Google Analytics new User Explorer (introed earlier this year but now old enough to show useful information) is exposing just how misleading Analytics can be.
This is one of many examples I've discovered today.
- a user discovered a clients site via Google Shopping.
- a week later the user returned via a brand name search and purchased that product
- Google Analytics says the the source/medium of that sale is 'google/organic' but in reality it was PPC
- 2 months later that client returned directly to the site and purchased another product
- Google Analytics says the source/medium of that sale is 'direct' but in reality it was PPC from two months ago (and great service) which won that second sale.
To understand how each of your marketing channels is really working you need to know how that client discovered the site because these have long term implications.
From what I have read you can't extract this data from User Explorer - does anyone know something different....?