1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Interesting keyword research technique...looking for input

Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

I read an article that is going to make me come out of the dark..i wanted this highly respected communities input on it.

I am an experienced SEO, so feel free to email me or send me a message for any search engine marketing help you might need. Least I can do for the information I've gotten off this message board.

Anyway I came across an interesting article that I wanted to share with you guys. It was recommended to me through an internet marketing friend.

I thought the title was funny "How To Find Keywords That Sell Better Than a Used Car Salesman"

I had a light bulb moment after reading this particular strategy in the article:

Q: So what is the million dollar secret to finding the keyword in your market that convert the most sales?
    A: Itís simple: run a massive Adwords pay-per-click campaign.

Google Adwords is a very efficient and inexpensive way to find the keywords that convert the highest possible sales.

Create an Adwords account (as the other pay-per-click options donít come close to the accuracy or tracking Google

offers) Place all of the keywords you accumulated--for your website--into a single AdGroup (there are better ways of

grouping your ads but its irrelevant in the context of this article) Bid high enough to have a top 8 listing for every word

(this will ensure many impressions).....
    The author go's on to give more detailed instructions on how to pull the technique off.

It sounds pretty good. Anybody use this strategy?

If so, please share your experience with it, I'm thinking of implementing it.

Thanks in Advance,
    JF

Oh yea, the rest of the article is here: http://www.keywordkingdom.com/keywordsthatsell.html
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Expense Caution

I would compare other intangibles as well. For instance, if you're consistently ranking #7, how many people are reading your ad? Even if there are millions of searches for that? Branding benefits would not necessarily be well-served by such a strategy, and you would probably get people a little confused about your core-business, if your wordgroup is too big.

I would use Google's adword research tool to find what are highly trafficked and relatively uncompetitive words.

Lastly, and this is just from my personal experience, you may care to go for more specific strings. As I see it, chances are that if someone can be that specific, they know what they want and are beyond the information stage of a buying decision.

From my intro to marketing class:
    Stages in a purchase decision:

-Recognition of need/desire
    -Search for Information - online, their social network, books/magazines
    -Comparison of alternatives - same
    -Purchase decision
    -Post-purchase reassurance/follow-up. (This is where people ask their neighbours if they got a good deal, and where you send a Christmas card thanking them for their business and mentioning your latest related offering.)

The point is that you can probably do best by aiming for people doing the comparison shopping and/or moving to the purchase decision. When someone is still at a 2-3 keyword search, they're looking for information (in fact, Googler Krishna Bharat has mentioned this is a problem area in search, as 2-3 keyword searchs tend towards ambiguity).

This is all just IMHO, of course.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Link?

Can you show a link to where you found the info?
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Yes I do this for any large campaign where there are several potential keywords to target that all really mean the same thing.

This is why I say it is always wise to run a PPC campaign. Within 1 month you will have all the data you need. You can use your tracking software or stats analysis to determine the most effective keywords and the search volume from those terms. From this you will work out the most effective keywords.

This can save lots of wasted hours and money targetting the wrong terms.

KEI Keyword Analyis gives you the basis for a campaign and a PPC campaign refines it.

Once your organic SEO takes over you can chose to either drop the PPC or if it offers reasonable ROI, keep it on.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Le Centre
    Can you show a link to where you found the info?
    I put the link in the initial post. Anyway it is here: [link]http://www.keywordkingdom.com/keywordsthatsell.html[/link]

And thanks for the input.