1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Internationalisation from one code base

Hi all -

I have a question that I'd be SUPER grateful for some input on as I just can't crack it.

In short, I have an online store that uses the could-hosted SAAS platform 'Shopify' - it is based in Australia,
    with a .com.au domain but I also want to target new zealand customers ( I purchased the equivalent .co.nz
    domain name). Every tutorial I have ready outlines how to use hrefland and canonical links to direct to the
    correct site, but assumes a separate actual site; on Shopify this would require me to create a whole
    second shop and go down the route of syncing orders/customers/products - basically it'd be a real nightmare.

So my solution was to use some javascript to determine which domain they'd used to arrive at the site
    and therefore assume if they were from Aus or NZ, and change this if they asked to change currency.
    I can then use these conditionals to serve the correct hreflang/canonical tag and even the correct content
    (I'd only change this occassionally, such as prices, delivery info etc).

This would allow me to avoid showing nz customers a .com.au domain name which I think would
    be a turn off.

I'd really like some feedback if this would be an okay seo practice? I've certainly done similar things before
    in terms of language, it's just how google would find it that I'm not 100% on.

Thanks so much!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

This has been address many times here in the forums...

I will gloss over the main points, but look further in the forums for more info, of which there is plenty to sink your teeth into.

The best solution, in my opinion, you would be better off to use a (dot)com domain, period.

Use sub folders to separate the countries.

This would be your main site >>>> YourDomain.com/
    This would be your nz site >>>> YourDomain.com/nz/

Now you put hreflang tags in place to satisfy Google as to which page to serve to visitors. Google is really good at figuring this out.

Problem solved.

Benefits of this, you only have a single site to maintain. When you translate for local colloquialisms this solves the "Duplicate Content Issues" with the help of the hreflang tags.

My suggestion to you.....

Get a (dot) com.
    Redirect your (dot)com.au to the (dot)com.
    Proceed from there internationalizing the primary site.

This also eliminates the need for you to do this convoluted coding....

Originally Posted by dilby
    So my solution was to use some javascript to determine which domain they'd used to arrive at the site
    and therefore assume if they were from Aus or NZ, and change this if they asked to change currency.
    I can then use these conditionals to serve the correct hreflang/canonical tag and even the correct content
    (I'd only change this occassionally, such as prices, delivery info etc).
    One additional benefit, if you ever decide to support another language, you add a sub folder and implement hreflang tags.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi thanks for the reply.

I had looked in the forum but couldn't find anything that related to having one codebase. In the example above, adding the /nz subdirectory would require just that; adding a subdirectory, which I cannot do on shopify.

Also, I have used the .com.au domain name for 10 years now, so I'm worried would I lose value in redirecting that to a .com and alienate the existing australian customers; under your suggestions the nz people get to see a 'nz' but the australians just get the ameircan dot come, unless i'm mistaken.

In regards to the coding, I don't mind that as I am a developer and it's a piece of cake, I was just wondering if it would work.

Thanks again
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Apparently I have miss-understood your post. My advice to you therefore doesn't apply.

I apologize for the error.