1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Impact of SEO After Switching from U.S. Host to Canada Host?

Hey gang,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm piggy-backing off a previous thread I read about SEO and .ca domains vs .com domains in the affects on search rankings.

I'm currently hosted in the U.S. but thinking of switching to a Canadian host physically located in Canada in the city where I live (Vancouver). The .com would remain the same.

I'd be keeping the domain registrar as is in the U.S. with the current hosting provider, but switching the DNS info to the Canadian host.

My site has great placement and rankings in Google due to our SEO efforts, but I'm REALLY nervous about how switching hosts from U.S based to Canadian based could affect and/or negatively impact search results and placement within Google and across the board.

If anyone could share their thoughts or give me some advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Your primary target market is in Canada? You switch hosts from country to country you will experience geographic fluctuations. So if you move to Canada canadian searches will improve and US search may decline (may decline). What is your current ranking in each geographic index?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Google Worker
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you are targeting the Canadian market, definitely use Canadian hosting. It will rank higher on SERP.