Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

How different do titles need to be?

I'm really trying to get the most effective titles possible. Right now I have about a hundred different titles but would like to work on my branding more and make things easier.

I have multiple pages with the same-ish content except slightly re-worded and re-arranged to avoid duplicate content. For those pages what can I get away with without getting penalized and have it be the most effective to search engines. I'll use a tshirt website example (my sites are not about tshirts though):

Los Angeles | Sports T-Shirts | Clothing Garage Inc

There is a page like this for every major city in the US (or will be). So what would be a good system/strategy to title multiple pages like the above? Could I just swap out the city name for each page or will that be in risk of duplicate titles or something?

What about the description as well. Can I just swap out city titles or do I need a different description for each one?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think this site can help you. labs.wordtracker.com

By putting the keyword that you want, you can probably know what is the appropriate title for your site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks but thats not my question. Here is an example of what I think a good solid title would be for my site (although not about tshirts):

I have a "sports tshirts" page for each major city. Would it help or damage my SEO to name them as follows:

Orlando | Sports T-Shirts | Clothing Garage Inc
    Dallas | Sports T-Shirts | Clothing Garage Inc
    San Francisco | Sports T-Shirts | Clothing Garage Inc

Or what would be a better system to title these "sports tshirts" pages so that it doesn't appear like duplicate titles?

Thanks!
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Blue_Vision
    I'm really trying to get the most effective titles possible. Right now I have about a hundred different titles but would like to work on my branding more and make things easier.

I have multiple pages with the same-ish content except slightly re-worded and re-arranged to avoid duplicate content. For those pages what can I get away with without getting penalized and have it be the most effective to search engines. I'll use a tshirt website example (my sites are not about tshirts though):

There is a page like this for every major city in the US (or will be). So what would be a good system/strategy to title multiple pages like the above? Could I just swap out the city name for each page or will that be in risk of duplicate titles or something?

What about the description as well. Can I just swap out city titles or do I need a different description for each one?

Thanks!
    Try this:

Home Page ~~ BROAD MATCH KEYWORDS | BRAND

Categories ~~ PHRASE MATCH KEYWORDS | CALL-TO-ACTION | BRAND

Products ~~ EXACT MATCH KEYWORDS | CALL-TO-ACTION | BRAND

So for example:

Home Page ~~ T-Shirts, Sports, Memorabilia @ Clothing Garage Inc

Categories ~~ Baseball T-Shirts | Buy 1 Get 1 FREE! @ Clothing Garage Inc

Products ~~ Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirt | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc

Remember ranking is only half the battle... you need to entice the search to click to!

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees
  9. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

... what can I get away with ...
    I am forever amazed that people spend thousands of dollars and hours of time on a website and then want to cut corners on items that really matter and deserve and require thought and research.

With any effort at all, Fathom's above post could have been found on one of a dozen posts on this forum.

You will never learn anything being spoon fed.

Comments on this post

• JVRudnick agrees : TOO TOO true, JB! :-)
    • EGOL agrees : "You can not help a man permanently by doing for him the things that he could and should do for himself.".... A. Lincoln
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by JBacchi
    I am forever amazed that people spend thousands of dollars and hours of time on a website and then want to cut corners on items that really matter and deserve and require thought and research.

With any effort at all, Fathom's above post could have been found on one of a dozen posts on this forum.

Argumentatively (while I do agree with you) it is one of the reasons why I think the way I do ... because each time someone asks, they ask differently, and the subtle differences makes me think differently.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JBacchi

I'm forever amazed at the people who spend as long as they did typing that unhelpful post instead of reading the question better and helping the starter of the thread.

And I did search the forum and read several posts that speak of the most effective titles but that's not the question I have. Did you even bother to read the title of the thread. It's pretty simple...

fathom, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your helpful post. That does appear to be an awesome strategy that I'll take advantage of on pages. However, my question is still not answered.

"How different do titles need to be"?

I'll try to use your examples as an example but I don't have "products" or "categories" so it makes it kinda difficult. I have listings.

Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirt | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc

Lets say I have a page like this with the exact same page and offering for each major city in the US. How different do the titles need to be?

Can I just change the city?

Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirts | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc
    New York Baseball T-Shirts | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc
    Chicago Baseball T-Shirts | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc

or do I need to really change up the wording even though it's the exact same offering like:

Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirts | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc
    Baseball T-Shirts in New York | Exclusive Online Pricing | Clothing Garage Inc
    Chicago Baseball Shirts | Sale $9.95 - Only at Clothing Garage Inc

Do you see what I'm saying? Even though the offering is the exact same on each of those pages do I need to mix up the titles that much or can I just change out the city?

Contrary to what JBacchi believes I am actually not trying to cut corners at all. "what can I get away with" was just taken out of context from what I was talking about. I'm just trying to make sure I have a reasonable approach to titling hundreds of pages that host the exact same content but just for each individual city.

If I can come up with one solid title like:

Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirt | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc

and just swap out the city without getting penalized by google then that just seems like a well branded and time conservative approach.

Thing that proves that I'm NOT trying to cut corners is the fact that all my pages (well over 100 done already) are already done with completely different titles. Thing is that I think they look sloppy and was running out of different ways to mix up the titles. So now I'd like to redo all of them with a more strategized, clean, and well branded approach.

Thanks and I look forward to additional help on how different the titles need to be : )

Comments on this post

• WhiteHatSEOMktg agrees : A lot of people on here see it as their mission in life to pick on newbies. Your questions are perfectly reasonable.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

"How different do titles need to be"?
    As different as your different products are - I am sure you can differentiate your titles by not only the city name but also the size and color of the shirts, right?

Such as

Los Angeles Baseball T-Shirts -XL, Black | $9.95 While Quantities Last! @ Clothing Garage Inc

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks but like I've mentioned in multiple posts... I don't have any products. I just used tshirts as an example of a title.

So no products to actually speak of to do that.

But thanks, your comment was on the right track to my question : )
  19. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

If you make cookie cutter pages like this...

Yada yada yada PITTSBURGH yada yada yada yada yada yada. PITTSBURGH yada yada yada yada....

Yada yada yada LOS ANGELES yada yada yada yada yada yada. LOS ANGELES yada yada yada yada....

... then you should expect to have all but one of them filtered from the search results. If you have a new site or a weak site don't expect cookie-cutter pages to last very long. You might get away with it for a while if you have a Powerful Site but those pages will probably not be permanent in the SERPs.

If you want pages be in the active index then you will need to make them unique. If you think you can make serious money from those pages then an investment in the unique content will pay back many times over.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : I didn't catch that the first time I read but I did this time!
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  21. rod@missionop.com

Let me save you some trouble.

I wouldn't set up a page for every city if the T-Shirt is the same for all except the name of the city.

You'll last maybe 4 months and get banned from Google...

That's called gaming the index (also referred to as hedging or baiting the index) and it does not work.

A better approach is "1" page and setting the products attributes to select the city of choice... obvious you can't game the engine that way but you'll stop your domain from being banned.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Thanks for adding these details... yes... in about four months those pages will be toasted.
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 6th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

LOL... You guys seem determined I'm lazy or trying to trick the search engines in some weird attempt to get rich.

My entire website has been structured and setup as instructed to by several threads in this forum.

My site is "listings". That's why there is a page setup the same for each city with just adjusted wording etc.

Here is a better example of what my site is and it's structure.

http://www.mywedding.com/orlando/wedding_planners

I have the website as the root, then city as a subfolder as above, then listings for a specific industry in that city.

Does that make better sense? It's not some cheapo get rich quick idea for ad clicks or anything. It's genuine content that people want and host our links on their sites as well (no, not link farms etc...LOL).

Does that help you to better understand what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated : )
    Last edited by pro_seo; Sep 7th, 2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: removed live link
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

LOL... You guys seem determined I'm lazy or trying to trick the search engines in some weird attempt to get rich.

Replace "orlando" with "tampa". This site is cookie-cutter pages. Will not work very well.

It's genuine content that people want and host our links on their sites as well (no, not link farms etc...LOL).

Does that help you to better understand what I'm trying to do?)
    There are a few pages of genuine content and lots of pages of genuine spam. Google will not show them in the SERPs very long.
  27. rod@missionop.com

I grabbed a paragraph from your website:

We're so glad you found us. Our website is devoted to helping you plan the wedding of your dreams. This is your day and you deserve to have the best. These wedding bliss memories are ones you'll hold onto forever. Your day has to be special and that's what we're here for.

While that's alarming... these are indexed... but let's suppose your dream comes true and you start ranking well for each city... 4 months later you'll be gone

It's happened before and it will happen again... be ready for it!

My entire website has been structured and setup as instructed to by several threads in this forum.

My site is "listings". That's why there is a page setup the same for each city with just adjusted wording etc.

Here is a better example of what my site is and it's structure.

I have the website as the root, then city as a subfolder as above, then listings for a specific industry in that city.

Does that make better sense? It's not some cheapo get rich quick idea for ad clicks or anything. It's genuine content that people want and host our links on their sites as well (no, not link farms etc...LOL).

Does that help you to better understand what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated : )
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What the heck is your guy's problem?

This forum is supposed to be a place for people to go for SEO help and instead it's being a couple regulars interrogating newbies and putting down websites just to stroke each-others ego.

mywedding IS NOT MY SITE! I never said that it was! I don't put links to my website in help forums like this for many good reasons as is being done in this thread!

MyWedding is obviously not focusing on SEO. I believe they probably advertise in magazines and paid ads. Their meta data sucks and they have no actual content (related text) on those listing pages to even try to have decent rankings. My website is 100% different then that. I ONLY used that link to show that it is structured like my site as I mentioned in the post.
    Neither do I offer listings to so many random industries like they do. I only offer to 1 single industry like "wedding flowers" and that's it. My entire site is dedicated to only 1 thing and making pages that are helpful to my visitors towards that.

I'm also not sticking up for their website or saying they are doing things well but their site has been in the search engines for years. They don't have great ranking but they certainly aren't banned in 4 months like you guys are saying.

Now, it seems that this forum is now "helping impaired" towards a persons question in the title of their thread and whole entire point for posting but just incase I'll keep asking it I guess...

How different do titles need to be? Would a good strategy be to keep the first and third part of the following static and just change around the middle parts wording "Exclusive Online Pricing" or would I get penalized for having the 1st part the same and business name always in the title at the end?

New York Sports T-Shirts | Exclusive Online Pricing | Clothing Garage Inc
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: