1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How To Redirect?

Hi Guys

I'm looking to get some assistance on how to best deal with a situation please.

We have a page call it www.generalwebsite.com/product to a specific product in our range that has received a lot of natural links in the industry. Google loves this page and when our customers search for our product on Google this is where they end up.

We now have the need to separate this product off from the general website to its own website wwww.product.com and I want to redirect everything from www.generalwebsite.com/product to www.product.com/productinfo

Is it possible to send everything from one domain to another domain? If so what is the best way to handle it?

Maybe the best option is to not do it, but for the long term its important for our continued growth to do this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dzine; May 6th, 2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Please unlink your URLs the next time you post
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm not a SEO/Web guru for sure. I can't see why not. Years ago I redirected one of my directories (folder) to it's own sub-domain. I'm pretty sure that subdomains are considered domains (if that makes sense), so I would do something like this in your '.htaccess' file...

Redirect 301 "/product/" "http://www.product.com/productinfo"
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 4th, 2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: couldn't see contents of code section
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You would use a canonical link in addition to a redirect?

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : If you redirect, you cannot add a canonical tag
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by blake_jl
    Hi Guys

I'm looking to get some assistance on how to best deal with a situation please.

We have a page to a specific product in our range that has received a lot of natural links in the industry. Google loves this page and when our customers search for our product on Google this is where they end up.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you MUST fix it, hire a professional to make it happen in the way that will have the least impact on your ranks.
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by blake_jl
    We now have the need to separate this product off from the general website to its own website
    I agree with KernelPanic. Your question implies "without losing anything" and a smaller(ish) domain that offers less content diversity will not have the same impact as a domain with more content diversity even if Google loved the original page as "the original page" IS NOT the new page, new website, new domain.

You seem like you wish to better enhance the ranking value and I guarantee you will only make it worse... and when it does not pan out and you attempt to revert back to the original Google's love will be gone from there as well.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If your page is working extremely good, then why do you want to redirect your specific product folder to a new domain. Anyways, you just need to tweek .htaccess file for redirecting. Here is the sample code

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    Redirect 301 /product http://www.product.com/
    Last edited by dzine; May 6th, 2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: delinked, then approved
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You can redirect by using canonical tag ,use canonical tag of home page of the website and use address of that URL which you want to redirect.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : A canonical tag is not a redirect