Bait

What is Link Bait?
  3. Addicted to SEO

It's creating something interesting enough for people to share it with their friends by giving them links to it. They put links on forums, on their websites etc. It's the most natural way of link building - such a White Hat link building

Comments on this post

• YogitaAggarwal agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

For example: I did a piece for my helicopter website in my local city. I searched local helicopter pilots, I asked them what their favorite spot was for helicopter sightseeing. I compiled the answers from 15 local pilots. I created an infographic, an ebook, an article, and I let all the pilots know that they were featured.
    Then they will spread the word on their blogs, facebook, twitter, etc. And I got links.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees : Great example
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by askingseo
    For example: I did a piece for my helicopter website in my local city. I searched local helicopter pilots, I asked them what their favorite spot was for helicopter sightseeing. I compiled the answers from 15 local pilots. I created an infographic, an ebook, an article, and I let all the pilots know that they were featured.
    Then they will spread the word on their blogs, facebook, twitter, etc. And I got links.
    Wow! You are a go-getter. I need to start thinking more like that.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Thanks askingseo you are the savior and i am also gonna do it.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Anything remarkable, which surprises. To know what surprises, you need to know people's expectations.

One key expectation almost everyone has, is that the status quo will remain. Things won't change. Life is mostly peaceful; that's why violence gets such attention in the news. We usually have to pay for things. That's why free [valuable] items are surprising.

Expectations can also vary by industry. Extreme sports are remarkable because they take ordinary activities and give them an unusual twist. They are particularly remarkable since we usually avoid danger, while extreme sports usually connote heightened risk/danger.

If you were selling furniture, it would be remarkable to promote an upside down table, where people rested things on the top of the legs while the plates etc were on the bottom surface.

We often expect to get the runaround from unempowered customer service reps. Empower them to give refunds up to a certain safe threshold, and give people easy access - surprising and delightful customer experience. Word of mouth generating.

Weight loss companies promise rapid weight loss with no effort. What if you went to the opposite extreme and offered something that took effort and a long time, and marketed it that way? "The hard-as-heck diet that loses weight slooooooowly; if you stick to it for a year and make a life change." Sounds daunting, but you'd probably get lots of publicity that would help attract super motivated individuals for whom such a diet would make sense.

That last point is also important because it shows that linkbait isn't just content. It can be business strategy. I participated in a Startup Weekend (really Wednesday to Friday) here in Jerusalem, Israel, and the team I was on took second place for a unique taxi app idea. A lot of people here wonder whether to agree to a flat fare for the ride ahead of time, or whether to have the driver turn the meter on. The app would predict the fare based on traffic and distance, and bring together cabs and passengers who were agreed on the terms ahead of time, so that it would be fair to both. That's a remarkable solution to an industry-wide problem.

Comments on this post

• BuyGifts.com agrees : Love your creative thinking!
  13. No Profile Picture

Any ideas for a linkbait for auto industry. We are a car exporter who sell mostly pickup trucks like Toyota Hilux and SUVs like Toyota Land Cruiser.
  15. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hire Kate Upton to do a commercial washing your cars in a wet t-shirt, BOOM! Link bait.
  17. No Profile Picture

ndelia: try to ask this question: Which pick up trucks have the best resale value? Ask the questions to 15 used pick up dealers. Pick auto dealers that are active online, websites, facebook, twitter, linkedin, everything. The reason is when you're done with the piece, you want to reach out again to them and say they're featured.

Most likely they'll be sharing and linking. Good luck.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  19. Super Moderator

@NDelia - Run a contest for pics of the most outrageously modified Hilux or Land Cruiser. The pics are submitted /hosted on your site and people vote there. Make sure you offer great prizes, obviously - find out from owners of tricked-out Hiluxes and LCs what they would consider great prizes. As a bonus this should help attract attention of people interested in these particular models.
  21. No Profile Picture

On my site we are implementing a careers page, which we hope will prove to be good link bait. We are saying a lot of nice things about the community, local university, etc. and are hoping to get links from the university, the business school, the county website, chamber of commerce website, maybe even state?
  23. No Profile Picture

nathanarizona: Yes. Those are great places to get super link juice (bbb, universities, chamber of commerce, etc) but in my experience, those are paid links. Except universities .edu links you can get them for free sometimes just by simply contacting the webmaster. But bbb, chamber of commerce, those are solid business directories and we (my clients and I) usually pay between $150-$600 per listing depending on the quality. Like for example, I'm working with one client and we are on second page for "widget manufacturer." The big player was listed on a solid niche directory with page authority and domain authority of 75. We couldn't get listed there for free because we didn't have events with them. But the editor let me slip in on their blog post for a fee and we're willing to pay $150 for a very solid link juice from one of the best authority websites in our niche.

Do you guys have any experience like this on clients' websites or your own?
  25. No Profile Picture

I stay away from paying for links. Too much to lose.
  27. Super Moderator

"(bbb, universities, chamber of commerce, etc) but in my experience, those are paid links. " - Those are clearly not paid links. Paid links are misleading garbage aimed at manipulating rankins only, without benefiting users. The links on bbb, uni, chambers etc are meant for users.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Link bait is a way where you provide the content and people are 'willing' to share this to others via their own website or through social media platforms. This strategy promotes viral marketing where you do not need to ask or pay people to link and use your content to other sites.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: