1. No Profile Picture
    search-engines-web.com
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Labs.google.com - New Tool Added just Hours AG0

It is a once in a million chance - on Labs.google.com to get the "last" tool,
    then refreshing the page - because it was about 3/4 loaded and loading too SLOW, and wanting to hurry it up - then saw the lastest addition added at that very same second it was added
    ;) :eek:

http://www.google.com/services/siteflavored.html

Site-Flavored Google Search
    Want to offer your visitors search results that are tailored based on your site? With a few easy steps, you can customize search results based on the content of your website. Simply fill out a profile based on your site's content, generate the search box HTML, and then paste this HTML into your pages. Users who search from this search box will have the option to "flavor" their results based on the profile you've created.

Start here to customize Google for your site

FAQ

1. What is Site-Flavored Google Search?

Site-Flavored Google Search uses a Google search box to deliver custom web search results, based on a profile filled out by a site's webmaster. The profile reflects the content of the website, and when the site-flavored search box is placed within the pages of that site, users are able to view search results that are "flavored" to be more relevant to them. To put a Site-Flavored Google Search box on your site, click the "Start here..." link above.

2. That's pretty awesome. How does Google create customized search results?

Google has developed algorithms to determine which results are most likely to be relevant to a user, based on a profile that user fills out about his or her interests. Using a profile created by a site's webmaster on behalf of the site's visitors, Google attempts to customize searches entered into a site-flavored search box; pushing the most relevant results to the top of the page.

3. Google works great as is. As a webmaster, why should I try Site-Flavored Google Search?

No two websites are alike, and Google's goal is to make search results as relevant as possible. While standard Google results can be close most of the time, we believe that customization can make them even better. We want to save users from ever having to reformulate search terms to be more precise.

4. What do the colored balls next to the Site-Flavored search results mean?

The balls indicate which results Google thought were more relevant to your search, based on the profile that the webmaster filled out for his or her site. You can turn off this customization by clicking the "Off" link under the search box.

5. How can I find out what profile the webmaster filled out for his or her site?

Click the "Customized" link under the search box to see the categories the webmaster included in a particular site's profile.

6. The customized results aren't as useful as the default ones. Why is that?

In most cases, changing the customization setting to adjust the ordering of results has a positive affect on relevancy, because the changes are based on the content of the site from which you did your search. Sometimes it doesn't work that way. We're still ironing out the kinks in this beta test product and encourage you to give us feedback.

7. What's required to use Site-Flavored Google Search?

Your browser must be Internet Explorer 5 (or newer), Netscape 5 (or newer), or Mozilla 1.4 (or newer). It's best to restrict your search to English only for now, and to make sure your browser and computer languages are also set for English. And you'll need to have Javascript enabled.

For more information on other free enhancements to your website, check our Google Free FAQ. If you have comments, please feel free to send us feedback.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I've put it on my site but i really don't see the attraction other than as a novelty
  5. Contributing User

I guess you can also claim to be "cutting edge". 8)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't get the point of it but, what the hell, I always wanted to be cutting edge...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cold Stone Creamery is now offered Google-flavored cones and sundaes..:

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/sec...sp?type=google
    Last edited by ericwfrost; Sep 24th, 2004 at 09:47 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    search-engines-web.com

Lightbulb Another New "Labs" Tool Added Today

http://labs.google.com/

http://www.google.com/sms/

Code:
    How do I use it?  

Enter your query as a text message. See some sample queries.

Send the message to the US shortcode 46645 (GOOGL on most phones).

Receive a text message (or messages) with your results, usually within a minute. Results may be labeled as "1of3", "2of3", etc.

To get Google SMS help info sent directly to your phone, send the word 'help' as a text message to 46645.

Why should I use Google SMS?

Get local business listings when you're on the road and want to find a place to eat 
    Compare online product prices with ones you find in retail stores 
    Look up dictionary definitions to expand your vocabulary or prove a point 
    Find other specialized types of information, as described in how to use Google SMS
  13. OMG! They've killed Kenny

This is like the "personalized search". As usefull as those Antenna Boosters that you stick to the back of your mobile phone... If that was true and really worked, they would came from factory with it...

Same with your website... Personalized search isn't that new (I mean, look at Amazon, they have personalized content and give you the list of products you have seen and related ones).

Another Google "will stay beta for a long time in lab" innovation.
  15. No Profile Picture
    search-engines-web.com

Desktop Search Released - Here we go again

http://desktop.google.com/

Find your email, files, web history and chats instantly
    View web pages you've seen, even when you're not online
    Search as easily as you do on Google
    Google Desktop Search finds:

Outlook / Outlook Express Word
    AOL Instant Messenger Excel
    Internet Explorer PowerPoint