#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Keyword Domain Question


    I just bought a keyword domain that was a dominate site a few years back but has been off line for a few. It has all three keywords of the phase I need to rank for but they are not in perfect order. CriminalBostonLawyer.com Think this baby still has any potential?

    Thanks for any feedback you may have.

    BIGCAT
  2. #2
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,606
    Rep Power
    1948
    Many will say "No, EMD killed it". I disagree.

    Truth is. Yes, it has major value and it should be used and optimized. You could be sitting on a gold mine if that's your money phrase and has the volume to justify said name.

    Note: JUST BECAUSE it has your keyword does NOT translate to instant rankings; however, it CAN be easier to do and it CAN serve a vast number of benefits.

    Comments on this post

    • realityhack agrees : I agree. KID doesn't kill you, but it will no longer get you ranked on it's own.
    Last edited by joshz; Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  4. #3
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    15,163
    Rep Power
    1948
    I would argue the difference today is that the domain name is no longer a factor or it the very least limited in some way so you cannot just buy the KID and expect top results on that phrase without earning it.
  6. #4
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,606
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by fathom
    I would argue the difference today is that the domain name is no longer a factor or it the very least limited in some way so you cannot just buy the KID and expect top results on that phrase without earning it.
    I beg to differ. Granted, it's not the magic bullet, but it does still provide benefits. I've seen it first hand on multiple sites post EMD update.

    I think you start to lose traction when you have www.keyword-keyword-keywordkeyword-keyword.com

    If you're bored, I'll show you an example if you're on Skype, Rod.
  8. #5
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    15,163
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by joshz
    I beg to differ. Granted, it's not the magic bullet, but it does still provide benefits. I've seen it first hand on multiple sites post EMD update.

    I think you start to lose traction when you have www.keyword-keyword-keywordkeyword-keyword.com

    If you're bored, I'll show you an example if you're on Skype, Rod.
    The problem with examples - if it is a test case the test is often done in a more controlled environment and not a real promotable domain and if the example is a promotable domain you are attempting to rank it normally (with links) that naturally make segregating & seeing the domain name value (of the KID) impossible to determine.

    I'm more than willing to see examples but I generally won't believe anything unless it is repeated 10 times.

    A single example is as easily as a fluke as it is a genuine truism.

    Doing the exact same thing 10 times over and getting precisely the same results is evidence that you are probably correct.
  10. #6
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,606
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by fathom
    The problem with examples - if it is a test case the test is often done in a more controlled environment and not a real promotable domain and if the example is a promotable domain you are attempting to rank it normally (with links) that naturally make segregating & seeing the domain name value (of the KID) impossible to determine.

    I'm more than willing to see examples but I generally won't believe anything unless it is repeated 10 times.

    A single example is as easily as a fluke as it is a genuine truism.

    Doing the exact same thing 10 times over and getting precisely the same results is evidence that you are probably correct.
    True. But I figured I'd give you entertainment for a few ;)

    Comments on this post

    • fathom agrees
  12. #7
  13. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    616
    Rep Power
    396
    I would go with Josh.
    It does have some edge over a domain with no keyword. The condition is - to justify the domain name with suitable content. If you do not justify the domain name you don't rank. Thats the anti-spam side of the story. If You take Matt Cutts word for it, he says we are "adjusting the knob" so that EMD would not "help you as much". Not as much, ok we get it. But it still does, Right?

    Now Fathom may have huge clients with budgets of 20k a month, where brand awareness is paramount. It is essential to grow big and rise above the noise. But we deal with tiny local clients who would want business from Delhi for Used Furniture. What would you expect to do in those cases? Go branding? With a budget of 250 Bucks a month? EMD rocks it in those cases. For any small business I would recommend EMDs or BKDs (branded keywords domains - a term I coined).
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  14. #8
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    15,163
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Now Fathom may have huge clients with budgets of 20k a month, where brand awareness is paramount. It is essential to grow big and rise above the noise. But we deal with tiny local clients who would want business from Delhi for Used Furniture. What would you expect to do in those cases? Go branding? With a budget of 250 Bucks a month? EMD rocks it in those cases. For any small business I would recommend EMDs or BKDs (branded keywords domains - a term I coined).
    Your argument falls flat using your logic... Let's start with EMD as in CriminalBostonLawyer.com

    The assumption is that you will rank easily for Criminal Boston Lawyer and thus capture top results for that query and maybe Criminal Lawyer and Boston Lawyer.

    But if someone needs a Lawyer for a DUI, malpractice, personal injury, or a dog bite case they aren't likely to use Criminal as a qualifying term.

    If search results are bias where you are searching from and the person knows they are in Boston they are less likely to search for Boston, 'again,' because results for local San Diego (or any place else) are not likely to be shown in Boston.

    That assumes how things were without the EMD algo... now Google is doing something new with Criminal Boston Lawyer (let's assume for the the moment it effects all words and not just a sampling of words) IF CriminalBostonLawyer.com words are included that makes what I noted before even worse.

    What about attorney? Does CriminalBostonLawyer.com help you rank for all phrases that swap lawyer for attorney?

    What about Framingham or Pittsfield (Boston Suburbs)? Does CriminalBostonLawyer.com help with those. Most people don't live in Boston correct?

    None of these issues have anything to do with EMD algorithm.

    The difference between $250/month and $20,000/month is huge but I would argue your $250 campaign is focused only on >>Criminal<< and >>Boston<< and >>Lawyer<< where the $20,000 is focus on all terms and phrases and words.

    If all I need to worry about is Criminal Boston Lawyer that's a $50 campaign... talk about expensive if you are doing it for $250.
  16. #9
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,274
    Rep Power
    1965
    An EMD will give some advantage, how much I don't know but it's not nearly as much as it once was, which is true of titles, key word stuffing, and even links to a degree. And as fathom said it needs all the other aspects as any site would which includes optimization, content, links, internal and external along with a good structure. I'm fairly sure we all know just having an EMD isn't going to automatically rank you.
  18. #10
  19. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,596
    Rep Power
    2294
    Everyone above is just giving their opinions. Because opinions are free... everyone can have one.

    My opinion: EMD likely no longer provides a significant edge over non-EMD sites. The EMD edge, if one does exist, is likely small. But, in SEO an intelligent SEO will attempt to garner every edge they can... even a small edge over the competition can make you the winner. I am pro-EMD but not excited about it.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

    ...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    There is not problem with the exact match domain. The real problem is the content and backlinks. If you have quality content and natural high quality backlinks and if stay away from spamming, your site is safe from EMD update.
  22. #12
  23. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    15,163
    Rep Power
    1948
    Originally Posted by oliviacis
    There is not problem with the exact match domain. The real problem is the content and backlinks. If you have quality content and natural high quality backlinks and if stay away from spamming, your site is safe from EMD update.
    Nice thoughts but how do you determine if content is of quality on not? What are the rules here? Just guess!

    What are natural high quality backlinks and what are not? What are the rules here? Just guess!

    What you described are likely PANDA & PENGUIN issues at best... so what is a EMD problem... surely the EMD update has something to do with an Exact Match Domain Names and not; it does not really exist - or that PANDA & PENGUIN don't exist.
  24. #13
  25. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    616
    Rep Power
    396
    What about attorney? Does CriminalBostonLawyer.com help you rank for all phrases that swap lawyer for attorney?

    What about Framingham or Pittsfield (Boston Suburbs)? Does CriminalBostonLawyer.com help with those. Most people don't live in Boston correct?

    None of these issues have anything to do with EMD algorithm.
    I understand those limitations. But why can't we target those keywords using inner pages. The home page is important but the with the trust gained in the niche (criminal + layer) and the geo target set (boston) on the Domain it should be easier to rank for suburbs and specific competencies in criminal litigation.

    Google is fairly adept at recognising litigators, attorneys and lawyers as synonyms. So with a little extra effort into link building (both external and internal) ranking for the synomyns is not a big deal with EMDs. I see google changing the page titles as displayed in SERPs to match those exact keywords when you target them the right way.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Jan 24th, 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Similar Threads

  1. Question about domain name keyword
    By ketanco in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
  2. What's more important: short domain or keyword rich domain?
    By jrochester182 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
  3. .us domain question (my keyword ends with letters "us")
    By Renkai in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM
  5. Keyword/domain question please
    By webbydev in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo