1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

An interesting challenge for a newbie

I've been doing bits and pieces of SEO for a few months - mostly technical stuff - but I'm no expert.

I've been approached by a client who is concerned that there are one or two articles online about him that are less than positive, written by other people.

My task is to get more positive articles coming up in SERP's when certain search terms are used, pushing the negative ones down.

My approach is going to be:

1) Add a blog page to the clients website and get him to write several articles in which he is mentioned (his name being the essential keyword), and publish them - 1 or 2 a week for a few weeks if possible.
    2) Improve the page titles and heading structure of his website - its very poor at the moment
    3) Do all the usual stuff in search console - submit pages, sitemaps etc
    4) Get the client to approach any other website owners with any authority at all in his field (I think he might know a few) and ask them to write an article or at least link to his website.

Does that sound about right? I think its going to be a pretty low budget so I need to prioritise and just try and get some results in the limited time available.

One thing I'm concerned about - his site is a Wix site. I've heard bad things about how SEO unfriendly they are - making it difficult to achieve some of the onsite technical tasks.

Any advice appreciated.
  3. Contributing User

This sounds like a nightmare for a few reasons:

* Low budget (never a good start)
    * Attempting to manipulate search results
    * Attempting to manipulate reputation (dodgy practice on almost all review sites)
    * Wix
    * Your point 4 will take time, which it sounds like you don't really have.
    * Optimising for a name MIGHT work, but he better have a unique name (is not John Smith) or share a name with anyone famous/infamous (Donald Trump / Charles Manson etc).

If it's not too late I would suggest you swerve this project.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the response sirbassface - definitely food for thought there.

His name is unusual enough I think so there is a chance we could get a result with that.

Regarding reputation - I don't see an ethical issue with a man defending his own reputation, as a counter-balance to negative articles.

Wix - do you know what it is about Wix that makes SEO more difficult?

It's not too late for me to avoid this project - will be talking to the client in more detail to determine the way forward.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by murph
    Thanks for the response sirbassface - definitely food for thought there.

His name is unusual enough I think so there is a chance we could get a result with that.

Regarding reputation - I don't see an ethical issue with a man defending his own reputation, as a counter-balance to negative articles.

Wix - do you know what it is about Wix that makes SEO more difficult?

It's not too late for me to avoid this project - will be talking to the client in more detail to determine the way forward.
    Hi Murph,

Yep, defending his reputation in a non-aggressive professional way is a-ok, but you/he are talking about deliberately trying to outrank webpages in order to hide the criticism of others. That's a bit shady ini itself and often counter to review site policy and search engine guidelines (though I may be wrong on this and happy to be corrected).
    Here's the key question IMHO: does your client have the option to respond on the sites carrying bad reviews? If so, no problem. Your client just needs to apologise, explain their position, explain how it's been addressed, often the opportunity to put things right (depending on the complaint).
    If the information is factually INCORRECT and he has no right to reply on the sites in question then thats a defamation issue and may then be a legal matter depending on your country / state etc .

Wix, I have seen sites rank well on Wix but I think they have a LOT of very low quality sites which may / may not cause search engines to devalue sites hosted this way.

As always, happy to hear others opinions.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Wix sites, basically a one page site, harder to rank than a normal site. Takes some skill sets you may not have and you will have to develope them. Do not promise the earth and sky to your client when you go about ranking this site. You could run into a brick wall.

I disagree with sirbassface about the low quality of other sites based on wix affecting your site negatively. My point being there are a ton of bad / low quality WordPress site all over the net and they don't negatively affect the rankings of any WordPress based site I manage or for others either. The bad quality of other sites, will actually have a positive effect if you do your work correctly. Meaning if all of your competition is poor / bad quality / bad UX, then ranking your site will actually be very much easier.

As for rep management, it is normal procedure to push other pages down in the serps to make the bad stuff float down to 2 - 3 or even lower pages.

My question is....
    Did your client do something to earn this bad rep, or is it someone trying to generate a bad rep profile...

Example....
    Client has a business and deliberately swindled / hoodwinked / cheated his customers. Hires you to make that go away. Then you have an ethical issue only you can answer.

If on the other hand, it is someone deliberately trying to harm the rep of your client for no reason other than to cause harm. Then pushing them down is a good idea.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Hi.

The problem that you're client has encountered is common in the corporate world. As we can see that the use
    of the digital media has led to the creation of digital reputation among companies. So, companies and even
    individual professionals are paying their attention to improve their e-reputation by consulting various
    digital marketing companies.

My advice in this situation would be to post the content that fosters positivity among the viewers about your
    client. You need to share significant content in the form of post, reviews and testimonials about your client
    that looks natural. For that you need to get some good writers that can complete your task in a professional
    way. I've personally found many professional, top-notch writers on contentmart.com at a rate that is very
    competitive. I hope you'll find this site beneficial to draft the awesome content for you.