Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The Importance of Your Title --Man have we lost traffic!

About one week ago Yahoo changed the title on our site. For about 1 and 1/2 years Y had incorrectly had our title showing in Serps.

Yahoo had our title as Professional (our service). The full title is Professional (our service) geo region.

Since Yahoo went on their own our site has been ranked #1 for our service (the #1 phrase in the industry).

The industry is 99% local/regional. Without the location in the title we had significantly more traffic from Y.

Looking at the difference on Yahoo for that phrase...we are currently getting only 25% of the traffic we used to get from Y for that phrase.

Yahoo searches for the industry phrase have been the #1 source for SE traffic on our site: about 11% of search engine traffic.

I assume we will lose about 8% of SE traffic w/this change.

Not sure if it will effect conversions and business signfificantly. Most direct conversions come from keyword phrases w/ a regional description.

Am currently redesigning the site. Not sure about what to do with title. Keep it regional and more specific or take out the regional description in the title and go for max traffic.

Anyways the traffic difference is significant. Makes me think about what EGOL has often said relative to PPC - make the ad compelling.

Any comments appreciated.

Dave
    255 chars s*ck
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Dave, you said that the industry is 99% local/regional. Even though you were getting more traffic without the location in the title, can you still serve the clients who are out of your region?

If you can't, then how else can you monetize that out-of-region traffic? If you can't, I'd probably focus on the regional traffic that you can convert.
  5. Domain Hatcher

Is your site listed in Y directory and that is why that tanked you with regional Des?

D
  7. Free the SB

Because they had "screwed up" the title we had never gone into the Y directory. My understanding was that they would then show the correct title. They just changed it recently.

I'm interested in opinions and different points of view from all of you.

The majority of our "buyers" don't act till they have had considerable time to think about this. We have a large number of conversions that don't act till 3 or more site visits. Some buyers think about this for years. I really won't be able to measure the impact of this for some time...if at all.

Just fishing for different ideas.

Dave
  9. Free the SB

Any more bright ideas? I'm fishing for wisdom and different perspectives.

Dave
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am looking for bright ideas on this topic too....

I recently paid $299 for a year to get one of my sites into the yahoo directory. I felt good about submitting the site and am glad to be listed in their directory. I got what I paid for - my biz name in the directory and a link to my site.

Not expected was the change to the title of my index page when it appears in the Yahoo organic SERPs. Now it is my biz name instead of a title tag that I have worked VERY hard testing, recording results, testing, recording results - to make it RAZOR SHARP. My title tag has my important keywords and that used to make it show prominently in the Yahoo SERPs. Now that Yahoo is using my biz name my good position in their organic SERPs is almost wasted in comparision to what I have carefully and deliberately developed.

To fix this I went to the site submission page and was excited to see that they had a link for changing your site title. After clicking that link I see... "For companies, the title submitted must be the company name. Any request to change a title to something other than the actual company name will be rejected."

They can use my company name in the yahoo directory. Fine. But if that is what they use in the organic SERPs my visibility in their SERPs and my CTR have gone into the tank (although my rankings are as good as ever). I will have a huge negative return on that $299. My profits will be off many many times that $299 because of this change to my title in the organic SERPs.

I can't understand why they are doing this? I thought that I was doing a good thing to pay for a spot in their directory - but the unanticipated result is negative. Any ideas on how I can get them to use my title tag instead of my biz name in the organic SERPs?
    Last edited by EGOL; Jun 28th, 2005 at 08:22 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Wow, that is terrible. I was considering paying for a couple of sites to be included in the directory. I guess I will look at some alternatives for that $300 now.
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    All of the above is part of the reason I tell everyone not to pay to be in any directory... including Yahoo. Only trust in yourself. Once again... do not pay to be in the Yahoo directory.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  17. Domain Hatcher

Egol,
    I have had the same thing happen in the past. The back link is not worth it if they refuse a good Description/Title. I asked yahoo one time, how the heck could I get the old results back with the organic title/description I had before the stupid one was assigned to me by someone who could care less about my site and hard work?

Their sarcastic reply was – “if you liked the old results then why did you spend $300 to be in our directory? You can always cancel.”

“Would that return me to my rightful place with old title and description?” I asked.

“Yes it would but you don't get your $300 back”- they said.

“Who cares? Cancel me.”

Believe it or not it took less than 30 days and the results were better without directory listing.

After that I learned all I could so not to let that happen again. Some of my sites have received a huge bump in SERP’s and traffic because of Y directory. And if one of them doesn’t, I cancel that Domain entry.

It is a $300 risk so now I apply these rules:

90% of the time I have gotten the title/description I want at Yahoo directory by doing 2 things.

1) When they ask you for description - Make it perfect...without hype of any sort and unique. Unique is a must! Go through directory and see what your competition uses and use something a little different.

2) They also give you an opportunity to give comments about your site and this is your best opportunity to land a great title/description.

I cannot stress this enough, the comments box is how you can get a great description.

In a scientific, almost dictionary-like way, make your claim for title and description.

Give them url's of your site that are on target and truly professional as examples (aprox 5).

After you do this write these words under your last comment
    My first suggestion of title/description would be 1) - your title/description
    My second suggestion of title/description would be 2) - your title/description

Always give them a choice. They prefer you do the work for them however they don’t like being told what to do. So if you are respectful and you allow for choice you most likely will get what you want.

And yes, the directory has helped in serps.

D

Comments on this post

• earlpearl agrees : Nice help bigdoug
    • randfish agrees : Remarkable Words of Wisdom - Bravo! Doug
    • alloemseo agrees : holler
    • klardi agrees
    Last edited by bigdoug; Jun 28th, 2005 at 09:48 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Thanks for that feedback, bigdoug. I am going to submit that form and ask for my title tag and justify... and give alternative choice - but it will not be my biz name.

Has anyone else see this same thing happen? If we have a number of folks post here then maybe they will reconsider what they are doing in the organic SERPs. Or maybe you have discovered how to get this changed? I followed their instructions precisely when submitting - had no idea that this would be the result.
  21. Free the SB

Great comments BD. Have to spread some rep around before I can get back and give you some.

Still don't know what to do w/my title.

Dave
  23. Free the SB

Big Doug: Great post. Going to go over it w/ a fine tooth comb.

Somehow mysteriously...our title is back up without the geo description.

I didn't do anything when it changed and didn't do anything to see it change back. Must have been the Yahoo/help Dave get traffic gods who heard my whining and changed it back.

That is a hellova Search engine

Dave
  25. Free the SB

An update

Saw a reference to this earlier today and went back to measure traffic. Since Yahoo went back and removed the geo description to our site, traffic for that term from Y has been 2-3 times better than when it had the geo description.

Same position in Yahoo serps during the entire period.

Interesting. I'll look at conversions later.

Dave
  27. SEO Bum
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Has anyone else see this same thing happen? If we have a number of folks post here then maybe they will reconsider what they are doing in the organic SERPs.
    yes i have experienced this too, we rank #1 in yahoo for a highly competetive keyword (41.4mil results) and all you seee is "Business-Name" as our title whle #2 & #3 have their keyword rich title tag.. if there is a way to get your natural TT while keeping the directory link, polease let us know... this will help ALOT.. thanks!

and bigdoug, insightful as always
  29. Domain Hatcher

Originally Posted by earlpearl
    Saw a reference to this earlier today and went back to measure traffic. Since Yahoo went back and removed the geo description to our site, traffic for that term from Y has been 2-3 times better than when it had the geo description.

Dave
    Got to love that brother...lol You will be on top (higher traffic) in no time earl

Glad some of the suggestions here at SEO- Chat have helped.

It certainly is a valuable forum.

D
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: