1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to go about determining decline of site ranking

Hello friends, one of my site has suddenly taken a dive. Have been waiting for a few weeks as in the past site gone down but it comes back up in a week or so.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I've been seeing the same. I'd wait and see why.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Test-ok much appreciated, you helped me a few years back so good to get your advise again. So you think it might come up in a few weeks. Recently we had created a Scholarship. Could this be a problem. Are comments being degraded.
  7. No Profile Picture

Need urgent guidance on this as SERP have declined precipitously.
  9. Always Wrong

Determine decline of site ranking:

As with any form of problem solving, the first step is information gathering. Naturally if I saw a very substantial decline in my Alexa ranking, which occurs from time to time, the first place I go is Google web masters. A good percentage of the time there would be a message or indication of site errors waiting for me. If no message is present check for site errors, goto look at your site load times.

The majority of the time I've found my answer within WebMasters or analytics if it was something on my end. However in some instances I've come up empty handed. I looked at the onsite aspects, and came to find Yoast plugin was busted somehow, and less than 12 hours later site was back in business again. You basically just go down the list of possibilities till you find it.

Now if it's just fluctuations, I have come to find traffic plays a substantial role in rank.

Comments on this post

• ndelia agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Have you done any link building, and if you have, are any of the links pointing to the page(s) you're seeing a decline in the serps. This could have triggered an algo.

Have you changed anything on the site lately ? Anything that may have caused a rendering problem so Google can't read the page.

Have you improperly used schema / rich snippet markup on your pages that are falling in the serps ?

Why don't you post the domain and what keywords and the specific urls that should show up in the serps?

If you don't want to post that info publicly here on the forum, then you could pm the info. But the more of us that see this the better the chances one of us may identify you issues.

Comments on this post

• ndelia agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks Sean and KnowOneSpecial. The site is toyota-dealer.org which is a Joomla site and toyota-dealer.org/wp1which is a Wordpress site. The wordpress site was being throttled by the host so moved the whole site three times to avoid throttling. Now it is in a semi-dedicated server but still at least once a day hitting CPU limits. LiteSpeed caching and Cloudflare are both enabled as is Optimization for CSS and JS. The Joomla site is the older site but we could not duplicate its URL structure in Wordpress site. Here in Thailand we have limited CMS and SEO knowledge so have been finding our way banging our head a few times. Link profile was good enough to give us a few good years with few up and down dances but this time is it is a sustained downward pull.

While the site was moved, tags disappeared for a while but in the third move they came back. No serious errors in Search Console. We have Yoast installed but don't have enough in-house SEO knowledge to implement it properly. If there is a link where I can learn it will be glad to give it a try. Have tried a few SEO companies over the past few years but are burned out as each attempt resulted in SERP declines and had to track back our steps.
    Last edited by Test-ok; May 31st, 2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Live link
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ndelia
    Link profile was good enough to give us a few good years with few up and down dances but this time is it is a sustained downward pull.
    Lets talk about your backlinks for a moment. I think they have more to do with your current problems than you might think.

Look at this picture...
    You got 11445 links from 58 IP address >> look at the calculator, almost 200 links from each IP.

Also based on the average of 197 links per domain, you have added roughly 18 domains since December 2017.
    Have you followed the same pattern, ie, roughly a 100 links per IP ?

Stop you link building, it is only muddling the waters.

17. No Profile Picture

Thanks KnowOneSpecial. Will investigate this. I suspect those links were comments we received by sheer fortune/misfortune a few months back where 7 or 8 blog comments were on sites that list Recent Comments on their sidebar so even though it was supposed to be one link it turned out to be from 200 to 2000 links per site. Even though we were off the sidebar within days, somehow those links are still showing as that many links even in Search Console when it should be displaying one link buried by hundreds of comments since then.

Also need guidance on any site that will teach me Yoast for car dealers/exporters and also what link building strategies are working. The more I read SEO forums and the more Youtube videos I watch the more I get confused.
  19. No Profile Picture

Also some of your problems are caused by the connection established between the following sites... you have lots of links from these sites. I found it, I suspect Google has found it as well.

dubai-car-dealer.com
    toyota-hilux-revo.org

The above two sites link a lot and I mean a lot to...
    toyota-dealer.org

I think the usage of the sites like this have created a footprint for manipulation.

Comments on this post

• ndelia agrees
  21. No Profile Picture

KnowOneSpecial thanks again. Yes the sites are ours as well, one is for our Dubai branch and the toyota-hilux-revo.org has details on as the name suggests on our best selling pickup truck from our Thailand office. So cross linking is inevitable though will do a search to determine if there is too much of it that is unnatural and forced. Different authors have written articles over the years so a scrutiny will be helpful. Loving your advise.
  23. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Your links profile appart, there are a lot of things that are going wrong on your site starting by the way you display your content on your homepage.

Regarding your throttling issue

The wordpress site was being throttled by the host so moved the whole site three times to avoid throttling. Now it is in a semi-dedicated server but still at least once a day hitting CPU limits
    Could you give me a rough idea of your traffic? Because I'm thinking you should take a look at your server logs and hits vs your traffic. A client of mine had the same issue and it was mainly due to bots hitting the website like crazy and nearly crashing the server. Ahrefs, Moz, SEMRush and others can be a real pain when it comes to hitting websites hard. Check if your trafic correlates with your hits (you will never have the same numbers but 1.000.000 hits per day for 50 users for eg is a real problem)
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  25. No Profile Picture

Pierre, thanks for taking time to look at the site. Times of such promiscuous hits are a thing of the past. In days when Google used to publish PR the site once hit PR6 and we used to dominate the SERPs in our neck of the woods but then it came to rest at PR3 until PR disappeared so don't know how Google perceives us now. Hits were down to a few thousands a day till early this year until it began dancing and in the past few weeks it is drastically down to a few hundreds. This is why I'm surprised why CPU throttling should be happening and is still happening after CSS, JS optimization, Cloudflare and caching. Will try changing the host if the throttling persists.
    Last edited by ndelia; Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: grammar