1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to Get New Site Crawled by Google

We've just about completed another web site and we are now thinking about SEO. I've read in the forums that it is better to be "found" by Google vs. actually submitting a URL directly to Google.

Following that advice, I've placed a few links from our company site to the new web site--figuring that when the Googlebot comes to our company site, it will pick up the link to the new web site and then the new site will get crawled, too.

Anyway, I checked the log files of both sites this morning and found that the Googlebot crawled our company site, but did not crawl the new site. Is this typical? I am an amateur at how Google works, so my initial plan to get the new site crawled may be seriously flawed. Any clarification others may have would be nice.

I want to get the new site into Google as soon as possible, so if submitting directly to Google is the best and most efficient way, I have no problem doing that.

Lay some wisdom on me, please!
  3. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Firstly, make sure that the link to the new site is placed on a PR rich page- PR 6 or above. Secondly, don't expect to get the new site crawled so soon. Deep crawl often takes time. Just make sure that the page that contains link to new site has been visited and then wait. There's absolutely no doubt that allowing google to find your site is better than submitting it. Have patience.
  5. No Profile Picture

How do you know if your site has been crawled by Google?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm not sure I understand the "better to be found by Google than submitted logic". I personally prefer to get indexed sooner rather than later. When I design a new site, the first link is to it from my portfolio, second stop is submit to Google, 3rd used to be DMOZ, tho these days it's darn near impossible to get a submission to go through.

I haven't seen any indication that Google has penalized any site because it was "submitted' versus "found".

Why would Google care?

Diana
  9. Give me Backlinks

Diana,

Google won't ever penalize you for submitting. Being found by google doesn't mean that you place a link to your site at any page regardless of the PR and then wait. The logic is that high PR pages are visited more often (daily almost) and thus a link to a site will be easily and sooner found by google and the new site will be indexed. When you submit to google, you never know when will it visit your site- may be within a month, two or three.

Shenandoah, see your log files to see when does google or other SE's visit your site. Or you can use Spydertrax.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I *knew* Google wouldn't penalize. I haven't had any problem with Google finding and/or crawling when submitted within a reasonable amount of time (2 weeks or less these days). Of course my portfolio was a PR4 last time I checked, so it's not too shabby for an inner page.

Diana - who's clients are happy dancing over Google rankings
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Humm, I submitted a fully optimised site last week and it was listed within two days with good results, (5th down on the first page) for my keywords. But hit and miss though I think as its often taken me ages to get listed with other sites!!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google has been doing better as of late to get new sites in the index.

Diana
  17. Registered User

You can always submit your site to one or more of the free directories that are spidered by Google. Good examples are JoeAnt, GoGuides and Gimpsy.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool, would this improve the PR do you think??
  21. Give me Backlinks

Depends uopn the PR of the page that links to your site. More the PR of the linking page, more PR passed to linked page. In addition, one should always take care while inputting the title of the site which actually becomes the link text for your site. Once you have submitted the site, it becomes very difficult to get the title changed, especially in Dmoz. Also, take care of the description in Dmoz.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh really? So when my site is next crawled, the title wont get updated? Bugger! I was relying on that!
  25. Give me Backlinks

What title are you talking about? I don't mean meta title. I mean the title field that you've to fill while submitting a site to a directory or a search engine. This title becomes the anchor text for the link to your site.

If you have changed meta title, the changed title will certainly be reflected, not sure when.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh, yeah I mean the title that appears at the top of your browser window. Thats cool! Cheers