1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How do most people handle "er" "ing" etc... in keyword meta tags?

How do most people handle "er" "ing" etc... in keyword meta tags?

For example... my target keyword is "book publish"... should I list "book publish, book publishing, book publisher" as meta keywords (if they are used in the content) or would this be considered keyword spamming?
  3. Contributing User

Meta keywords are not used by any of the major search engines, so it doesn't matter.

In more general terms, Google is pretty smart. If you search for "book publisher" for example, it knows that "book publishing" is basically the same keyword, and will also get you results with that term in them. Go enter "book publisher" into Google (without the quotes) and you'll see that most of the bolded keywords are "book publisher," but "book publishing" will also show up bolded, indicating that Google knows it is basically the same key phrase.

But, don't worry about meta keywords. They don't do anything.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by asnider
    Meta keywords are not used by any of the major search engines, so it doesn't matter.

In more general terms, Google is pretty smart. If you search for "book publisher" for example, it knows that "book publishing" is basically the same keyword, and will also get you results with that term in them. Go enter "book publisher" into Google (without the quotes) and you'll see that most of the bolded keywords are "book publisher," but "book publishing" will also show up bolded, indicating that Google knows it is basically the same key phrase.

But, don't worry about meta keywords. They don't do anything.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by asnider
    I disagree, if you do a search for "book publisher" and compare it to a search for "book publishing" they will be different about 90% of the time. Try this for other terms as well and you will see a pattern. I would recommend that you optimize for both as it will help you to rank highly for both and would only hurt you if you try to stuff too many keywords, but for 3-5 different keywords I think you would be fine.

Comments on this post

• asnider agrees : I agree, see my post below.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by jraymond
    I disagree, if you do a search for "book publisher" and compare it to a search for "book publishing" they will be different about 90% of the time. Try this for other terms as well and you will see a pattern. I would recommend that you optimize for both as it will help you to rank highly for both and would only hurt you if you try to stuff too many keywords, but for 3-5 different keywords I think you would be fine.
    That's right. I didn't mean to imply that they are exactly the same, only that if you rank well for one of those phrases, you will probably rank well for the others as well, since they are very similar phrases. But, you're correct, they aren't considered to be exactly the same, and will turn up different results. However, many of the results will be the same, but in a different order.

So, yes, if you want to rank #1 for all of those phrases, you should optimize for all of them.