Thread: Hub Shout

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hub Shout

I have spoken with this company before and found it interesting - hubshout.com. They use article marketing - write the article with proper optimization in text and anchor text, etc... then submit it to hundreds of different article sites.

Article marketing is good but...

Questions: is there an issue or problem with submitting the same article/content to hundreds of sites? Duplicate issues? site getting flagged for spammy behavior? etc...

has anyone ever used this company before?

Thanks,

B
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Never used that company as I avoid this strategy, but the duplicate content could run into filters, preventing the duplicates from passing any value back to your site.

In that case, you would simply be wasting your money.

The FFA article directories they most likely submit to will not have any juice to pass along, anyway.

Comments on this post

• purdue512 agrees : FFA is low to begin with, and dup content makes it zero.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi guys...

That's not *really* a fair representation of what we do... But no worries, I don't expect everyone to know everything about every company. I'd be happy to provide anyone the long version.

Cheers.

Detailed Responses on the Substance Questions. IMHO as always.

Questions: is there an issue or problem with submitting the same article/content to hundreds of sites? Duplicate issues? site getting flagged for spammy behavior? etc...
    Here is my data:

1) Is there a problem for the site being linked to: No. In all of my experiments the site being linked to was never once impacted by the re-use of article content over many article sites.

2) Duplicate issues: Definitely. Google is VERY VERY good at determining if an article has been placed anywhere else on the Internet. For article content they have seen before, the links on subsequent articles is severely devalued and usually the article page is dropped from the index altogether. But again, this has a larger impact on the article site. The only impact on the target website (i.e., the one being linked to) is that the link juice for that particular link goes to zero.

3) Site getting flagged for spammy behavior? Again - Never seen it. I've even tried to invoke it. Unlike a keyword-specific penalty (which we have been able to invoke via over-anchoring) nothing bad has ever come from "too many links from article sites". Again - let's be clear. These links don't carry a ton of juice. And if duplicate content is used, the link juice for any particular link may be zero. But that wasn't the question. The question is if this somehow can get the target website to be poorly labeled. A few clear reasons this can't be: a) If it were that easy to pull someone down, there would be wholesale article warfare going on. It would be too easy to take down a competitor. b) Google USED to actually encourage in their Webmaster Guidelines to find relevant directories and content sites and get a link back. I used to send this quotes to our clients in 2008 and early 2009. It has since been removed, but I'm sure I could find the exact quote and citation from an old email if anyone was interested.
    Last edited by purdue512; May 17th, 2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Had more to say.