1. Nature Photographer
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Image Optimization

I make sure I use descriptive names for my alt tags, mainly because I'm a photographer. My question is, unless you're a photographer (tying to sell/find your images via search engines), is there a reason to make sure your images (alt tags) are optimized?
  3. Contributing User

Hi,

Yes, it is for many reasons.

First the Search engine will understand what that image is about, this will help it send in more visitors to my website. Some one searching for a "xyz recipe" image will be also interested to buy my recipe book if they click on the image and visit my website.

Second, It is helpful to the differently abled who use readers to understand website. In that case an Alt text will make more sense than a DSC001 text. Even for others who do not use a screen reader they can't understand if the images do not load and if there is no Alt text.

More over Alt text needs to be descriptive to help the S.E understand even more better & classify them. IMO Google understands images a lot better than Bing. Do a search for a term in both the engines and you can find out which one is better

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  5. Nature Photographer

That makes sense, thanks!
  7. Nature Photographer

Just wanted to add, that my site should be pretty good, SEO-wise (imagesinthebackcountry<dot>com). I had another photographer asking a question about his site. He doesn't rely on images to sell. He get's paid being a wedding/portrait photographer. I do nature stuff.
  9. No Profile Picture

I know this question was already previously answered but I wanted to again state that yes, it is very important to add your alt tag descriptions whether you are a photographer or not. Overall it helps with the general SEO of the page you are trying to rank and if you are using the Wordpress SEO by Yoast Plugin, it will actually give a warning when the alt tag for your images don't match with your SEO keyword. Hope that helps!
  11. Nature Photographer

Thanks for the confirmation.
  13. Nature Photographer

Originally Posted by Nikita007
    Hello Hikin,

Keep in mind that your image should not be copyrighted. Before publishing, use strong keywords & descriptions for your image. The keyword should be also inserted in Title of image. Thereafter, pin your images on Pinterest.com which is very helpfull website for images to optimize.
    As a photographer, why would I do that? That makes no sense.

Now, using Pinterest to promote my site makes sense. I really haven't promoted my images on my Pinterest site yet.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    As a photographer, why would I do that? That makes no sense.

Now, using Pinterest to promote my site makes sense. I really haven't promoted my images on my Pinterest site yet.
    Hi Mike,

Sorry about that - your question drew the attention of oodles of spammers. Just spent about 10 minutes cleaning this thread up by deleting their generic advice etc. (They leave such posts aiming to boost their thread count high enough to get a signature with links.)

I think the spammer - who didn't read your question, as you can tell - meant that you shouldn't use material that others have copyrighted. Insightful, right? Aren't you glad they chimed in ?

Re: Pinterest ... I guess sometimes generic advice comes in handy, lol.

Comments on this post

• Hikin Mike agrees : The spammers are soooo helpfull...LOL!
    Working on rock the pitch, my soccer site.
    I also offer CRO consulting & split testing services. PM me if you want a higher conversion rate / help figuring out what to test.