1. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Identifying 'bad neighbourhoods'

Can anyone let me know whether linking to a 'heavily filtered site by Google' even if it shows PR can adversely affect your rankings? Also, can sites be 'bad neighbourhoods' and still show PR and backlinks in Google? What ways are the best methods of identifying suspect sites that might harm rankings if you link to them? Is it best to check whether said sites appear in Google for their index page title or are other methods to protect ones interests needed?

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My guess is PR is PR in every kind of ''neighbourhood" ,isn't it ?!
  5. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is a very, very good question.

I helped another "professional" SEO last month on a clients site. Site couldn't rank in Google for anything. (naturally, I got stiffed outta my modest fee...lol) I went through his link partners and removed "questionable sites" using my own techniques and sent over modified content pages with less "spammy" text and more KW diversity (these were never used). Two weeks after all the links were removed, the site now ranks top ten for all the targets in G with some #1's. Relative to where it should have been ranking. If they would have used the revisions, would ranked for additional KW phrases in my opinion...lol

So, in answer to your question, yes, IMHO, even if a site shows PR, if you link to the "wrong" sites, you are inviting problems with your own rankings. If I told you my exact methods for link analysis, I'd have to shoot you ;) So, approach it from the standpoint, if it looks, smells and tastes fishy, odds are you don't wanna be eating it regardless of how pretty the green bar looks.

Originally Posted by newbieuk23
    Can anyone let me know whether linking to a 'heavily filtered site by Google' even if it shows PR can adversely affect your rankings? Also, can sites be 'bad neighbourhoods' and still show PR and backlinks in Google? What ways are the best methods of identifying suspect sites that might harm rankings if you link to them? Is it best to check whether said sites appear in Google for their index page title or are other methods to protect ones interests needed?

Thanks.
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by gchaney
    ...If I told you my exact methods for link analysis, I'd have to shoot you ;) So, approach it from the standpoint, if it looks, smells and tastes fishy, odds are you don't wanna be eating it regardless of how pretty the green bar looks.
    Is that all you want to divulge? Why not just tell me and shoot me afterwards? ;) gCIAney???

Agree with the "fishy statement" of course...