1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to Differentiate Meta Description

I'm looking for some creative ways to differentiate our meta descriptions. I know, I know - Google chooses what to use, but if i can control it in some way, why not, right? Has anyone, for example, ever used a phone number in their description and if so, what was the result? Seems like a great way to increase interaction on the SERPs. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ppres74; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

It would depend on the site as to whether or not I would include it.

You really would be better off in my opinion writing a "Fantastic Sales Pitch" that answers the reason why someone should click through to your site.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    It would depend on the site as to whether or not I would include it.

You really would be better off in my opinion writing a "Fantastic Sales Pitch" that answers the reason why someone should click through to your site.
    Agreeing with this one and also how do you intent to measure success with phone number in meta description?
    I assume, you are having also phone number on contact page on site?
  7. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Personally, I will not add phone numbers in the meta description because the user will not click into my website than dial a number which will be added in the meta description.

Write clickable meta description then Google knows when searchers click, when users dial, Google doesn't know about this.

But another aspect is adding the phone number in meta descriptions will minimize the barrier of your sales pitch
    So it is up to you how you take this call.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The issue for me is that it's rare that search engines even use my meta descriptions (probably because the content is so good!). I agree that the sales pitch is probably the best fit but for certain businesses I think a phone number might fit perfectly. There are actually many services that offer trackable phone numbers so if it were only to be used in organic search campaigns it might provide some much needed additional tracking. You could probably even take it a step further and contribute to building some trust by using a custom phone number - right now I'm thinking RingBoost because it looks like they have a ton of numbers.
  11. No Profile Picture

i always use Google Adwords advertisement result meta description for making my description different because we know that result will not be longer and by analyzing 3 or 4 adwords you can make your own
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    Write clickable meta description then Google knows when searchers click, when users dial, Google doesn't know about this.
    Fully agreed. I think it is enough to understand why generally we don't use phone number in meta description.
  15. No Profile Picture

don't use phone no in descriptions, use only click able descriptions in website
  17. No Profile Picture

If you really want to get creative use snippets and do write a clickable meta description (include any latest offers or deals if going on). Adding a phone no. won't help you.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Before writing metas for any website, or any eCommerce website first i do some research on web and research of the competitors what they are writing and boosting their traffic on search engines. Mostly i preffer google ads text that are creative and straight to the point.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Meta description is one of the most important to get ranking in search engine.

Comments on this post

• Hikin Mike : No it isn't.