Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    YBE
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb How much should I really invest in SEO?

I am somewhat new to seo and still confused about the work involved. Currently I am paying about $500 a month (I know this is on the low end) working with an SEO company, they seem good, they are very responsive and I have seen some decent improvements on my rankings. They only really do offsite SEO..

I pay for my own articles I put on the website using another person. I usually try to do at least 4 articles a week or so and I send the links to my SEO company... They had done the initial onsite seo, but i know how to "Seo" those articles with yoast, I have that down pat as for as on-page seo (Internal linking, etc)

Each Month, along with the ranking, they send me a nice report of the current ranking, past ranking, etc, etc and one of the work done.. It's very nice and very detailed.. I don't understand too much about it tho... The report includes:

--Around 3-4 Content Curation
    --27-28 Social Bookmarking
    --6 Business listings..
    --29-30 Social Media Submission
    --4 Video Submissions
    --4 PDF Submissions...

I sometimes even get included/mentioned on some really nice articles that have good page rank and domain authority (30+)... So I guess it's good for backlinking...

I was recently thinking about boasting the SEO Budget to around $1000- 1300 a month... Just for the Offsite SEO alone... I am assuming if I do that, the list of work done every month would double, yes? Should I do it? or should I invest that money on something else that will help boost the site, based on the typical work done each month? Sometimes I wonder if I stop the offside SEO they are doing, will it drop or just stay the same hahahaha, since I am getting good backlinks....

So advise a confused soul guys , what do you think?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Unless they are going to remove their work then if you stopped tomorrow then you would remain as you are assuming your competitors are also not doing anything. Offsite SEO tends to be cumulative so as each month goes by they are adding to it, not supporting it unless some of the links get removed of course.

But then we come onto is what they are doing ? is it providing you with any benefit or is it your content that's driving your site upwards.
    The business listings are very suspect, 6 a month ? all the main ones will be no follow so wont be helping
    The video's ? I have always questioned the value of these from a SEO point of view, they on their own are worthless
    The Social submissions will all be no follow so again from a SEO point of view worthless.
    etc

Please dont confuse what I am saying here, their activity maybe generating you plenty of traffic which you could say is worth $500 a month but you know your site stats and if that is beneficial to you or not.

Onsite SEO is becoming very important again and for me that should be your area of focus, you should be constantly looking at improving your site in terms of content and user experience, encourage your users share your content or link to it, that's the route and key in 2016 and not how many directories we can get listed in.

Every time you post something ask yourself does this post deserve to attract links, will my users share it ? if the answer is no then ask yourself why are you posting it ? there could be a valid reason but if its just to hit target of x number a month then that will not work.
  5. No Profile Picture
    YBE

understood Chedders, thanks for answering.... I am still confused about how SEO charge it's customers and what's considered "Good"/"Bad" Seo work. When I started with them, they asked whats my budget, and I told them 500 a month, so I was wondering what doubling the budget would do (it's something I will ask them), but I have learned to ask others/experts first, this is why I joined the site...

I get what you saying about content, I see it's importance.. I don't really get a lot of traffic, not much anyway. and the site is about a year old... So based on what I am saying, about the work they do, is 500 worth it? should I invest more or look to invest it in other areas, if so, what exactly?... Should I stick with them, and focus on other things... The content on the site I think are good and a person interested would definitely read it and share it.... Getting them to see it? well, that's another thing.... I have 2000 + legit followers on FB and such, but when I post only 1% of them see it...... If you had a website, that was getting less than 80 visits a day, how would you invest $1000-$1500 a month?
  7. No Profile Picture
    YBE

Chedders, Im I better off investing that money in PPC? Should I use PPC for each and every post I put on on my website?

in regards to what you say about my content and if it's that whats driving it upwards....

To answer that question, I honestly don't know.... But they say, they need content from me to improve their efforts....

On a light budget of $500 a month, what should an SEO company should be doing on it's own exactly? This is what I don't get.. If I know what they are doing is legit, and it's effective, then I'll be glad to invest more into it...

This is my delima...
    Last edited by YBE; Jan 16th, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
  9. Dinosaur

This is where the world of SEO is changing, Marketing a website and its brand is very different to just gaining links from old school tactics.
    Google have relied far too long on links to work out who is top, this at long last appears to be changing and along with it link building for the sake of it is becoming less effective and also risks penalties being applied so crashing what little organic traffic you have to zero.

Personally I would say with your budget think of marketing and not link building as that is now quite risky in the wrong hands. If the SEO company manage to trash your site from link building is there any compensation for you ? I doubt it as that's not how they work.

You could for example do a facebook campaign to gain more followers, it is remarkably cheap and for $500 with the right advert could double your followers. Just something to think about
  11. No Profile Picture
    YBE

Originally Posted by Chedders
    This is where the world of SEO is changing, Marketing a website and its brand is very different to just gaining links from old school tactics.
    Google have relied far too long on links to work out who is top, this at long last appears to be changing and along with it link building for the sake of it is becoming less effective and also risks penalties being applied so crashing what little organic traffic you have to zero.

Personally I would say with your budget think of marketing and not link building as that is now quite risky in the wrong hands. If the SEO company manage to trash your site from link building is there any compensation for you ? I doubt it as that's not how they work.

You could for example do a facebook campaign to gain more followers, it is remarkably cheap and for $500 with the right advert could double your followers. Just something to think about

Is spending to get followers really worth it, when each time one posts it doesn't get seen? I have another site, which has around 800 legit followers on FB... When I post it gets more clicks obviously, but not seen by the majority... When I do a promo, it gets the likes and shares like crazy... It's cheaper because it's a site based in South America and it's cheaper to promote in those countries.... And the website for that website, the rankings are just stuck...

So it gets me thinking, with the site I am asking about and adds to the confusion...
  13. No Profile Picture
    YBE

Didn't get that part: "If the SEO company manage to trash your site from link building...."
  15. Dinosaur

When you do link building you are technically breaking google guidelines, you can get away with a small level of this but if pushed to far as many people do because they see positive results and want more and more. This will attract a closer inspection on your site sooner or later, if they deem you are link building with the view of manipulating your position they will issue a penalty and your site in worst case could be de-indexed.

If that happens what would your SEO company do ? run for the hills leaving you to pick up the mess, offer to fix it for a fee (and remove all the links they did)

Don't get me wrong, link building still does improve SERPS but with it comes an increasing risk and you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward.
    You can think of it as a bit like playing the game of Jenga, your fine removing bricks to begin with but with each removal of a brick the risk of failure increases, Blindly link building is a bit like playing that game, each month that goes by and your SEO company continues building the risk of getting caught is also increasing.
  17. No Profile Picture
    YBE

When you do link building you are technically breaking google guidelines, you can get away with a small level of this but if pushed to far as many people do because they see positive results and want more and more. This will attract a closer inspection on your site sooner or later, if they deem you are link building with the view of manipulating your position they will issue a penalty and your site in worst case could be de-indexed.

If that happens what would your SEO company do ? run for the hills leaving you to pick up the mess, offer to fix it for a fee (and remove all the links they did)

Don't get me wrong, link building still does improve SERPS but with it comes an increasing risk and you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward.
    You can think of it as a bit like playing the game of Jenga, your fine removing bricks to begin with but with each removal of a brick the risk of failure increases, Blindly link building is a bit like playing that game, each month that goes by and your SEO company continues building the risk of getting caught is also increasing.

I understand, but my seo company is not building links...It looks like they are promoting it to social media... and what i've mentioned, which I wonder if it really helps the site as a whole....
    If I do about 5-10 manual links on my own every couple of months, from legit websites let's say, articles that are in my nitch mentioning mentioning mysite, should I even stop it?
  19. Dinosaur

You said
    --Around 3-4 Content Curation
    --27-28 Social Bookmarking
    --6 Business listings..
    --29-30 Social Media Submission
    --4 Video Submissions
    --4 PDF Submissions...
    Most of which is link building. If the links are all no follow then its fine as its not attempting to manipulate your position in SERP. However if they are all no follow then I suspect your would not improve your position and they are being posted to drive traffic so very much like a paid advert.
    The fact they are sending you monthly reports on your positions though tends to make me think they are manipulating SERPS and lets face it 90% of SEO companies this is what they do. Else why pay them anything.

I know this all sounds like I am bashing SEO companies in general, I am not, some are really good but also there are so many out there who just take your money and offer nothing new. The whole world of SEO is changing rapidly and the cleaver companies now are looking much more at onsite SEO techniques and optimizing that side. The old saying of Content is King has never been more true and the skill in gaining the most of it I believe is the way SEO is heading.
  21. No Profile Picture
    YBE

You said

Most of which is link building. If the links are all no follow then its fine as its not attempting to manipulate your position in SERP. However if they are all no follow then I suspect your would not improve your position and they are being posted to drive traffic so very much like a paid advert.
    The fact they are sending you monthly reports on your positions though tends to make me think they are manipulating SERPS and lets face it 90% of SEO companies this is what they do. Else why pay them anything.

I know this all sounds like I am bashing SEO companies in general, I am not, some are really good but also there are so many out there who just take your money and offer nothing new. The whole world of SEO is changing rapidly and the cleaver companies now are looking much more at onsite SEO techniques and optimizing that side. The old saying of Content is King has never been more true and the skill in gaining the most of it I believe is the way SEO is heading.

So should I leave what they are doing and focus more on onside? use the money for onsite instead?

If it was you that had a brand new site, would you do what I am doing with this current seo company? If not, what does a good seo company do exactly? esp at my budget?
  23. Dinosaur

We need some other members in here to provide their points of view here, I am just giving my viewpoint which could of course be wrong. There are many people here who run or work for SEO companies who can tell you exactly what a good company should and will provide.

I know from my experience I have spent many 1,000's over the years with a variety of SEO experts but now I prefer to do it myself and so in charge of my own destiny. I can put in more hours than they would should I feel the need. or I can take a break and focus on other things. If i take a risk and it backfires then I have only myself to blame.
  25. No Profile Picture
    YBE

Thansk Chedders..... I am still confused about it... I may leave as is for another few months, but would like to spend 1500-2000 a month on the site to help with rankings and visitors, etc, but just don't know what I should invest it in.. PPC or other stuff....
  27. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is a great discussion! I'm going to move it to our Search Engine Optimization section so that it gets in front of more eyes. Let me know if you have any trouble posting in this thread after I've moved it - sometimes vBulletin pitches a fit when things get moved around.
  29. rod@missionop.com

WHITEHAT SEO is all about earning traffic... Commonly thought to be procuring SUPERIOR CONTENT for your website.

This has nothing to do with link building or rank building those happen naturally (or not) and the SEO Practitioner is powerless to do anything as that generally is what violate search engine guidelines.

Procuring content to use as guest posts elsewhere requires rel="nofollow" to be used in the link to your domain. I'm positive you can find website owners that will trade superior content for dofollow links but that in itself is a guideline violation as MOZ found out https://moz.com/blog/dear-google-lin...ity-guidelines

It does not matter what Rand Fishkin thinks (or MOZ) all that matters is what Google thinks.

That isn't the important part ... Risks vs Rewards is the same answer to a single question. It pays to violate Google's guidelines but acquiring a service provider to accept that risk for you cost much more that $500, or $1000, or even $2000 USD/month. But the average customer would rather accept the risk until it bites them in the *** but then it really doesn't matter.

Then the cost is about removing it all to have a chance at doing it a better way which tends to cost even more.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: