1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is it legal to show RSS content of another site in your site?

Hi, I have a wordpress site.

I know there are plugins available which will allow me to fetch the RSS content of another site and display that as a posts in my website.

I want to know that if I pull the RSS content of another site and show it on my website as posts, wont my site be penalized for duplicate content in Google? Also is it legal to do? What if the original site owner comes to know that his content is being shown on another site?

I want to choose the ethical way only without hurting anybody's interest.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Well I'm no lawyer so I can't give an answer about it being legal or not but as long as you remove someone else's content on request you shouldn't have any problems from them - unless they can prove your use of their content has costed them money I guess. Maybe someone here will know a more definite answer on the legal side of it, but you would probably be better off asking a lawyer about it if its something you feel could have legal consequence.

In terms of what google would do, that would depend on the amount of content you use, if that's the only content on your site, if you have a canonical tag telling google which is the original and if you get reported by the original publisher.

I have a couple of sites which auto publish content and/or videos from feeds of a couple other sites, but I always contact the sites before hand to ask if they wouldn't mind me using their feeds to post a short description of there posts - which has had a 100% success rate for me, I'm only using a short description of the post (in most cases), their content isn't all that's on my site (its a complimentary extra to give my client more expert content to read (that's important to mention to the original author when asking for permission!)) and I link to the original source to make sure to give them credit and show google my intentions are NOT to steel other sites content.

In doing this I'm getting written consent from the content owner which covers my back in a few ways and it shows I'm honest and would like to feature their valuable content as an added part to my sites existing content.

So in short, if your simply scraping content from another site to yours its a bad move! But if your adding parts of a feed to your already existing content it should be ok if done correctly!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. No Profile Picture

Dear NathanielB, thanks for the quick and detailed reply. your answer is really helpful and guiding.

Can you please tell how can I include canonical tag to the post/ page that is having borrowed content from another site? Thanks in advance.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by jack7582
    Dear NathanielB, thanks for the quick and detailed reply. your answer is really helpful and guiding.

Can you please tell how can I include canonical tag to the post/ page that is having borrowed content from another site? Thanks in advance.
    No problem, happy to be of help

You would include it the same as you would on any other page, you just need to automate it to add the correct url in the tag. You should be able to do that by editing the page/script which you are using to pull and post the feed, without knowing how your doing that (ie custom code, or a script etc) and without seeing the code I couldn't give you a definite answer for a solutions, but I can't see a reason why adding a line of code to the script telling it to grab each posts url and enter that into a canonical tag wouldn't work.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry i have a question related to the same subject, how about if you use RSS feeds to build a cloud and then show the user a phrase and the links to the original articles ? None of them are in pages that can be found/parsed by google's engine.