1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

How Google's Algo's affect businesses

We have seen many algo's that give penalties for improper use of seo tactics... but this last one has the capacity to promote pirating...
    What do you guys think about this one?

https://thenextweb.com/google/2017/0...#.tnw_mSaUecmQ

3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I would have thought this is a headline grabbing myth.
    Whilst it is really easy to remove a known watermark from an image it begs the quesiton of why ? Google would be sued in every country for breach of copyright and would lose. Copyright law is really well defined in many countries around the world, it was not that long ago I read of a artist suing someone for plagiarism as they had used the artists original painting as inspiration, That was in Canada I believe and the artist won the case and damages awarded.

For a while when I retired from the IT world I became a digital artist to fill my spare time, Copyright issues became a reality and I was pleasantly surprised on how strong the law is on this. I grant you it depends on your country and not all are as strict, here is the UK though its pretty well defined and I also believe it to be fairly strong in the USA where google are based.

Its not that this is not possible, it is I just would be doubtful if google would alter copyright owners content in such a blatant way and expect to get away with it.

Comments on this post

• sksharma agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I can see a world of hurt coming Google's way if they start using that to pretty up the serps. A lot of photo vendors would get very angry, I know I would.

I will almost bet someone will leak that algo and code it for the net.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It seems this is a good example of the need for vigilance about web articles and their interpretation when they discuss technical issues and Google.

Here are other articles written about the same publicly available research paper:

This is Google's article from its research blog:

17 Aug 17: Making Visible Watermarks More Effective

Quote: "As often done with vulnerabilities discovered in operating systems, applications or protocols, we want to disclose this vulnerability and propose solutions in order to help the photography and stock image communities adapt and better protect its copyrighted content and creations."

Then there is the original paper as publicly presented at CVPR 2017:

Original Paper: On the Effectiveness of Visible Watermarks
    Authors: Tali Dekel and Michael Rubinstein, Research Scientists, Google

I find it impossible to accept any theory that the research was intended to promote piracy. In fact, the authors offer suggestions as to how watermarking can be amended to improve security.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 21st, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

I never said Google was promoting piracy, my exact words were
    Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    . but this last one has the capacity to promote pirating...
    There are many folks out there that would take that software and use it for illegal purposes. It doesn't matter for what purpose it was created, it can be use inappropriately, that was my point.

People commit crimes every day, who knows what tool or weapon they will choose to use.

Again, I never said or implied any theory of the origins of the research / algo..... I just pointed out that some one could use it for ill gotten gain. They will too. Software piracy happens all the time, and I can assure you no one never thought that software piracy was at the heart of creating the internet. .
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KnowOneSpecial,
    I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. Just observe how easy it is for info to morph into something it is not.

My beef is with authors who create link bait headlines like, "Google-made algorithm automatically removes watermarks from stock photos" that then turn into articles that seem to obscure or misrepresent the intent and objectives of the original research paper.

Eg: "...I can see a world of hurt coming Google's way if they start using that to pretty up the serps"

I wonder whether folk would have thoughts like that if they had instead read the Google article that included:

"...we want to disclose this vulnerability and propose solutions in order to help the photography and stock image communities adapt and better protect its copyrighted content and creations"?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

John are you referring to the term of fake news?
    twisting to their advantage?

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : Right on. IMHO, SEO is full of it!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I still don't get it. Why is Google doing this?

With regard to copyright, if people want to steal your photos they will regardless if a watermark is present or not. There are already tools that can do this, although not automatic, but they work. Piracy is just part of the game.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Cloudduster,
    I have no more idea than you.

What we have is this statement from G., "...we want to disclose this vulnerability and propose solutions in order to help the photography and stock image communities adapt and better protect its copyrighted content and creations".

Do your research, use your experience and apply your logic like the rest of us. Then draw your own conclusions.

My experience says that G has been waging war on search scams for all of its existence. Image scams are just another front in the battles.

Image searches have been a rapidly expanding search area. I'm guessing that G is very concerned about the online advertising it may be losing to image based social media. If so, an attack on scam/spam images may help it defend its Adword base.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 04:44 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yeah, I can see a world of hurt coming Google's way if they start using that to pretty up the serps.