1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Lifting the Veil of Link Building

I see so many threads concerning how to build backlinks. Well most of them are emphatically wrong. So I decided to post this in the hope of helping all of you would be link builders out there.

How to Build Links Properly is something all need to know. There are many here that know how to build links, but the majority of the users here don't so here is to helping you that fall into the latter category.

We get a lot of post that sound like this....

I got links from DA 50+ sites, but it's not helping.
    I get links from only quality blogs, directories, because they have a high DA 50+, but it's not helping.

DA is a proxy for Google's Page Rank, (named after Larry Page), but it is just a proxy, a some what indicator on how likely a site or page is to rank for a given term.

Now here is the issue, Moz doesn't use the same signals that Google uses to calculate the value of any given Link. They miss by a long shot, remember for now that DA is only an indicator.

You hear a lot of the senior members here on SeoChat say, "Google doesn't use DA" , (and we are correct in that statement), Moz and people that use Moz's tools use DA. Also most people are using the metric incorrectly !!!

So what should you be looking for when link building... here is a small list that covers a lot of territory and hopefully if you pay attention, your link acquisition skills will be better.

You've heard this before, but it is still true !

Get Relevant Links, basically you want to get links from a page / article that is relevant to your niche. (nothing new here)

Now you can use Moz DA here to provide a filter, but only a filter. It's not the end all, cure all for acquireing links. That being said...Vet the site, for traffic. There are many high DA sites that have "0", "Zero", "Nada", "Zip", "Zilch" traffic. Remember DA is based on how many links a site has, somewhat analogous to how PR worked before the Panda and Penguin Algorythms were release by Google. If Google is ranking a site, and the site is getting organic traffic, then you can assume that Google considers links from said site are valuable.

Here's a fun fact, more than 91% of all sites on the web get ZERO traffic from Google. You can check this by searching it, go ahead Google it, look it up. Do not just take my word on this !

So with that in mind, if you are link building then approximately 9 out of 10 sites are basically worthless for acquiring backlinks. This seriously reduces the number of sites you should be getting links from !! The problem for link builders is determining whichs sites actually have traffic.

Now lets say you have identified some Diamonds in the Mud, good sites being Diamonds, and the mud is the internet.
    Now you have to develop a relationship with these sites. Not an easy task, remember there are over 1.8 billion active websites currently on the net today. But only 180 million of them are worth getting a link from. Of that 180 million, how many are relevent to your site and niche ? You can now see how we have trimmed down the number of sites you should be looking at. Now ask yourself how many webmaster, and linkbuilders approach these sites for a backlink. Then folks wonder why they can't get a post approved. Well it's a lot harder than you imagine to get that relationship established. Once you do, then more opportunities will present themselves.

So lets recap that last bit ....

You have to identify sites with traffic.
    You have to identify sites in your niche.
    You have to develope a relationship with said site.

That last part is the real hard part. Remember these site owners want to protect their site's reputation. So if you have no stature on the topic matter, why should any site publish your article ????? The short of it is they won't, period.

Now you can see why most of the reputable members here tell folks here build links for traffic, not rankings. Most folks like instant gratification and will take short-cuts in the link building process. They get links from any site that will let them post links on. Well if they have no traffic, really what good is the link, because no one will see it, since the site has basically no traffic Google now discounts that link and you have just wasted your time, and that is just the best outcome you can hope for. You could find what is a great looking site, but hey it is using shady tactics, so those sites will cause you to incur a penalty for getting links from them. If you vetted the site for traffic, then the chances for those issues drops away drastically.

Hope this helps all you would be, wanna be, link builders. Now you know how some of us qualify a site for possible backlink acquisition.

Good Luck !

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • matt1966 agrees : Good job! (Sorry, no rep)
    • marthy13b agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Feb 7th, 2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Great write up NOS. I've added an example for external links even thought it's an internal link.
    Things Google Doesn't Want You to Know
    the example is in the External and Internal links section.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Feb 9th, 2019 at 11:30 PM.
  5. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Thank KOS, for adding insightful about backlinking strategies like you said build backlinking for traffic, not for ranking and it is not an easy job.
    I agree 100% valid points but there is another aspect where I can easily get the approval of backlinks from trusted sites, see below my findings

• Link from home page or about us but they were my outsource partners: Due to business requirement
    • Link from BBB external sources: Due to BBB to build trust with potential customers in your target areas
    • Add the site in the site like Yelp and few more :Due to target locally
    • Buy expiry domains: Due to we knew how to filter the domains?
    • Get links from outreach: Due to we knew bloggers like research-based content and our SEO was good searchers so, they worked with our content team and before writing the full article we sent them some topics once we got approval from a respected blogger than we started to wring on it. Finally, our US colleagues edited the content before sending for publishing.

But I have retired from my SEOing and not sure these strategy is working now a day or not
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 10th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Now I have a comment about getting links from your niche.
    There are different opinions about this.

What looks more natural? Getting links only from sites related to your business? Or getting links also from sites related to other industries, thus showing that your site offers valuable content also to different businesses?
    In both cases, I am referring to quality sites.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Interesting post. I would say site traffic is one of the first things I look for nowadays when trying to gauge worthiness from a link opportunity. Another thing I look at is how many keyword phrases rank in the top 100 results. The ratio of these two numbers can shed light also. I've also noticed that a site with no traffic is sometimes de-indexed completely, definitely a red flag!

I think the point you made about a lot of people not realizing how much work is required in actually selling yourself to the link opportunity. I tell prospective clients that I average 4% positive feedback from email outreach but that the number increases as the pitch improves: the "what's in it for me?" for the link prospect, the incentive I can offer, the value of the content, the image of the brand, etc.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by rastaviper
    What looks more natural? Getting links only from sites related to your business? Or getting links also from sites related to other industries, thus showing that your site offers valuable content also to different businesses?
    In both cases, I am referring to quality sites.
    If you were speaking from the viewpoint of "Local Search", meaning a small business, not an international site, then both would have value. So a local business in the same locale in a totally different niche providing a backlink would have value and shows that your business is "Supposedly in Good Standing with the Local Community". But you should also know that a mix of "nofollow" links should also be present for the site.

Originally Posted by Whatjut
    I think the point you made about a lot of people not realizing how much work is required in actually selling yourself to the link opportunity.
    Yes, most people don't know how to be a "salesman". Most think that their content is "Best of Web", sadly to find out that they get rejected when approaching a prospective link partner. Especially when that prospect is expecting "Best of Web" content.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think what most people forget is the way search engines work now. We have to totally leave the notion of manipulating the rankings through factors like building great number of backlinks, and therefore, sacrificing the quality of information we provide search engines and readers. I have not really done a lot of backlinking since Google started to spring clean its search results. I focus more on my onsite optimization and I put more value to my content. It took time for me to build traffic but eventually noticed some progress with it. So I am good to sticking to better onsite optimization and quality of content. The tips above are really valuable. Thank you.
  15. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Marthy, how users know your content/service/product quality better than others..Do you don't think it should be market.