1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I've deindexed 90% of site, all user profiles. Will this hurt the site’s ranking?

We are running a quiz, stories, polls, questions website. The website has a total nearly 1M pages. Most of them (930K) are user profile pages, and related pages for the users ("About Me", "Stuff", "Followers", "Activity").

Only ~70K pages of the website contains quizzes, stories, polls, questions. These pages have much higher quality and more content comparing to the user profile pages.

The user profiles and related pages have a relative "thin" content, and while reading a lot of forums & discussions, I decided to follow the "global advice" and I've "noindex, follow" them, to avoid potential penalty from Google and to increase my overall website and remaining pages ranking

Just after doing this, 3 months ago, I observed a ~20% traffic drop from Google organic, that persisted even now. The 20% drop, is caused mainly, according to the Google Analytics, by the quiz, stories, questions page, which I consider strange

My questions:
    1) Do you think that I've done correctly? From this huge "noidex, follow" action I do not see any benefit till now, just the ~20% traffic drop. Also, I am afraid to remove the "noindex, follow" tag added to the user profiles, because of possible google penalties for thin content.

2) Do you think the Google will recalculate the overall ranking of my website better in future, because of this, and the organic traffic will raise recover?

Thank you in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hi, are you sure that the traffic you've lost is not due to the profile pages that have been noindexed?

Create an URL + google/organic segment in GA and see the quiz/polls urls traffic trend not only on a week over week basis but also on a Year over year as it may be some seasonality affecting you.

I think that your action must have been beneficial as profiel pages may have high bounce rate and also you've dramatically reduced your crawl budget consumption on those pages. It coudl be that google is re-adapting to your site and on how to crawl it properly. Don't worry about short term dance you should see things going slightly after a couple of weeks.

How are your rankings doing? you may lose rankings in the first week and then get back where you were or even better by end of week 2/3
  5. No Profile Picture

The traffic from Google organic is stable since the moment of drop. So, we are is still getting 20% less Google organic comparing to the period before the big "noindex". The noindex was made exactly on 29 Oct, and as told already, seems the quiz, stories, questions page organic traffic dropped only.

Also, comparing to the previous year period, it looks like we 20% less Google organic traffic. We hope it will recover some day, or at least we wont get penalize because thin content
    Last edited by qfeast_quizzes; Jan 8th, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You have done correctly. Best thing to do at this moment to add standards to new profiles that will signup you and tell them to add details to some extent so you could not have thing content at profile level atleast. And for rest website that contains quizzes, stories, polls, questions try to add more valuable ideas with strong content that will help you and in coming months you will see difference, also in rankings too