1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I dont understand backlinks

ok so i am getting there with this whole backlink idea and link juice etc but there is somethig that is still baffling me!

if i am doing the SEO for website 1 and i decide i want a link from website 2 which is in the same or similar industry as website 1 (but it has loads and loads of quality links and traffic)

A - why on earth would website 2 link to website 1? As website 1 are competitors at the end of the day.

B - how do i approach website 2 and say "hi there, please will you link back to my website which is called website 1"? Is this via email, phone call??

I understand the process but i just dont understand how this works in reality?

Any help please?

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by hyperNoddy
    ok so i am getting there with this whole backlink idea and link juice etc but there is somethig that is still baffling me!

if i am doing the SEO for website 1 and i decide i want a link from website 2 which is in the same or similar industry as website 1 (but it has loads and loads of quality links and traffic)

A - why on earth would website 2 link to website 1? As website 1 are competitors at the end of the day.

B - how do i approach website 2 and say "hi there, please will you link back to my website which is called website 1"? Is this via email, phone call??

I understand the process but i just dont understand how this works in reality?

Any help please?

Thanks
    If you/they are thinking SEO, SEO, SEO in really shallow terms, yes it's unlikely to happen - as you say, "why?"

If, however you have an awesome site with a great feature/tool/picture/diagram/authority type info - then it would potentially help provide thier users with a better experience - they get all they want from one 'hub'.

Here are also other industry connections that can be useful - a top notch icecream manufacturer in Ireland would happily link to one in England if there was a 'need' (they might be answering an 'FAQ' for example about 'shipping'/supplying elsewhere).

Also a motorcycle spares would happily link to a 'motorcycle sales' place if there was a need - same industry but not 'competing'.

Fundamentally, there has to be a 'need' for them to link. You have the best/most entertaining 'something' that they want to share with their 'following' or you have the authority/info that supports what they are trying to communicate, etc.

If you don't think that your site is any good (which I guess you do) why would a 'linker' or indeed Google think differently?

(this next bit is just a semi light hearted challenge)
    If you are just a 'run of the mill-same as everyone else site" - just pay for Adwords - I'd be disappointed finding you naturally at the top of the SERPS.

Comments on this post

• ChillDot agrees : Great Post
    • terriwells agrees : Nice explanation!
    • DMN Webmaster agrees : Also consider geographic location, if you're on the east coast and they're on the west coast, you're not competitors but could supply referrals to each other.(all outta rep Belfast)
    • Dr.Marie agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

thank you, they are very good examples, much appreciated!
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Don't laugh, Belfast, but I'm seriously tempted to steal your explanation and turn it into a short article for SEO Chat. :-) That actually explained something that has been bugging ME about links, too, which I hadn't quite been able to figure out and express so well.

Comments on this post

• Belfast agrees : I'd love to see that - if you do let me know
  9. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by hyperNoddy
    Any help please?
    As Belfast said not every website in the niche is going to be a competitor.. what niche are you in? maybe people can help you with some ideas.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Okay Belfast, just finished the article I threatened/promised; if all goes well, it'll go live Wednesday of next week.
  13. No Profile Picture

I dont understand backlinks

Well,

I would just say that web site backlinks are the links which are connected to the site pages, some are displayed and counted to the point of the site. That is increases the PR of the site.

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo