#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9

    Just optimized my first home page (onpage optimization). Can anyone review?


    Hi all..

    I just optimized my home page (no other pages yet).

    I am brand new to SEO and am super open to anyones analysis or thoughts etc.

    yogabearpc dot com

    Thanks guys!
  2. #2
  3. "The Guild" SEO Expert
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Arrow


    Welcome to the forum. On first glance this looks like a nice Wordpress site. I understand you are a "service area" local business, correct? Looks like no brick and mortar location and you are mobile in nature? Just confirm that because it would explain the lack of any local schema markup on your site.

    A couple of things I notice looking at your site:

    - you need to UNBLOCK your robots.txt file. That's way too locked down. Remove /wp-includes/ completely. There is a reason that the "default" Wordpress file looks like this:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    If you don't remove the /wp-includes/ line you run the risk of blocking a lot of CSS and JS scripts and throwing up partial renders with Google.

    - If you are going to "embed" YouTube videos, go the extra step and mark those up with rich schema. Here's a free tool to do it.

    - Looks like you are using the Yoast plugin and the ShareThis social plugin. Are you also using W3 Total Cache for your speed and script optimization? You have a lot of junk CSS and JS in this theme. Use W3 to move that stuff around and you will resolve that "above-the-fold rendering warning" in Google Page Speed Insights.

    - You're home page looks a little "top heavy" on both mobile and desktop. Check-out Where's The Fold? - Fold Tester - Where's The Fold? to see what I mean. It "may" cause you some issues.

    - Your overall page speed is very competitive. Good Time To First Byte and bottom-line load time. Look at correcting that "F" on image optimization though.

    - I don't need to tell you how "weak" your Domain Authority of 11 is in the scheme of things. With only 14 unique linking root domains I hope that quality link building or an investment in STRONG on-page content is a focus for you.

    These are just some quick takeaways. My advice to you is to work on your HOOK. What sets YOU apart in Sacramento from your competitors? Do you compete on price? Is it just the mobile "we come to you" angle? Is it an expertise issue? I'd focus less on the Yelp stuff and more on WHY we are the one and only choice.

    Finally, I can't tell you how IMPORTANT adding in appropriate schema is for long-term success (especially in JSON-LD format). I'd work to markup anything and everything you can. That will help you generate a strong knowledge panel and have other clear benefits as well.

    Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your site!

    Comments on this post

    • Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thanks!
    Casey Markee l The Guild & SEN Staff Expert
    Speaker, Writer, Trainer & Founder, Media Wyse
    Follow Me Online at @MediaWyse
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    Hi CMarkee -

    You are correct - we are a service area business. Thank you so much for your super indepth response. I understood about 15% of what you said, which is great it means I have a lot to learn. I will start googling now
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    Cmarkee - a few things..

    1) all of my images are optimized. My scores on page speed insights are 77/89 and on Pingdom a 96 A. Not sure what you are referring to here

    2) The upper fold has been everyones complaint... the site however is converting better than I ever could have dreamed. Below a 20% bounce average in the past 30 days.

    3) Tweaking W3, this is the best I was able to get my scores to. With my theme I don't think I could move the JS around anymore. My scores plumeted each time i tried.

    Thank you for the rest of your tips . I have some reading to do

    Originally Posted by cmarkee
    Welcome to the forum. On first glance this looks like a nice Wordpress site. I understand you are a "service area" local business, correct? Looks like no brick and mortar location and you are mobile in nature? Just confirm that because it would explain the lack of any local schema markup on your site.

    A couple of things I notice looking at your site:

    - you need to UNBLOCK your robots.txt file. That's way too locked down. Remove /wp-includes/ completely. There is a reason that the "default" Wordpress file looks like this:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    If you don't remove the /wp-includes/ line you run the risk of blocking a lot of CSS and JS scripts and throwing up partial renders with Google.

    - If you are going to "embed" YouTube videos, go the extra step and mark those up with rich schema. Here's a free tool to do it.

    - Looks like you are using the Yoast plugin and the ShareThis social plugin. Are you also using W3 Total Cache for your speed and script optimization? You have a lot of junk CSS and JS in this theme. Use W3 to move that stuff around and you will resolve that "above-the-fold rendering warning" in Google Page Speed Insights.

    - You're home page looks a little "top heavy" on both mobile and desktop. Check-out Where's The Fold? - Fold Tester - Where's The Fold? to see what I mean. It "may" cause you some issues.

    - Your overall page speed is very competitive. Good Time To First Byte and bottom-line load time. Look at correcting that "F" on image optimization though.

    - I don't need to tell you how "weak" your Domain Authority of 11 is in the scheme of things. With only 14 unique linking root domains I hope that quality link building or an investment in STRONG on-page content is a focus for you.

    These are just some quick takeaways. My advice to you is to work on your HOOK. What sets YOU apart in Sacramento from your competitors? Do you compete on price? Is it just the mobile "we come to you" angle? Is it an expertise issue? I'd focus less on the Yelp stuff and more on WHY we are the one and only choice.

    Finally, I can't tell you how IMPORTANT adding in appropriate schema is for long-term success (especially in JSON-LD format). I'd work to markup anything and everything you can. That will help you generate a strong knowledge panel and have other clear benefits as well.

    Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your site!
  8. #5
  9. "The Guild" SEO Expert
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by yogabearpc
    Cmarkee - a few things..

    1) all of my images are optimized. My scores on page speed insights are 77/89 and on Pingdom a 96 A. Not sure what you are referring to here
    Check the WebPageTest.org report. Here's the direct link to your Image Optimization report. You can still do better.

    As for the "Above the Fold CSS and JS Rendering Errors" you aren't going to be able to do that yourself. It requires an expert who can manipulate your theme and review your plugin. If you want a referral PM me.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    Boy CMarkee it would seem I had made a mess of things. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I let a couple new images slip through unoptimized (fixed). It also looks like my CDN broke sometime in the last two weeks unbeknownst to me and I am still struggling getting it back online.

    Thank you!

    Originally Posted by cmarkee
    Check the WebPageTest.org report. Here's the direct link to your Image Optimization report. You can still do better.

    As for the "Above the Fold CSS and JS Rendering Errors" you aren't going to be able to do that yourself. It requires an expert who can manipulate your theme and review your plugin. If you want a referral PM me.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    Originally Posted by cmarkee
    Welcome to the forum. On first glance this looks like a nice Wordpress site. I understand you are a "service area" local business, correct? Looks like no brick and mortar location and you are mobile in nature? Just confirm that because it would explain the lack of any local schema markup on your site.

    A couple of things I notice looking at your site:

    - you need to UNBLOCK your robots.txt file. That's way too locked down. Remove /wp-includes/ completely. There is a reason that the "default" Wordpress file looks like this:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    If you don't remove the /wp-includes/ line you run the risk of blocking a lot of CSS and JS scripts and throwing up partial renders with Google.

    - If you are going to "embed" YouTube videos, go the extra step and mark those up with rich schema. Here's a free tool to do it.

    - Looks like you are using the Yoast plugin and the ShareThis social plugin. Are you also using W3 Total Cache for your speed and script optimization? You have a lot of junk CSS and JS in this theme. Use W3 to move that stuff around and you will resolve that "above-the-fold rendering warning" in Google Page Speed Insights.

    - You're home page looks a little "top heavy" on both mobile and desktop. Check-out Where's The Fold? - Fold Tester - Where's The Fold? to see what I mean. It "may" cause you some issues.

    - Your overall page speed is very competitive. Good Time To First Byte and bottom-line load time. Look at correcting that "F" on image optimization though.

    - I don't need to tell you how "weak" your Domain Authority of 11 is in the scheme of things. With only 14 unique linking root domains I hope that quality link building or an investment in STRONG on-page content is a focus for you.

    These are just some quick takeaways. My advice to you is to work on your HOOK. What sets YOU apart in Sacramento from your competitors? Do you compete on price? Is it just the mobile "we come to you" angle? Is it an expertise issue? I'd focus less on the Yelp stuff and more on WHY we are the one and only choice.

    Finally, I can't tell you how IMPORTANT adding in appropriate schema is for long-term success (especially in JSON-LD format). I'd work to markup anything and everything you can. That will help you generate a strong knowledge panel and have other clear benefits as well.

    Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your site!
    So this is what Yoast spit out for me on robots.txt. It turns out I didn't even have a robots.txt file before! *smh*. I removed the wp-includes line completely per your suggestion. How does everything else look?

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Disallow: /comment-page-
    Disallow: /trackback/
    Disallow: /xmlrpc.php
    Disallow: /blackhole/
    Disallow: /mint/
    Disallow: /feed/
    Allow: /tag/mint/
    Allow: /tag/feed/
    Allow: /wp-content/images/
    Allow: /wp-content/online/
    Sitemap: ** . xml
  14. #8
  15. "The Guild" SEO Expert
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0
    What do you mean "this is what Yoast spit out for you?"?

    You really don't need to do any of that. At all. The more "open" and "simple" you make the Robots.txt file, the better.

    Personally, I would just do this:

    User-agent: *
    Allow: /
    Disallow: /search/
    Disallow: /*?s=
    Sitemap: yoursitemap.xml

    This is what I use on my own Wordpress site and it works great. But again, to each their own.
    Last edited by cmarkee; Jun 22nd, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    Sweet Updated to yours. THANKS

    Originally Posted by cmarkee
    What do you mean "this is what Yoast spit out for you?"?

    You really don't need to do any of that. At all. The more "open" and "simple" you make the Robots.txt file, the better.

    Personally, I would just do this:

    User-agent: *
    Allow: /
    Disallow: /search/
    Disallow: /*?s=
    Sitemap: yoursitemap.xml

    This is what I use on my own Wordpress site and it works great. But again, to each their own.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    9
    OK.

    1) I embeded the youtube video per your suggestion. I had to remove he <h2> and other text so hopefully I still get the benefit from google.

    2) I am using Yoast and W3 but not using ShareThis. W3 settings have been re configured and site should be doing better than before.

    3) Still getting CSS and JS issues above the fold. Tried fixing this yesterday and crashed my site for four hours.

    4) Definitely working on content, and definitely working on link building.

    Originally Posted by cmarkee
    Welcome to the forum. On first glance this looks like a nice Wordpress site. I understand you are a "service area" local business, correct? Looks like no brick and mortar location and you are mobile in nature? Just confirm that because it would explain the lack of any local schema markup on your site.

    A couple of things I notice looking at your site:

    - you need to UNBLOCK your robots.txt file. That's way too locked down. Remove /wp-includes/ completely. There is a reason that the "default" Wordpress file looks like this:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    If you don't remove the /wp-includes/ line you run the risk of blocking a lot of CSS and JS scripts and throwing up partial renders with Google.

    - If you are going to "embed" YouTube videos, go the extra step and mark those up with rich schema. Here's a free tool to do it.

    - Looks like you are using the Yoast plugin and the ShareThis social plugin. Are you also using W3 Total Cache for your speed and script optimization? You have a lot of junk CSS and JS in this theme. Use W3 to move that stuff around and you will resolve that "above-the-fold rendering warning" in Google Page Speed Insights.

    - You're home page looks a little "top heavy" on both mobile and desktop. Check-out Where's The Fold? - Fold Tester - Where's The Fold? to see what I mean. It "may" cause you some issues.

    - Your overall page speed is very competitive. Good Time To First Byte and bottom-line load time. Look at correcting that "F" on image optimization though.

    - I don't need to tell you how "weak" your Domain Authority of 11 is in the scheme of things. With only 14 unique linking root domains I hope that quality link building or an investment in STRONG on-page content is a focus for you.

    These are just some quick takeaways. My advice to you is to work on your HOOK. What sets YOU apart in Sacramento from your competitors? Do you compete on price? Is it just the mobile "we come to you" angle? Is it an expertise issue? I'd focus less on the Yelp stuff and more on WHY we are the one and only choice.

    Finally, I can't tell you how IMPORTANT adding in appropriate schema is for long-term success (especially in JSON-LD format). I'd work to markup anything and everything you can. That will help you generate a strong knowledge panel and have other clear benefits as well.

    Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your site!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
  2. Home page optimization
    By bsnnurse in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM
  3. Onpage optimization
    By opukhandakar in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM
  4. Onpage Optimization And Offpage Optimization
    By janu in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo