1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keywords in website name

How important or not would you say it is to have you main overall website keyword in your website adress?

Say I have a website about EFT would my site rank better if my website name was something like efthealing.co.uk or alternativetherapyeft.co.uk in other words using EFT as part of the domain name.

Also should you also use keywords in your sub pages domains

for example say my website has page about addictions and i have found my best keyword is help stopping addictions

Should my page about stopping addictions be named something like mywebsite.co.uk/helpstoppingaddictions
    mywebsite.co.uk/help-stopping-addictions
    mywebsite.co.uk/help_stopping_addictions
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Having the keywords in your domain name may help a little, but it's more important to have a name that is brandable ? and memorable, the examples you gave seem good.

And yes it is good to have kws in your other web page names, again the examples you gave are ideal. Although the benefit of having them is the user will see the url name and believe it to be relevant for the term, the search engines won't put much of a weight on it.

Comments on this post

• RohitShah agrees
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Keywords in your Domain name make very little difference.

Keywords in your URL make a little difference.

The more competetive a term you are targetting the less effect any of these on page factors have.

Don't keyword stuff, chose a brandable doman name and put leywords in URLs only where it seems sensible and appropriate to do so.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pagi
    Having the keywords in your domain name may help a little, but it's more important to have a name that is brandable ? and memorable, the examples you gave seem good.

And yes it is good to have kws in your other web page names, again the examples you gave are ideal. Although the benefit of having them is the user will see the url name and believe it to be relevant for the term, the search engines won't put much of a weight on it.
    Yes he's right also try to keep in mind - Make website for your users and not for search engines. But trying to get a keyword in domain which looks brandable is known as a smart step which targets Search Engines and Users at a time
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

although I agree with many of the points above, I also think having keywords in your domain name will indirectly benefit your site.

This is because not ever one cares about linking to you with the correct link text : myKeyword

but will often link to you directly : www.myKeyword-stuff.com

now we've all heard how anchor text helps your SERP results.

so if many people are linking to you with your URL, which lets face it, we cant train people to use the correct anchor text if they're unknown and not SEOers, so people will do this

and this link its self contains the keywords, in affect your anchor text is just that little bit better than if you didnít use the keyword in your URL