1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Russellc
    How do I get my files indexed by the search engines after a redesign where file names have changed?
    Well, from an seo perspective, if you have decent link juice going to your current pages, then you want to redirect your old pages to your new ones to preserve the authority. Then signup for Google Webmaster Tools and submit a new sitemap.

But if you want to just remove the old ones, sign in to Google Webmaster tools, then you need to go in and request url removals of the old ones. Google will require that you disallow the old ones in your robots.txt file.

Google Webmaster tools > Site Configuration > Crawler access > Remove URL

Make sure you read their instructions completely. Good luck
    Last edited by ziggy1621; Aug 26th, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If there aren't any external links pointing to the old page, I would just wait for Google to re-index. Depending on how deep the page is, it might take a day or four weeks. Low authority pages are the ones that are crawled latest - the ones that you probably weren't getting any traffic on as landing pages.

If it's really bothering you, you can try to boost the pages authority with some links or use "fetch as Googlebot" (you have a limited number) in webmaster tools. (google.com/webmasters/)

If there are external links pointing to a page, I would make sure to do a 301 redirect to the new page. You can see the pages that had external links using a tool like Open Site Explorer from SEOMoz and Google Webmaster tools (404 pages under crawl errors if the old site was taken down.)

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Please don't tell me that you are not doing 301 permanent redirects from the old url's to the new url's. If you have not done 301's, that should be your first task when changing file names/url's.

Comments on this post

• JoeSteinbeck agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin