1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How To Optimize A Page For Multiple Keywords

Hi Guys,

In this video by Brian Dean he talks about how to go about optimising for multiple keywords.

He basically said the main factors for optimising a page for multiple keywords are the following:

• Identify other keywords with same search intent as your primary keyword.
    • Add them to title tag strategically, don't stuff them in there.
    • Add as many of those keywords as h2 tags into the content, again when it makes sense.

Are there any other more advanced ways you can use to optimize a page for multiple keywords with same search intent that could be good?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers.
  3. No Profile Picture

Along with the on-page factors discussed in the video, it is always a great option to have backlinks with the other keywords (which you want to rank for ) as anchor texts.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : bad advice
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You could make clever use of synonyms, increase you content size, etc...
    Backlinks also affects a page ranking for a keywords but be very carefull with that (I know I answer this in nearly every thread about backlinks but: ) building backlinks is against Google guidelines, better warned too much that too little.

Comments on this post

• Amyborne agrees : I agree, it is important to remember that Google works on Semantic fields, it looks much more organic that way
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by sarahmaxwell789
    Along with the on-page factors discussed in the video, it is always a great option to have backlinks with the other keywords (which you want to rank for ) as anchor texts.
    Yes that works... in 2007. Today it will get you Penguinized by Google.

Comments on this post

• Printer agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

Pictures or videos with keywords can help as well.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm very unimpressed by any SEO who wants folk to target "keywords" and cites G's keyword tool as the source of all reason.

This video is a typical example...

Broadening your target words with your title tag alone is TOTALLY ridiculous!
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 18th, 2017 at 05:37 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    I'm very unimpressed by any SEO who wants folk to target "keywords" and cites G's keyword tool as the source of all reason.

This video is a typical example...

Broadening your target words with your title tag alone is TOTALLY ridiculous!
    So what's your solution/view on targeting multiple keywords on the same page?

Keen to hear your perspective.
  15. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Use links to get votes by using anchor text like view site, read more (words you don't want to rank for)
    Use your site structure, titles and internal links for your key words and phrases.

Yes..It's really that simple.

Comments on this post

• jandesigner01 agrees
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

After some years experience in SEO. I realize that, 1 content should not target too many keywords since it will not be effective way to boost ranking of that keywords. We have been told by some experts that "adding keywords to H1, h2 will be great for on-page seo". However, the truth is, you need to build the content as natural as possible, and targeted the users, not search engine. It doesn't matter that you have keywords in h2 or h3. If the content is unique, fresh and promote correctly, your rank will be better and better.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Novatronic

For the Non-SEOs,
    Please let me recap some SEO background to make sure we are all on the same page.

Keywords are search queries that are posed by SE users.

If you think that means SEs rank pages for an exact sequence of words, WRONG! They do not and never have. The exact sequence of words usually has very little impact on a page's rankings.

Here is a simplified explanation of the process...

Step 1: SEs assess what pages match the search query
    Basically, every one of the words in the search query must occur somewhere on a specific web page or on page links to it.

Step 2: Ranking the matching pages
    Think of this as the SE assigning ranking points for how and where the individual search words are used on the matching pages and those that link to them.

Eg. In a four word search query, 55% of the points may be scored by word "a", 30% by word "b", 14% by word "c" and 1% by word "d".

The page with the highest combined word score gets ranked #1.

Some search mathematics to consider:

• From 50 million pages in the '90s, G now needs to find info on 130 trillion pages - a huge jump in ranking points needed to now rank #1.
    • That has lead us to increase the length of search queries from an average of 2 words to 4+ words.
    • The more search words in a query, the fewer the pages that should match the query.
    • The fewer the matching pages, the less the competition and the lower the point score needed to rank #1.
    • The more words in a search query, the more SEO strategic options are available to score the needed points.

Now my reply to Novatronic may make more sense to you.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Novatronic

Novatronic,
    The reason for the recap is to help non-SEO folk understand that the longer the search query, the fewer ranking points that are needed to rank it #1. That also makes it easier to rank the same page #1 for a wider range of search queries.

There is a post from a Warrington, UK wedding photographer in another forum. Let's use that business category as an example...

Some folk may approach the project as identifying the most frequently used and relevant "keywords". They may end up with the following keyword list. (I've appended the number of pages that match the search queries):

• wedding photography = 71.1 million
    • wedding photography prices = 10.4 million
    • Indian wedding photography = 10.2 million
    • wedding photography packages = 7.22 million
    • candid wedding photography = 1.27 million

There are two things we should note about this list.

• You will need a reasonably large number of ranking points to get to #1 for any of them
    • Most of the people who use these search terms are NOT potential clients

If you choose to optimise a general word (prices, Indian, packages, etc) you will waste a huge amount of time!

Consider these three words as the core search words:

wedding photography Warrington = 265,000 matching pages

Most of the "Werrington" word searchers are likely to be potential clients. So, as an SEO tactic, this business is advised to concentrate on generating ranking points that include this location word. The other important SEO benefit is that at this low level of search competition, expensive, external link building programs are probably not needed.

As a starter, I suggest building the three core search words into the site wide navigation. Eg:

Home -> Photography Services -> About Us -> Wedding Portfolios -> Other Werrington Services -> Werrington Wedding Ideas -> Contact Us

I'd recommend all page titles should include "...wedding photography. (Company name), Warrington area".

Now consider the content and pages that could link off the suggested "Photography Services" index page. These may include:

• Pre wedding location photography
    • Indian weddings
    • Pakistan weddings
    • Italian weddings
    • Candid wedding photography. Etc.

This "index" page and each of the special wedding service pages linking off it should include summary info and/or links to/about (as relevant):

• Best
    • Reviews, testimonials
    • Example pics
    • Prices, affordable, deals, discounts, budget, etc.
    • Packages
    • Quotes, etc.

If the site owner scores enough points for "Warrington" there should be hundreds of different keywords where this index page ranks top 5 on G.UK. All that needs to be done is to include the dozens of alternative fourth and fifth search words in the page's body text.

The most complete historic example I have (pre-G hiding its referral data) was a 5 page website where there had been in excess of 6,000 unique keywords used to generate referrals over a number of years. In any one month the unique keyword referral numbers were around 600.

Comments on this post

• Novatronic agrees
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 21st, 2017 at 03:59 AM.