1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keyword specific URLs

I use to work for an e-commerce company two years ago so I was exposed to, and worked with, a lot of SEO techniques.

I'm now a freelance artist. One of the companies I work for heard about my past and now I'll be running some SEO on retainer.

After brushing up on my knowledge (all the whitehat stuff still seems solid, and I've worked out an overall strategy with them both on and off page), one of the techniques that feels a little dubious after Panda and Penguin (and the rise of Bing, etc) is using keyword specific urls to funnel traffic.

If I have ABCCompany.com and they sell xyz widget, is buying XYZWidget.com as a traffic funnel still a good strategy? I know it was hot 2-3 years ago, but does it seem spammy now?
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Keywords in ULRs never had very much impact in recent memory. They have always helped slightly, and still do, but not enough to worry about it. Focus on the title tags instead.

By the way, much of what you used to know about SEO two years ago is ancient history now. Be careful how you tread!

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : Sound advice!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    Be careful how you tread!
    I stick with organic growth strategies. Current client is an established business but is ranking poorly for a few specific keywords so we're going through and optimizing site speed, making sure titles have some of the keywords we want and not just generic product model names, etc. A little more involved than just that, but I think you see what I'm about.

The rest is going to be growing evergreen content for their blog and working offsite with industry blogs to build better exposure and backlinks for their company.

Trust me, it's why I re-researching all my previous assumptions though.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You should also read up on google's EMD update, basically you need quality content in your relative niche. There isn't a whole lot of importance anymore.