Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How many Backlinks?

Hello Everyone,
    I have seen somewhere that Ahrefs has the ability to predict how many backlinks is needed for a given keyword to rank,
    I am curious if that is accurate at all? Is there anyone who has done this already? I don't have a pro account, i need to check 3-4 keywards
    can someone help?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

A single backlink can put you on the 1st page of Google.

Back when PR was public, and you could determine PR. 1 PR4 backlink would propel your site to page 1.

Your post sounds to me like you are going after quantity, not quality. This is a bad way to approach link building and just lead to trouble for you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am looking for quality links but as i am newbie trying my luck with several "What If's". Can you please guide me. Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture

If anyone can get a "DoFollow" from a site, consider it toxic.
    Do not generate links on unrelated sites, so if you are a dog groomer, do not post links on sites not related to dog grooming.
    You only need one link from a site, unless the site decides to bestow additional links.
    Build links for traffic, not ranking.

Now you should also search the forum for additional info...
    One of our members "Chedders" has an excellent article on Backlinking. Look it up and check out his helpful advice.

Link building is not something you learn over night nor in a few weeks. Many threads here where folks have gotten in trouble because of unfettered link building.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I had an interesting experience. My site had 5000 backlinks, and a competitor had about 800 links. And what do you think? Competitor's site was in first position in google. I understand that the quality of links plays a big role, I studied all the links of a competitor. They were like mine. I'm sure that the number of links isn't a major factor in ranking.
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Correct it's not the amount but the quality.
  13. No Profile Picture

Quality backlinks and High domain Authority websites
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

To answer your question: There is no tool that determines the exact number of backlinks in a given keyword.

But that said, you just have to depend on ONE tool to get the backlinks information then proceed to creating your backlinks as natural way as possible. Focus on building quality content in and on your page to attract the right visitors and to get followers. Once you have achieved that, your backlinks come in naturally since good content can always become viral and shareable.
  17. No Profile Picture

Wily, you also need to consider the website structure and on-site SEO. Google is now prioritizing how easy the website is to navigate and the actual content of the website. If users land on your website but leave immediately (measured as "bounce rate" in Google Analytics) this will signal to Google that your website is not user friendly.

In-short, UI/UX & website content is now prioritized.

Other things to consider aside from links:
    - Domain Age
    - Title and description tags on each page of your website
    - H1 H2 and H3 tags
    - Images and ALT tags
    - Internal Links
    - UI/UX
    - Consider Press Releases
    - Submit to Google for indexing
    - Include a XML Sitemap & submit it to Google Search Console

Once all the above is taken cared for your website is ready for some Off-Site SEO (Link Building). As long as you put your on-site SEO first your website will begin to rank in no time.

I personally do the on-site myself and hire a reputable link building company to generate links for my websites because it's very time consuming.

Hope this helped...
  19. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Sorry saneraaww the information you have posted is either incorrect or out of date.

If users land on your website but leave immediately (measured as "bounce rate" in Google Analytics) this will signal to Google that your website is not user friendly.
    Simply wrong. Bounce rate is not a signal. consider a site that tells the time in New York. A user who clicks to the site gets the information they need then leaves as the user request is fulfilled. So having a high bounce rate on such a site is a good thing. However if a user hits the back button then clicks a different result now that could be seen as the user request was not satisfied. Tests I have run to prove this have failed to move a position in SERPS.

In-short, UI/UX & website content is now prioritized.
    Design of a website has nothing to do with position. A site can be really pretty but that on its own will not effect SERPS.

Title and description tags on each page of your website
    Title will help matching a user query with your page so that part is correct, The meta description though does not help in the slightest in SERPS. It does help with users clicking your link in SERPS if it matches what they are looking for so a good description can improve your Click through rate (CTR)

H1 H2 and H3 tags
    Correct, This directly helps google match your page with a users search so can help SERPS.

Images and ALT tags
    Images have no bearing on SERPS however the Alt text is a great way of adding keywords to your page.

Internal Links
    One of the most important elements however its the Anchor tags that help here or the Alt text if its an image.

UI/UX
    Rubbish

Consider Press Releases
    Devalued years ago as anyone can do a press release. Links from reputable news sites will be nofollow so don't help with SERPS. Press releases can however be good for traffic so that should be your reason for doing them.

Submit to Google for indexing
    No real requirement to do this. If you use chrome or any of googles products such as search console then google know about your site. It may speed up how quickly google bot visits but wont have any impact on position.

Include a XML Sitemap & submit it to Google Search Console
    Assuming all your pages can be clicked to then submitting a sitemap will have no bearing on a sites ability to rank. The only time you need to submit a sitemap is if you have orphan pages. i.e. pages that users cannot get to via clicking. Pages that are a result of a search is a good example of orphan page or maybe a archive.

reputable link building company
    Sorry that is just a oxymoron. the is no such thing as a ethical black hat company. Now if your talking about a marketing company who you have hired to drive traffic to your site that is very different to hiring someone to build follow links, no matter how "reputable" you say they are, that is bad news for the longevity of your site and a huge gamble that they dont screw up and trash your site.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  21. No Profile Picture

I wouldn't trust tools to predict things like that.

Knowing how many backlinks will rank you on Google comes with experience.

I would recommend build as many highly authoritative backlinks as you can instead of focussing on the volume.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply Chedders.

I am going to just reply quickly and wouldn't want to go back and forth. You do bring some good points but they are implied in my reply and most of them are common sense (hence the XML sitemap, etc.).

Google know what type of content is on the website and the user intent of the search query. You are correct for the time example, however, Google already knows the user intent on a website like that and will not measure the bounce rate as opposed to a website that ranks for a keyword with research intent. In most cases, a website that simply tells time won't even get traffic since Google will most likely give you the time at the top of the search engine. Just like a website that converts pounds into Kilo's etc...

Bounce rate is actually a very powerful indicator depending on the user search intent.

If user experience is garbage... (e.g website loads very slow )
    bounce rate will increase SERP rankings will decrease along with traffic.

Having all links to your website as Follow Links is not good. This will raise a red flag. Press releases are a good way to diversify your backlinks follow to no-follow ratio.

A good SEO company will perform blogger outreach for you. This is good and will help you focus on your business (which is probably not SEO).

Cheers mate... thanks for your feedback, and if your strategy works keep doing what you are doing.
  25. No Profile Picture

I am going to point out one more bad piece of advice...

Originally Posted by sameraw
    Other things to consider aside from links:
    - Domain Age
    The age of a domain plays very little as far as SEO is concerned in the over all scheme of things. The domain could have been bought for prospecting, it could be parked for later use, etc., etc..

I work in the local search niche for small mom and pop businesses. Typically these site are brand new, never been registered before etc., etc.. What matters is how well the website is constructed SEO wise, (especially content and internal linking). Proper use of all of the important SEO real estate.

I will never tell a client that they can't rank their business because their domain name is brand new. I do tell them it takes between 4 and 6 months to see any real significant results.

I will say that the age may be used as an indicator for determining if the site is legitimate or not. The renewal date for instance, if only registered for a year, it could be a scam, especially if the site gets reported for shady practices, but all in all Domain Age is not a metric of importance.

Many flaws in your basic assumptions.. poorly explained examples. Remember people come here for advice, and if you post poor or bad advice, well some of us will explain it to you, no offense.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  27. No Profile Picture

.is there any compulsion for ranking of websites do more backlinks?
  29. No Profile Picture

Get smarter about link building, read this article posted on Search Engine Watch.
    (click the image, it be linked, also there be a few reading this thread that can benefit from reading the whole article)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: