1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Talking Interview at a reputed India Ecommerce Website

Hi guys,

I would like to share this story with you. I beg for your forgiveness if this is not the right place to submit this.

Yesterday 12-sep-17, I went for an interview at Shopclues it is one of the reputed Ecommerce website after Amazon, flipkart, and snapdeal.

I went their thinking that i will learn something new from these people. How they manage/optimize millions of pages product pages how they target keywords and I always crave for tests related to digital marketing.

But I was really disappointed (no paper), 1st came the tech round with the “SEO Head”. He asked me to “tell me something about myself” and then I started saying those boring things, my name, my qualification, where have I been working previously.

After all this aside he asked me ‘have you how to do search keyword research?’ I told him for b2b I use this this this and for ecommerce I use this this this.

And after a lengthy discussion about on-page and technical SEO, he told me that there is a category page which is not stable. He said that the keyword fluctuates a lot and does not stay on the same position i.e. 1st page, 2nd page and sometimes vanishes!

I asked him about what do they do for link building and he told me that they don’t do any link building. Wait what not link building!!!!

He told me that and I will quote “Link building is something which takes a lot of time and a complete waste of time.” It made it clear to me why they are getting fluctuations in their rankings.

The SEO head told me that he can achieve top ranking by just doing on-page BUT they don’t stay there and I was still confused thinking that this is some kind of test.

And FYI I never underestimate other people so I never question them until I do the whole research and collect the facts.

I also asked him about their website if the website is https and he said NO. NOTE: please clarify if any1 of you have positive experience after implementing HTTPS. I never have used it so I don’t know but ppl like google, brian and neil has always put a focus on HTTPS.

Ok moving on, he told me that they do On-page, and technical SEO but before going there I checked their site speed and it was not good on both mobile/desktop.

He told me that we optimize title tags and Meta description to improve over ranking. And I was like??? (yes it helps but not by much).

This is all for now. Let me know if you want to hear more and If linkbuilding is important in ecommerce.

Update: Ok i also found this
    URL DA PA Mozrank Equity Links Total Links
    http://www.amazon.in 87 83 7 31.626 248.834
    http://www.flipkart.com 84 81 6 25.495 59.924
    http://www.snapdeal.com 75 70 6 18.597 42.024
    http://www.shopclues.com 64 56 6 6.18 6.491
    Last edited by dzine; Sep 13th, 2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Example URL delinked -- please do that yourself the next time
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've never worked on a site of that size before, looks like they get millions of users a day.

I am curious about how much time these companies would need to spend link building though.

If what they say is true, and they don't link build, they currently have 1,670,215 links from 18,898 domains.

93.4% of these are Dofollow too.

Not bad...
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Link building is still good but if not done right can be devisitating. And it doesn't sound right with 93percent being dofollow.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi Drago,
    Please also keep in mind that they have millions of pages...i dont know the details if the internal linking is done correctly how they are managing do/nofollow internally but come-on they are competeing against amazon, flipkart and snapdeal and also the keyword they gave me was "samsung mobile"(category page) i never did any research but i assumed that the kd would be off the charts for this one and i also asked them do they track thei backlinks in webmaster and they told me that it is "constant". In my experience a keyword will not going to stay at the top until you have a very strong link profile relevant to that keyword.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by generalhaan
    Hi Drago,
    Please also keep in mind that they have millions of pages...i dont know the details if the internal linking is done correctly how they are managing do/nofollow internally but come-on they are competeing against amazon, flipkart and snapdeal and also the keyword they gave me was "samsung mobile"(category page) i never did any research but i assumed that the kd would be off the charts for this one and i also asked them do they track thei backlinks in webmaster and they told me that it is "constant". In my experience a keyword will not going to stay at the top until you have a very strong link profile relevant to that keyword.
    I wasn't referring to their internal linking, they have over 1.5m Dofollow backlinks to their site, which certainly indicates some kind of link building activity has been going on.

Either that or they have a massive affiliate network.
  11. No Profile Picture

yeah they are very popular in india hence getting natural backlinks, but those links are random and most of the time are coming from some price comparison blogs or any other place.

yes thay do they have team covering every digital marketing aspect. i even told them social shares also help in making your site more authorotative in googles eye and help us in higher ranking and he said thats a different dept and i was like "and?"(your point is).

The thing that i said about internal linking is that many of their category pages ranking are fluctuating which is a sign of low backlink strength.

I still think that making quality backlinks is an integral part of any seo strategy and if some is saying otherwise PLEASE change my mind with some proven work i would really like to know that.

here is a guide that i find very interesting.
    https://www.attracta.com/pdfs/2016seostrategy.pdf
    Last edited by generalhaan; Sep 13th, 2017 at 04:48 AM.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by generalhaan
    yeah they are very popular in india hence getting natural backlinks, but those links are random and most of the time are coming from some price comparison blogs or any other place.

yes thay do they have team covering every digital marketing aspect. i even told them social shares also help in making your site more authorotative in googles eye and help us in higher ranking and he said thats a different dept and i was like "and?"(your point is).

The thing that i said about internal linking is that many of their category pages ranking are fluctuating which is a sign of low backlink strength.

I still think that making quality backlinks is an integral part of any seo strategy and if some is saying otherwise PLEASE change my mind with some proven work i would really like to know that.

here is a guide that i find very interesting.
    https://www.attracta.com/pdfs/2016seostrategy.pdf
    I'm definitely not saying backlinks aren't important, but there are a number of reasons rankings could be fluctuating, be pretty hard to pin it down to backlinks without some thorough research.

As I said before though, I've never worked on a site of this size so I imagine different rules apply.