1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Interview Questions SEO

Hi

We are about to interview developers with SEO experience and I would really appericate your help on what questions I should ask. The site is large and dynamic .........

Thank you
  3. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Hilary
    Hi

We are about to interview developers with SEO experience and I would really appericate your help on what questions I should ask. The site is large and dynamic .........

Thank you
    If you dont know what questions to ask, then i am pretty sure you dont know their answers either and your interviewees will definitely take you on a ride. Better ask someone who has extensive knowledge of SEO to interview ur developers.Otherwise you may end up hiring just another self proclaimed SEO guru

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees
    • kk bhakuni agrees : If its not your business then stay away from it, and let the experts to do it for you
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by Hilary
    Hi

Thank you
    When interviewing, I always like to throw in "trick" questions, just to see how they react.

How could we improve our Meta Descriptions......
    Where do you get your reciprocal links......
    What do you do to stay out of the sandbox.....
    How many top 10 ranks can you guarantee.....
    What kind of ranks can we expect with a PR4 homepage vs. a PR7....

BUT..... the key here is not "what questions should I ask", but rather "what answers should I expect". If you don't know what you're looking at, how are you going to tell the difference between a potential SEO God with a speech impediment and someone who doesn't understand the industry but has a Master's Degree in salesmanship?

In any professional service industry, there's always a handful of people you'll run into that can present the biggest load of crap, yet somehow, make people believe it..... But only those people that don't know anything about the subject.
  7. Tag44 Staffing Firm

Appoint some one who know SEO for the interview
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I agree with himanshu....hire someone to consult during those interviews on your behalf....someone with SEO exp that you trust and know ie an SEO practitioner -- or someone who has already hired same....

Without that knowledge, you might as well burn your bucks.....you WILL be taken for a ride and any SEO newbie will be able to tell by the questions you DON'T ask that your his/her way to a new cadillac....

:-(

Jim

Comments on this post

• realityhack agrees : I agree with JVR and Himanshu. - If this is worth hiring a developer for your company it should be worth a consulting fee to get the right one.
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

11. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

SEO is not a science, If you post a question here then you will get several answers, How you will decide that which one is correct, because most of them will be correct on different circumstances. Its not like 5 + 5 =10 is the correct answer.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ask about the google analytics,webmaster tools,meta tag and backlinks and how to build the links.These are some of the basic questions in seo.

Comments on this post

• realityhack : Better advice was given above. They won't know the answers to these questions... and meta tags? Hope you own fireproof clothing.
  15. MangiaMarketing.com

While I sort of agree with the above, some part of me also thinks it's ridiculous advice.

The problem is that this person needs to find someone qualified in SEO. Your answer is to have him find someone qualified in SEO to help him find someone qualified in SEO?

Well, by golly...sure, that's easy!

In case I'm being too subtle...how is he to find the qualified SEO to help him evaluate the other SEOs?

SEOChatters - c'mon, quit with trying to give the politically correct answer 100% of the time. I find it so hard to believe that a forum full of (generally) self-motivated, self-starting autodidacts can't have any faith in a new member to just need a push in the right direction. Stop caring about reputation and start caring about giving practical advice.

OP - I'm no expert, but I do know a thing or two about Google, and it turned up a few good resources:

http://www.themadhat.com/search-mark...iew-questions/
    http://www.allthingssem.com/seo-interview-questions/
    http://www.justmeandmy.com/80-seo-jo...view-questions

Do some studying up on SEO yourself. Do much of that by reading the stickies on this forum. Figure out answers to many of these questions on your own - this should help you take a solid step towards being able to evaluate the experience of an SEO, and being able to understand his/her processes and needs when you finally make the hire.

EDIT: You may also want to check out himanshu's new masterpiece: Beginner's Guide to Identifying the Genuine SEO

Comments on this post

• devil's_brother agrees : Good point
    Last edited by Aignam; Jul 6th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
    My NYC SEO Firm: http://www.mangiamarketing.com