1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I need urget help with Google not indexing pages

Hello everyone,

About two weeks ago I noticed that only 22 of my pages were indexed by Google. This is waaaay down from my high of around 400 in July. When I go to my Google webmaster account on the main page it says i have submitted 175 pages to Google index and 174 have been approved. However when I go to the Google Index tab it shows a graph and says I currently have only 22 pages indexed. I only practice white hat SEO tactics and I have no critical errors/messages or Malware messages. I asked Google to crawl a bunch of my pages and submitted my homepage and all of its links as a starting point in the indexing process but I still do not see a change in the number of indexed pages, that was a week ago. Could this be caused by the Hummingbird update? How long should I wait to see if my pages are indexed before I should start panicking? A lot of my rankings for keywords have dropped drastically and I am starting to get really worried that I did something wrong, I have no idea what though. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Pretty close to impossible to help without knowing the url
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Orangeseo,
    I agree with cbp - it would definitely be easier to help if we knew the URL...we could provide more insights.

Along with your URL, can you tell us when the site launched?

As for your question about the Hummingbird update - on a general level, that update deals with how Google handles long tail keyword queries, and would not affect the number of pages you have indexed.
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Relax, Orangeseo, if you only do whitehat SEO, there is probably no reason to panic!

Sometimes the bugs in these tools act up. First, make sure there is a problem. Go to google and type: site:[domainname].com (no space after the colon) and see what is returns. If it returns something close to the right number of pages, you are fine. (Don't expect an exact count.)

(Sometimes you need to go to the last page of search results and below the last result find the link to "see more results like these" -- that way you can get a more accurate count.) Let us know what you find.

If the count is low, you sometimes have to wait up to a month (sometimes 2 but that's unusual, I don't think it happens any more): things will get re-crawled in the meantime.

Since your SEO is all white-hat, this should at worst be a technical glitch (unless you are attacked by clever negative SEO, which is highly unlikely).

The best way to start looking into technicalities is by reading this sticky in the Google Optimization forum:
    Google Crawling and Indexation 101
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 20th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
  9. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This question's on about 6 other forums if you Google his text
  11. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    This question's on about 6 other forums if you Google his text
    and I thought that was Philips line.
  13. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

KP is giving me a hard time for persistently recommending that we Google phrases to identify fake threads. I have now unstuck the threads that recommended this because it can be a bit more involved. There are weird forums and blogs that automatically pick up much of SEOchat content, so it's not always through the poster's fault that this duplicate content gets spammed across the Web (not helping SEOchat's SEO, I am sure.)

I don't propose we doubt every reasonable question asked, and I don't propose we sit around running posts through Copyscape (though automating that would not be a bad idea!). I proposed clear criteria for doubting new threads. Those are:
    1. The question is stupid, incoherent, obviously fake, in broken English, or could have been answered with an elementary search.
    2. The poster has a negative rep or prior infractions.
    3. Poster not following up, not providing further info etc.
    There are many other things strongly correlated with spam that I won't get into here, like the phase "Please suggest me!" (That's almost always spam).

I mean, come on, it's tedious to deal with spam all the time, and I don't do it for myself, cut me some slack. ;)

In this case, I am convince the original post is genuine.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 20th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Not spam

I am not spamming, I posted a similar thread but forgot to include keywords and I did not get any replies so I posted it again. Sorry for confusing people. I did not mean to start a whole ordeal. The url of the site is [DELINKED]]. It is a wordpress site so I understand that it is not ideal for optimizing, however I had several of my location pages ranking decently high before I noticed this indexing issue. If the URL will help you provide me more info it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all the responses.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 24th, 2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: You can't post URLs to your site in this forum. You can do so in the Site Review forum
  17. Agency SEO

Wordpress sites are PERFECT for optimizing.
  19. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I second cbp, I am seeing over 800 pages indexed as well.

Though when I click to the last page of results, it won't show me anymore than 219 results. However, you definitely have more than 22 results indexed.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re build your sitemap and submit again
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

There are issues with indexing of pages because the updation of Google’s new search algorithm. These algorithms are updated time to time. Hire an SEO expert who optimize your website.
  27. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

Please don't post your domain name in this forum, it's against the rules. You can do in the Site Review forum.

Original poster, your information has been provided. Please read the responses in this thread and the sticky I referred you to. If you need more information after that, as a specific question in a new thread. This thread is now closed.