1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to read a keyword analysis?

I just got a KW analysis back from my SEO team. I'm not sure how to read it and know which keywords to choose. I see some that rank high but no one searches for, and some that a lot search for but have a lot of competition and don't rank high. It seems there's pros and cons to each keyword. Could someone explain what I'm looking for and what they think would be the best keywords? Here's the link to the spreadsheet they sent me. Thanks for the help. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzT...it?usp=sharing

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Firstly you need to try and get into your customers heads and think hmm what would I search for if I wanted to convert to a sale and not just get information.

1. Are you location restricted?
    2. It's not always about the high amounts of traffic its about are your customers going to convert on that term.
    3. Get your SEO company to use more than one keyword data outreach Google keyword estimations can be waaaayyyyyy out, use SEM rush, soolve, ubersuggest, wordstream keyword tool, Bing Webmaster Tools and also tying the term in google and looking at the suggested terms it gives can be good judgement to try in other tools.

Consider using Schema markup for your address and telephone number, contact page data it can help local search results.

Off topic on the conversion side of things, does your SEO company offer that in reports? What conversion rate you are getting and what traffic you are getting (this I think is very important.)

Sorry a few things went off subject there a bit but I hope that it helps
  5. No Profile Picture

This is great. I've never been through this process, so I don't know what to expect. You've given me some things to take back to my team. Right now I don't know if they use anything more than Google keyword. Also, they don't do conversion rates stats. I'm going to have a talk with them Monday about all this.

I am location restricted, so I guess that means my city, state needs to be in all my keywords? Even if people don't search for the city/state, I'm assuming Google is smart enough to direct people's search queuries to my site based on their IP address, right?

Also, is it important how a keyword ranks in google? Should I pick one that doesn't rank high?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Conversion stats are the most important part of a marketing campaign doesn't matter if its a search marketing or offline marketing campaign you still need to see the bang your getting for your buck!

If you are location restricted going for pals classes and pals training and acls training could be counter productive because if you end up ranking nationally for these you going to get people from all over the country wanting your services and you can't accommodate them. Google is getting smarter but any help you can give them regarding what your location is and what your business services are is a bonus.

Also do you run a PPC (Pay Per Click) Campaign? This is something I include with every client it has to tie hand in hand so you get immediate ROI (Return On Investment) and you start getting important data for your marketing company.

It is important to rank well yes. I think the stats for percentage of traffic based on your rank goes something like this. (Remember this is probably outdated and inaccurate its not an exact science its just to give you an idea).

Position #1: 45.46% of all clicks
    Position #2: 15.69% of all clicks
    Position #3: 10.09% of all clicks
    Position #4: 5.49% of all clicks
    Position #5: 5.00% of all clicks
    Position #6: 3.94% of all clicks
    Position #7: 2.51% of all clicks
    Position #8: 2.94% of all clicks
    Position #9: 1.97% of all clicks
    Position #10: 2.71% of all clicks

Total: 95.91% of all clicks occur on Page #1 of SERPs

So on the above basis position #1 on 'online medical classes' should get about 100 click a month as a guesstimate. So yes its important.

Hope this all helps
  9. No Profile Picture

Ya, I appreciate that. That's very informative.
  11. justanotherseoguy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by arandazzo88
    some that rank high but no one searches for
    You may just forget about those keywords. If no one is searching for them, what's the point of ranking for them?
    and some that a lot search for but have a lot of competition and don't rank high.
    As for such keywords, I normally do the following:
    Sort the keywords by the number of searches and start analyzing those with the largest search volumes
    See where you ALREADY rank for that keyword (what if you are already number 1? ), then assess competition
    The way one assessed competition is not really by the number of competitors you have, but by analyzing the webpages of your TOP competitors.
    If you are not on page 1 (2 at most) , there is little point going after the keyword.
    So, what you need to look at is the websites/webpages of those competitors who rank in the top 10 - top 20 for a given keyword.
    If it looks like you can realistically beat them - then try going for the keyword.

Also, after looking at the report you shared, i would ask you team this question: do those rankings apply to Web search results, Google pages results or whichever came first?
    I normally use Rank Tracker to track keywords, and it tells you whether the rank is a general Web rank or a local results.
    By looking at this report, it is unclear. I bet they know, you just have to ask them.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks man, that was helpful. I'll talk some more with my seo guys.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi,

Okay about the document you shared, I just want to explain what each column is about:

1. Keywords- this is the column for suggested keywords per page. If you notice the table also mentions your site's pages. So for each page, under this column are your target keywords.

2. Exact Local Search Count (US)- The numbers under this column represents the amount of people searching for that keyword in exact search, meaning no synonyms used but they typed the keyword exactly as what you have in the keywords' column

3. Exact Competition- This column represents the number of competitors or search results in Google when the user typed the keyword 'exactly" (as explained in #2)

4. Google Ranking Stats- This column shows how your site's pages rank in Google for these keywords

Now for my feedback:

The keywords are actually 'fair' and considered as low competition keywords. You can use these keywords (but please dispose the ones with 0 in column 2) and mix these keywords with high competition and medium competition keywords. This is to get a good amount of traffic to your site.

Also, when choosing keywords, target those than can convert to sales like keywords with buy or looking for.. this is called buyer-intent keywords. Then you may also look for product name keywords and emergency keywords. Avoid using keywords with free on them if you are not really promoting free products.

I hope that helps.
  17. justanotherseoguy

Thanks man, that was helpful. I'll talk some more with my seo guys.
    No prob.. Quick correction, I meant to say, ask them if they considered Web search results or Google Places (not pages) results, or mixed results when they determined the rank.
  19. No Profile Picture

Sparks43, I'm not sure my team has done or used. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've covered their bases.

Traffic Travis, that was really informative. I'm surprised you thought my keywords were only "fair". I'm not sure what kind of other keywords I would use. I don't know how best sales conversion keywords and emergency keywords would fit with my keywords or what people would be searching for. I'd be curious if you had examples of what you considered to be strong keywords.