Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to know which keywords are best?

Hey guys, I wish to have 2 keywords, one for my "Virus repair" services and the other for "computer repair", I am located in New York. How do I go about finding which would be my best keywords please? Do I search google for the top combinations of each service so for example "virus repair, virus cleaning, malware removal, virus removal" and choose the one that has the highest number of searches? Is this how it is done?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

First use Google keyword planer and find out which of them gets more traffic or has higher search rate then I would first target keyword with a less competition just to gain speed and exposure once you begin dominating or will start ranking high for that keyword you could begin conquering the the other keyword. Takes time YES but it's an effective method.

Comments on this post

• Adam.W agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

mikehende, I am not SEO experts but Brian Dean of backlinko is so read his suggestion about keyword research at here: Keyword Research: The Definitive Guide

I hope, it will help you.
  7. No Profile Picture

There's a way I use it with keyword planner if I'm not sure about keyword:
    - look into GWT and phrases for Your domain
    - select 3 months (all possible time frame)
    - sort by number of impressions

and then look (examples):
    - number of impressions: 1000 - av position 50 - good keyword
    - i: 1000 - av 10 - skip
    - i: 1000 - av - 100+ - very good!
    - i: 100 - av - 20 - skip

List all good and very good and check with keyword planner. It should have similar kws but these are related to Your website.

Comments on this post

• Adam.W : It appears the OP doesn't rank for these keywords yet so this method would not be effective.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree with the bit above about using Google Keyword Planner. You're not going to launch a new site and then start ranking for broader terms like the ones you have listed. Your goal should be to find the most RELEVANT terms. The most important bit of information you brought up is that you're in New York. "computer repair" is good but "computer repair in new york" is better. Sure, the latter has much lower search volume, but mind you, it includes "computer repair" - so technically you're still optimizing your site for the shorter tail phrase. Just be sure you're not overusing the phrase. If you have "computer repair in new york," verbatim, 3, 4, 5 times in the same paragraph, you're asking to be devalued. Write so the content flows naturally.

Also: be sure your address and phone number are on the site. Create a Google Places for Business page. Drive as many possible signals to Google about your exact location so you can be ranked with local results.
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok but if You have website for a couple of months, You have data to decide what new keyword could be chosen. For a new website - try keyword planner, traffic trends and other similar tools for long tail keyphrase (hittail for example).
  13. No Profile Picture

Don`t you think that the most viewd keyword isn`t always the best?
  15. No Profile Picture

I have found that the money is in finding those specific keywords that have yet to peak in popularity. It does mean a little more work (what is popular now, what is starting to become popular) but I have no doubt that it going to prevent you from having to compete against everyone else who has the same idea.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Aaron C. Ikner
    I have found that the money is in finding those specific keywords that have yet to peak in popularity. It does mean a little more work (what is popular now, what is starting to become popular) but I have no doubt that it going to prevent you from having to compete against everyone else who has the same idea.
    The idea is to find really relevant word for your business.
  19. No Profile Picture

According to me you should check your business first and then choose keyword accordingly. You can use keyword planner tool and from competitor's site can also chose this. Select keyword which have low or medium competition, so that it will be easy to rank them early. After then you can take another keywords as well for ranking.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Adam.W
    I agree with the bit above about using Google Keyword Planner. You're not going to launch a new site and then start ranking for broader terms like the ones you have listed. Your goal should be to find the most RELEVANT terms. The most important bit of information you brought up is that you're in New York. "computer repair" is good but "computer repair in new york" is better. Sure, the latter has much lower search volume, but mind you, it includes "computer repair" - so technically you're still optimizing your site for the shorter tail phrase. Just be sure you're not overusing the phrase. If you have "computer repair in new york," verbatim, 3, 4, 5 times in the same paragraph, you're asking to be devalued. Write so the content flows naturally.

Also: be sure your address and phone number are on the site. Create a Google Places for Business page. Drive as many possible signals to Google about your exact location so you can be ranked with local results.
    Exactly!! For Social Media Exposure, you can use stuffs like # @ to evaluate the social media presence of the keywords as Social Media is equally important for getting leads and conversions.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

for the best keywords you can go with google planner and the google keyword density checker. your keyword density should be in between 6 and 7

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : re: keyword density (Don't ever quote numbers)!
  25. Contributing User

Somewhere between your modem and your browser
    You didn't specify this but I will assume that you plan on doing this via PPC.

I'd.
    - Gather keywords using something like Keyword Planner. or some of the other ones on the market. Get a massive list.

- Use something like Traffic Travis to monitor over time and isolate those that are appearing against the keywords most frequencly and then go and do some solid content analysis on the text to identify what is working, and what is appearing only periodically.

- Look at the landing pages of websites that are in your target area and look for changes that are made to get insights as to what is working and what is not.

BIG CAVEAT!

However, this will not work on generic phrases where, for example there are millions of SMBs that want to have their name in Googles keyword stars-in-their-eyes, and there are lots of free coupons for them to use test and fail badly - but still enjoy their 5 minutes of fame in the listings! For example: if there are 10K villas in Provence, France and each of the owners has a free coupon and Google tells them that "Provence Villas" is what is popular then you ain't going to get anything that even resembles a market economy from Google keyword planner you are going to get something that is very very inflated. I would also hop over to Google and do some keyword searches manually to see how that comes through on a user-end. All these things can create a false economy. And don't bid on keywords that might bring you conversions but not enough money for Google's coffers because there won't be sufficient search volume for that either!

-----side rant!

If you do keyword research using the planner in Google in the Travel and Tourism sector you will find often that the country will appear in the keyword as a very popular searched term. So for example "beach holiday" is something you might be searching for., but you get suggested "beach holiday UK". I don't know about other readers here but the last time I was looking for a beach holiday in the country in which I was living I did not need to specify the country, it is not the way people search -

"darling I'm going to go and look for a beach holiday uk now?"
    "fabulous, I was just looking at the latest train tickets uk, and it seems that there are some wonderful offers uk"

But the Google drop-down promotes these queries and you just need to look at the CPC on these country specific terms to see how illogical it is from a human point of view (that's the great user experience we hear so often talked about) and how much is it geared less to users and more to pushing revenues around key terms in the Adwords interface. Just see cost of UK appended queries with their non-uk appended counterparts, sometimes it is 3 or 4 times as much even if the offline logic says that people would search without a UK in the keyword term. What's more as Google is able to personalize these results it becomes a little difficult to defend the actions that you see in terms of the results pages and keyword suggestions.

-----exit side rant!

Oh heck that's three posts and two rants about Google!

LittleG
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by omthavertch
    the google keyword density checker.
    ... which doesn't actually exist
    Originally Posted by omthavertch
    your keyword density should be in between 6 and 7
    ... says who?
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seobacklink14
    Hello you can check google keyword planer your keyword is good or bad .
    How? What would it show?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: