1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

How To: Use Forums For SEO

Alright. So I'm getting fairly tired of seeing people storm in here in hot pursuit of nothing more than signature links. Worse than this, though, are the countless hacks posting on here about how posting in forums to get signature links is a viable SEO strategy. For anyone who is reading this who is:

A) New to SEO
    B) Looking at hiring an SEO
    C) Posting in this for the sole purpose of trying to get back links
    D) Ignorant to modern SEO techniques and methods

Let me sum it up for you. Anyone who recommends posting in a forum solely for signature links is a hack. They don't know what they are talking about and you shouldn't hire them or listen to what they say. They are stuck in the stone age.

That said, posting in forums can be a GREAT benefit to SEO, just not in the way that you might think. So without further adieu, I'm going to guide you through how to use forums to your SEO advantage:

Have you ever heard the saying that it's "All about who you know?"

Well, that's true in business and it's also true in SEO. Meeting other people in your niche can bring with it a HUGE host of opportunities for legitimate link building, not limited to:

- Identifying commonly asked questions or common problems people in your niche are facing. Can you say "HELLO LINKBAIT" ?? Go back to your site and write content about that issue and offer a solution. Then share it everywhere you can. Optimize it well, and you might rank organically for it. As a real world example, one way I've done this is with this post on my blog. I noticed people here would post about having great rankings without any traffic. I figured out why, wrote about it and now I can share this resource when similar questions arise (though I am certainly NOT recommending spamming your articles in forums either. Always answer the question as best you can in the thread for the benefit of ALL users - cite the source after being helpful.)

- Identify hot news items or developments in your industry. Go write content about it. Share it. Just like the above: boom, traffic. Boom, links. Again, it really is that simple, it's just not fast, easy or brainless.

- Identifying others with a common interest. This is so huge. Say you really love animals like Dr. Marie. By posting in a forum for vets, you might meet someone with a great blog that you could guest blog in. Maybe they have a blog you disagree with that you could respond to, and open up a conversation! You might meet someone who hosts a really great resource site and might be willing to link to you. You might meet someone who has contacts you can put to use - or, you just might meet SOMEONE. Never ever underestimate the power of a real relationship - one that can't be fostered by spamming a forum.

- Distinguish YOURSELF as the authority on a subject. Part of what lured me here was great posts by people like EGOL or Fathom and the great advice I saw being dispensed by the experience folks here. Now, I read the blogs of people I respect. I wouldn't be doing that if they had showed up, spammed their links and checked out. I've tweeted links from various members here because I value what they had to say. By actually contributing, you have the opportunity to get a little "Fan base" of your own, and these fans can become your "disciples". If people can see that you know what you're talking about or that you are good at what you do, they're more inclined to pay attention to what you have to say or share.

- The long-tail. Forums like SEOChat, Beyond.ca (A car forum that is HUGE and ranks tremendously well for all kinds of things) and so on tend to rank well organically. That's not to say that your piddly little link now looks important or that Google thinks YOU should rank well organically too. But here's what I'm getting at:

If you are a serious contributor in a thread that ranks very well, people might be inclined to check you out or check out the resources you shared. It's why I keep a link to my blog in my forum sig - if someone thinks I am contributing in a helpful way here, maybe they'll want to read other things I've written. Maybe not - but that's their prerogative. You might also add your Twitter account to your sig so people can follow you if they're interested. But as far as SEO value? Well, you'd need hundreds of posts in well ranked threads to have any noticeable impact on your rankings - and that's if your competitors are wasting the same time spamming forums that you are.

Not only that: If the only reason you're here is for a sig link, we can tell. Your posts usually look spammy. You're not interested in engaging other users. You're more than likely the kind of person who will wind up banned, ignored, or hated by those who are actually trying to contribute. If after investing hours trying to earn that link your account gets banned, then what?

What I'm trying to get at here is that forums serve one significant purpose: to help people find information and connect. While it's not a one-and-done, fast solution, the relationships you foster on a forum can have dividends not only SEO but for business and life in general. Forums can lead to quality linking opportunities. They are not quality opportunities themselves.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : I like that word 'Hack' so fitting :~)
    • dzine agrees : :)
    • jsteele823 agrees
    • Tara Dominguez agrees
    • beergut12 agrees
    • Doodled agrees
    • EGOL agrees : i agree.... but those lazy oafs will not read this :P
    • fena3000 agrees : Very well written post and useful information, easy to come up with but hard to think about :)
    • DarrenHaye agrees
    • makwanahemant agrees
    • seohuntanalytic agrees
    • itcourses2013 agrees : hlo
    • bargainpodseo agrees
    • ksrquest agrees : Does the forums count in the content based or link based one
    • mariauc4 agrees : I actually think you are right in everything you have said, I myself struggled with forum posting for a while and couldn't understand the best way to go about it but once i realised it was a chance for me to communicate and connect i found it easier
    • reddykalpana87 agrees : I think there is value for adding your URL to your signature when you have a chance. Obviously not for the sake of having the search engines crawl those things. Instead, once you've become a true contributing member to the community and you've writte
    • KarnRawat agrees
    • webservice0 agrees : Nice post thanks for sharing this with us.
    • aarvee89 agrees : Thanks For Sharing Your Ideas
    • Dancing Queen agrees : really informative!
    • teammlopez agrees : really its a great post about use forum for SEO
    • jsdabhi agrees : nice post and very help to know about SEo
    • iyp agrees : This post is very helpful for SEO beginners
    • mike.cluster agrees : This is good post i agree with you.
    • Solomonk agrees : But I think everyone want some benifits...Either you or us
    • agrees : Thank you very much for sharing this information with us and some of my doubts are clear by reading your artical
    • eduritika agrees : very well written post
    • theloomphilly agrees : Posting interesting and relevant comments on authoritative forums will help you get organic, high-quality traffic to your website, increasing your page ranking efficiently and positioning your site among the top results on search engines. Increased t
    • raniya agrees : thanks for shareing with us. i got so much from here
    • spyindiaankur agrees : Really informative and valuable. Thanks for sharing this info with all us.
    • cresdev agrees : Thank U For This Post This Is Vital For SEO
    • Christinaj agrees : Its awesome forum, thanks for providing information.
    • mialimos agrees
    • shivirawat agrees : When you create a forum, you obviously want to attract users who will get the most from your website and actually utilize what you have to offer. It does no good for you to market to the masses and find a 50% success rate when you can market to your
    • akanshagupta569 agrees : Its awsum forum and informative too.I like this post because it has some or the other facts gathering things
    • Edupark agrees : Information is very useful and will help me a lot
    • RiyaInfotechSG agrees : I am agree with thi spost that forums are the great source of link building in SEO.
    • davidg09 agrees : Great post - makes a lot of sense
    • Anishwebmaster agrees : "FORUM" is used for conversion, meand "for u 2 me" . We take a suggestion of any problems through Forum, After 25 to 30 posts you create a signature. This signature is very inportant for SEO working.
    • johnmessy agrees : from seo points of view we can use forums to share are knowledge or to share are views on link building technique or any seo tedchnique, one another way of using these forum in seo just as to gain backlink from there.
    • newsninja agrees : i completly agree since i think contrtribution is must ...it is not done you walk in and spam ur link and go
    • Ben Mathew agrees : i agree very clear and informative points
    • purpleweb agrees
    • Mssofttech agrees : yes niche links are the better as compare to the other
    • abydostech agrees : i agree
    • Natalie89 agrees
    • lushi agrees
    • Arun Thakur agrees
    • Rajesh Negi agrees : I am very agree with this post
    • jmexperts agrees : Great post mate cheers.
    • purush_uttam agrees : You are right
    • ThomasHarvey agrees
    • scogold agrees : You're right thanks this post was very helpfull
    • dnh agrees : i agree
    • alonso1011 agrees : This post is long time ago but I think it's still help me.
    • Aliasharma agrees
    Last edited by ElectricPrez; Apr 11th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i'm wit you... but this will fall on deaf ears and lead to nothing.

I have become shorter and shorter with my posts for this reason: I would rather spend time writing unique content on my site rather then writing a bunch of good content here

Comments on this post

• iyp agrees : yes forums proves very helpful to make backlinks
    • jackmarco agrees : Yup...Inspite of the good posts and good contents in the website, your online presence in the online forum posting websites can also be a value added source to help your back link grow and promote your website.jack from bizbilla b2b portal.
    • ijackmoriyal agrees : iyp
    • Rajesh Negi agrees : very nice
    • Harry_Mox agrees : yes very good
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by AZdevil2.0
    i'm wit you... but this will fall on deaf ears and lead to nothing.

I have become shorter and shorter with my posts for this reason: I would rather spend time writing unique content on my site rather then writing a bunch of good content here
    I'm not naive enough to think one post in one forum is going to change the world or stop spam or anything like that. If even one person reads this and gets a cool idea from it, sweet. If everyone goes: "Zomg TL;DR", then I'll just deal with it. No love lost, it was either write that or play CoD for 15 extra minutes.

I've got plenty of stuff to write content on my own site for, sometimes I just write here for kicks

Comments on this post

• NathanielB agrees : lol you should have stuck with CoD :) What one you play? I do a lot of online gaming if you interested in my kicking your *** some time :p
    • KernelPanic agrees : I would destroy both of you in CoD :D
    • mike.cluster agrees : agreed
    • bazaardelight agrees : visit virtual machine options most of the free and paid forum sites are available
    • Rajesh Negi agrees : I am satisfy with u.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's always good to practice...yes?
    I tend to play with spam subjects which I think were calling....Hacks
    Hacks don't have ears AZ. ;~)

Comments on this post

• getyq7 agrees : OK.
    • Rajesh Negi agrees : u r obsolutly right.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Great post mate with some valid info and points for those that still dont know how to fully use a forum, but its prob not gunu make people think and understand better what they should be using forums for

I wonder how many pointless thanks post you will get from newbies after a link now lol

Comments on this post

• ElectricPrez agrees : My gamertag is the same as my forum name. I play mainly black ops, I welcome your challenge to kick my butt.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    I wonder how many pointless thanks post you will get from newbies after a link now lol
    My Dear Thank U For This Post This Is Vital For SEO

......... Great post! You tell them!

Comments on this post

• KarnRawat agrees : And and i know the reason, they just want to increase their number of post, bloody spammers.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. Contributing User

Ahaha. For sure guys. Like I said, I'm not stupid enough to believe this post is going to cause some sort of revolution. Some of these hack SEO's (especially those from overseas) believe in forum signatures like they're some kind of religion.

But for those who DO choose to read, I hope there's something there for them.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If we didn't have newbies posting short comments just so they can get links then we would end up with a few experts having a quality discussion, who in the hell would want that?!?!
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by samtaylorseo
    If we didn't have newbies posting short comments just so they can get links then we would end up with a few experts having a quality discussion, who in the hell would want that?!?!
    Well Alex, I'll take "pretty much everyone" for 500 please!
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by bulkping
    Wow very big content you have written, many good points are included that we use in day to day IM. People now a days just try to add signature and comment very short 2 -3 words and finish their no.'s but one should prefer quality discussion and try to learn first to achieve something later.

Regards,
    Neet
    Yes Neet - the point of the forum is NOT to get a sig link. It's to create other, better linking opportunities.

Comments on this post

• AZdevil2.0 agrees
    • miradisplays agrees : Nice post, Thanks for shairng.
  21. Contributing User

All spot on but I would summarise it as follows if you are here to build links:

Imagine a search engine crawler comes to this forum page then it thinks like this:
    - "Ooh! Loverly forum page about SEO, let's have a look"
    - "What's this? Links to 'cheap holidays' and 'great holidays'? That's not related to the content, bit spammy, I'll ignore those"
    - "What's this? Duplicated text on the page (from quoting previous posts in their entirety) - that's not what I'm after"
    - "Hmm. Short posts in general, not much truly original content"
    - "Right - low rank for the page and minimal weight for the links"

In other words the most powerful forums or threads for links are:
    - ones where the signature links relate to the subject area.
    - ones where people don't quote entire previous posts.
    - ones where people write full answers and avoid short "me too" statements.

So if you want your links to actually mean anything beyond just showing them to your client/boss:
    - post in forums related to the (signature) links you are building
    - avoid quoting entire posts
    - write full posts

Comments on this post

• Josoftech agrees : Great Post
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doodled
    All spot on but I would summarise it as follows if you are here to build links:

Imagine a search engine crawler comes to this forum page then it thinks like this:
    - "Ooh! Loverly forum page about SEO, let's have a look"
    - "What's this? Links to 'cheap holidays' and 'great holidays'? That's not related to the content, bit spammy, I'll ignore those"
    - "What's this? Duplicated text on the page (from quoting previous posts in their entirety) - that's not what I'm after"
    - "Hmm. Short posts in general, not much truly original content"
    - "Right - low rank for the page and minimal weight for the links"

In other words the most powerful forums or threads for links are:
    - ones where the signature links relate to the subject area.
    - ones where people don't quote entire previous posts.
    - ones where people write full answers and avoid short "me too" statements.

So if you want your links to actually mean anything beyond just showing them to your client/boss:
    - post in forums related to the (signature) links you are building
    - avoid quoting entire posts
    - write full posts
    Good points and great insights!

The big thing I was trying to get at is that sig links really aren't the bees knees for passing value no matter what circumstances they're found in.

Passing traffic is another thing altogether and like I noted, it's good to have links to a blog or some sort of content you create in case people want to read more.

Comments on this post

• reddykalpana87 agrees : I think there is value for adding your URL to your signature when you have a chance. Obviously not for the sake of having the search engines crawl those things. Instead, once you've become a true contributing member to the community and you've writte
    • seohimanshu agrees : nice post
    • badra100 agrees : i give you 7/10
    • lymanterry12 agrees : I agree with your post. Specially with the "What's this? Links to cheap holidays?" which is definetely not related to the content :3\
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

People tend to forget that link-building is also part of brand awareness. People who spam are hurting the brand image of either their client or their own business.

Forums can be great for making connections. They can also be great for destroying credibility.

Comments on this post

• ElectricPrez agrees : Very, very true. There is a right way and a wrong way to bring up your brand in a forum. Spamming is definitely the wrong way.
    • sandyallain agrees : Indeed. This is true :D
    • ishuverma agrees : yes i agree for this post
    • mariauc4 agrees : I actually think you are right in everything you have said, I myself struggled with forum posting for a while and couldn't understand the best way to go about it but once i realised it was a chance for me to communicate and connect i found it easier
    • miradisplays agrees : Nice Post, Thanks for sharing..
    • mark009 agrees : hi...........
    • ajaybihani agrees : You Have give us good tips
    • ranaji agrees : i am totally agree with you man.
    • gaganmasoun agrees : Forums are playing important role in SEO
    • 123Jennifer agrees : The stuff is absolutly right. We should never use forums only for signature. This is black hat seo Technique.
    • AnnaTheRussian agrees : Hi guys, I am concerned with forums and social media regarding the return on investment. How to measure the success of forums
    • vibhav123 agrees : This is nice heard,thanks
    • shailc2013 agrees : Forum Posting is Effective Idea for Keywords Ranking in Google or not?
    • sonudna agrees : Forum posts are becoming a more and more popular way of increasing the page ranking of company websites and individual blogs alike. Forums are communities the members of which share the same interest and passion and are willing to disseminate informa
    • harilimos agrees : I'm agree with your reply..Thanks for it
    • johnystrong agrees
    • badra100 agrees
    • lymanterry12 agrees : Agree. Link building should be done with carefulness and awareness.
    • roadrunners agrees : Thank You for the information
    • coimbatore agrees : c
    • harish bali agrees : Fair point - forum community should respect the spirit
    • RonMathew agrees : as forums are used to share our problems or for any suggestion needed.,if we use forums in necesaary tha it will be of no use.
    • itexpert agrees
    • RedCubeDigital agrees : Forum posts are becoming a more and more popular way of increasing the page ranking of company websites and individual blogs alike. Forums are communities the members of which share the same interest and passion and are willing to disseminate informa
    • ipb.supriya agrees : thanks for sharing this information
    • daniel160wong agrees : just new to this forum, thanks for your advice
    • abby01 agrees
    • kranthibhukya85 agrees : really its a great post about use forum for SEO