1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I was told that my website is shot, did I get screwed by the SEO Pro?

This is a long story so you might want to back out now...

They say that cooler heads prevail so when I have an issue with something I like to take some time to think about it. When I look at this issue now, weeks later, it seems even worse than it did before.

I joined this forum and others to learn how to do SEO. I had made a website for my local contracting company and did whatever on-page SEO I could while not being spammy. It worked pretty well, in a year or so I was getting decent visitors, but I wanted a bit more.

After discussions with an SEO Pro that I found online and seemed to have the respect of his peers, he asked me my budget and said he could work with it (it's low for typical SEO, but I took his word that he would be able to produce results).

As an aside, I gauge how my website is doing by the local visitors that I see in Google Analytics. Since it's a local business, I only care about the people in my area who are going to my site. I don't care if I get 30 visitors from Virginia because they are just telemarketers and SEO spammers. The real number that matters are the visitors in my state.

Prior to hiring this SEO Pro, I was getting a solid 45-50 visitors from my local area per month. That lead to a few calls per week. My goal in paying an SEO Pro was to get more local visitors and more calls. There was no specific amount discussed, but "more" was the key part of this deal, not less.

The first month the SEO Pro made a couple changes to my website, mostly he added these odd words to the title of every page, words that don't actually go along with the type of work that I do. I didn't argue, he's the Pro. I had given him the keywords and services that I knew of and expected him to know what would "sell" the best.

He then continued on for 6 months. Every month he would send a report of stuff that he did. When I looked that stuff up, such as the YouTube video, it was already gone. When I asked him, he made an excuse about getting links up quick is all that's needed, or something like that. When I looked at the articles or other things he had links to, half of them were broken, the other half were horribly spun articles on these backwoods spammy websites. But I really didn't know the truth, I took his word for it. He would post a report from Webmaster Tools saying how there were gains, and I trusted that. I made excuses and attributed the lack of calls I was getting to the fact that it was a cold Winter.

FWIW, during the 6 month period I added many pages for different areas and services. All of them were 100% hand written and unique and I always showed the SEO Pro when I made changes to be sure they were ok and not something that would get penalized.

Fast forward 6 months, my website is dead. I look back in Analytics and see that my website went from 45-50 visitors every month to 20 visitors at the end of the first month he started. Then progressively down to 7 visitors at the end. I think the title change with the bad keywords helped do that, but the articles may have helped too.

Before looking into what I mentioned above, I went to someone to do AdWords for me since SEO wasn't helping. This person looked into my website and what was linking to it. He said that whoever did SEO destroyed my site. He said that the SEO Pro used horrible websites to post bad articles and the anchor text was something that gets 0 searches and doesn't even apply to my website or service.

So I brought this information back to the SEO Pro with an open mind, I wanted to see what he had to say about it because the other guy might have been FoS. The response was basically saying that different SEO Pros use different methods, he also said he wasn't sure about the keywords being so off. Using the correct keywords was one of the reasons why I wanted an SEO Pro to do this for me in the first place, now I find out that it was all wrong.

As I looked more, I found more and more horribly spun articles. When I mentioned that to him, he mentioned yet again that due to my limited budget he had to outsource the articles to writers. I found that disingenuous for 2 reasons. First of all, he agreed to the budget and said he can get results. If he had told me that the budget was too small in the first place, I would have never contracted with him for the work. Second, there is no way in hell that a human being wrote those articles, I believe he lied to me about that.

Here are some of the websites that WebMaster Tools shows the articles backlinking from:

bloggy.se
    playspidermangames.net
    opticalhdmi.com
    kiwibox.com
    stock-options-picks.com
    fsdownload.com
    folkd.com
    sopwer.com (this site is down now but the preview in WMT's shows a big closeup of a vagina)
    nabble.com

So I asked the SEO Pro twice if he would put his name on the work that he did for me. I asked him if he would use my website going from 45-50 local visitors down to 4 visitors as a before and after example of his service. He refused to answer me and will not reply back.

I would put my name on every single bit of work that I have done, or I would go back and correct it.

I feel like I have been taken advantage of. I didn't just find some random guy, I found someone that everyone knows and would assume does great work. But looking at it now, it seems as if he took my money and then wrote my job off to $10-20 worth of Fiverr.com gigs per month.

I went from getting a couple calls per week from the website all Summer and Fall up until December, to where I am at now: not a single call since March.

I feel robbed, stolen from...
    Last edited by Contra; Jun 22nd, 2014 at 06:02 PM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sorry you had to go through that, what makes your site shot? You can always change your titles if that was the issue. your backlink profile might give a clue or two as well.. whats your domain name?

Comments on this post

• Contra agrees
  5. Contributing User

Hi Test-ok. I sent you a PM with the domain.

As for whether the website is shot or not, the possibility or it being better to just make a new site instead of dealing with all the current bad links and anchor text was brought up by the AdWords guy.
  7. SEO Since 97

I only found a handful of links...the lack of links is your problem and a little bit of tweaking on the titles and content.
    You do not need to create a new site.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
  9. Cool bra. Go with Christ!

Originally Posted by Contra
    ...the possibility or it being better to just make a new site instead of dealing with all the current bad links and anchor text was brought up by the AdWords guy.
    Well it would be a consideration if you'd never got good results from the website, but - since you did, I agree with Test-ok and would be inclined to fix this one rather than start from scratch. Just...
    1. Revert to your original titles and content (or an updated/improved version).
    2. Use the Disavow Links tool in GWT to (effectively) remove those spam back links... (More Info' Here).
    Take care not to disavow any old links, or links that aren't from spammy origins (link age is a factor and one good reason for keeping the existing domain).
    3. Meanwhile divert your SEO fees to Adwords until you get your rankings back.

Good Luck.

Comments on this post

• Contra agrees
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 22nd, 2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume".. Egol 22nd Feb 2008
    New to SEO/SeoChat?...Click Here
    Canonical Problems?... Click Here
    Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Well it would be a consideration if you'd never got good results from the website, but - since you did, I agree with Test-ok and would be inclined to fix this one rather than start from scratch.
    Thanks for the reply.

You are right, Test-ok has helped me out a bit behind the scenes and shown me that it's not as bad as I thought, meaning it's recoverable.

Though I am still not happy that I paid to have my site tank. I could have done that myself for free!
  13. Cool bra. Go with Christ!

...I am still not happy that I paid to have my site tank. I could have done that myself for free!
    I am a little surprised you chose not to "name and shame" the "SEO Pro that I found online and seemed to have the respect of his peers"

Not sure I could have kept it to myself
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 23rd, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, Test-ok has helped me out a bit behind the scenes and shown me that it's not as bad as I thought, meaning it's recoverable.

Though I am still not happy that I paid to have my site tank. I could have done that myself for free!
    Sorry to hear about your problems. As an SEO who's been around for many years. It's very frustrating to hear stories like this. I hear it from at least 1 or 2 clients every few months that they were ripped off or didn't get the work they were promised. Good news is, Google doesn't Penalize sites anymore, what they do is simply do not reward you for bad practices. Revert your site to the old layout or plateform, go into Google Tool and disavow the questionable links. Then built your link structure with quality local businesses.
    Make some deals with local businesses for content exchange and put up a few flyers to get type in traffic. You should see your local traffic back up in a few weeks.
    <snip>
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jun 23rd, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I am a little surprised you chose not to "name and shame" the "SEO Pro that I found online and seemed to have the respect of his peers"

Not sure I could have kept it to myself
    I'm still debating my options so I don't want to do anything that could negatively effect something else that I decide to do later on.

Plus, there is always the possibility that I am completely wrong and he did in fact do a good job and things out of his control effected my website. When it comes to a man's livelihood I think it's important to be sure.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
    • GabrielG agrees : That's a very honorable attitude. Highly impressed, because it's easy to see how you'd justifiable be angry.
    Last edited by Contra; Jun 23rd, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
  19. Contributing User

As I mentioned earlier, I went to an SEO pro because I simply don't know enough. I don't know enough about keywords, I don't know enough about the right type of links and how to get them. I figure I got as far as I could on my own and it was time to let a pro get me further.

When going to a pro, I figured he would be aware of how to properly do SEO for a local service. I figured something like an electrical contractor would be common enough for an SEO Pro to know how to use the right keywords in order to get the site ranking well when potential customers search for electrical services.

Looking back at it now, I am amazed by the keywords he used. Many of them don't even apply to my trade or service and the ones that do are terms that I can't imagine anyone ever typing in when searching for an electrician to perform a service.

The more I think about it, the more I think he never read my website, he never saw what I do, he never put any thought into the campaign. I honestly think he simply handed it off to a Fiverr guy who made up these crap keywords (Probably due to lack of English Language comprehension) and posted spun articles on free websites.

A few nice people have helped out behind the scenes and said that all the Follow links that I've had point to my site have passed 0 page rank.
    Last edited by Contra; Jun 24th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thank you. Good story.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

hey contra you have to just hire the seo person for your business promotion so that he could work only on your site promotion and the maintainance as compare to believe in those person who not able to fulfill their promises .money that you given the seo company give that money to the seo person that work only for you number of company work on this way they not hire any comapny for th peomotion but hire the quality seo person that work for them so why not you do it

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : That's some great hindsight!
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by omthavertch
    hey contra you have to just hire the seo person for your business promotion so that he could work only on your site promotion and the maintainance as compare to believe in those person who not able to fulfill their promises .money that you given the seo company give that money to the seo person that work only for you number of company work on this way they not hire any comapny for th peomotion but hire the quality seo person that work for them so why not you do it
    I know, I know... I should have do it.
  27. Contributing User

Honestly, I figured that this thread would be enough to make him answer for what he did, or at least attempt to defend his actions. Yet he ignores it while coming on daily looking for more prey.