Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question How check keyword competition?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which way is best to find keyword competition?? Search keyword in quotes "", search keyword using (1)allintitle: keyword
    (2) allintitle:"keyword"
    (3) allinanchor:keyword
    (4) allinanchor: "keyword"
    (5) "KEYWORD"

which is best way to find accurate competition in google? pls help me
  3. The Maniac Marketer
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by manjeetjat
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me which way is best to find keyword competition?? Search keyword in quotes "", search keyword using (1)allintitle: keyword
    (5) "KEYWORD"

which is best way to find accurate competition in google? pls help me
    Well, searching alone isn't going to show you how much competition a keyword has. Your best bet is to look at the search results to see how optimized the top ranking site for your keywords is. This will show you how hard you're going to have to work to get to the top.

Then you can look at how optimized the site at the 9th or 10th position is. This'll tell you how hard it's going to be to break into the first page. When you're looking at your competitors, it's important to look at both on-page and off-page factors. In my opinion, off-page factors (link count, relevancy, anchor text etc.) hold more weight.

EDIT: And, yeah, you can try SEO for Firefox. It's a firefox plugin found at tools.seobook.com/firefox/seo-for-firefox.html It's a great tool but I do recommend you do some of it manually. You can also check out marketleap.com for their link comparison tool.
    Last edited by Pacific Monk; Jun 21st, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Pls tell me which one is best and accurate way from the following styles to search the keywords :-
    (1)allintitle: keyword
    (5) "KEYWORD"

Pls give me brief details quickly
  7. The Maniac Marketer

They're all different queries and yield different results. Which one you should use to gauge competition depends on what you're trying to do.

allintitle: keyword - brings up a list of all pages with the keyword appearing somewhere in the title

allintitle:"keyword" - if the keyword is actually a phrase, this query helps locate all pages with the phrase appearing in exactly the same order within the title.

allinanchor:keyword - brings up a list of pages whose inbound links have the keyword somewhere in the anchor text

allinanchor: "keyword" - again, this is used for phrases appearing in the same order in the anchor text of inbound links

"KEYWORD" - shows pages with the keyword or phrase appearing anywhere within them (including the title), and/or in the anchor text of inbound links.

Whew.
  9. No Profile Picture

Which one is good and most useable search type all of them for SEO's.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is how I do Competitive Keyword Analysis.

Keyword count strength analysis

1. Ok, I've done my keyword analysis and got my seed list of highly relevant keyword phrases from all the various keyword suggestion tools. There might be 200 keyword phrases on it, for example. I have them in a column on a spreadsheet.

2. Wordtracker has the least skewed search counts so I use that as a rough guide to find out how many people are actually searching for my keyword phrases. I use to use Yahoo as well but it's out of date now. I add the search counts, actual and estimated in two columns to my spreadsheet.

3. I get rid of all the keywords below a certain number of searches which will vary depending on how many searches the most searched phrases are getting. If some keyword phrases get low search counts but are very relevant and might convert really well, I keep them for the next phase anyway, I'm not just going for the big numbers, anything that might convert well and is competitive is a contender. I might be down to 60 or 70 phrases at this point.

Keyword competition analysis

4. For the remaining phrases I look at Google (because it accounts for 76% of UK daily searches) and I look to see how many pages return for each and every keyword phrase and enter that figure into the next column on my spreadsheet.

5. Then I do an intitle:"keyword" search for every keyword phrase and make a new column for that figure.

6. Then I do an intitle:"keyword" & inanchor:"keyword" (both together) for each keyword phrase. Any page that has my keyword phrases in both the Title and an on page link is likely to be optimised for that phrase so they're my assumed optimised competition, I'm hoping to see low numbers for this particular search (under 30 is good, under 10 is great, I'm not looking to go head to head with loads of optimised competition).

7. I score each keyword phrase using an algorithm I made up that uses a logarithmic weighting for each of the values (search count, total pages, keyword in title pages, keyword in title & anchor pages) and gives each keyword a score (kind of like KEI, I just improved the original idea a bit)

8. Depending on the scores, I carry through maybe 20 keywords phrases that scored the highest to the backlink analysis. The algorithm is design to score the phrases on their competitiveness so even low search count keywords can do well if there is little optimised competition.

Competing pages BackLink analysis

9. I Google each keyword phrase again but this time I'm looking at the top 10 returning pages and analysing the strength of their incoming links. I take each page and use Yahoo's Site Explorer to look at all their backlinks. What I'm looking for in particular is the use of the actual keyword phrase in the anchor text. I don't look at every single IBL, just enough to get a feel for whether or not they're optimised for that phrase in particular. Sometimes, I'll even look at the backlinking site's own backlinks but I don't usually have time for that depth of analysis, gotta keep the client's costs down....

I also use Google's PR figure to get a very rough idea of what Google thinks of the quality of their IBLs. I add all the link numbers to the spreadsheet and average them out to get an idea of how competitive each phrase is for IBLs, are there a lot for this phrase or is the average quite low? It's just an general indicator of whether I can compete or not though and the important thing is the individual pages and their IBLs. I want to get into the top 5 minimum so those competing pages get the most attention usually.

Choosing the keyword phrases to recommend

I usually end up with a handful, 5-10 keyword phrases that have good search counts and a low number of optimised competing pages. From those I choose 3 or 4 that I think I can get the client a high ranking for and that most importantly, are likely to convert to a sale.

All this usually takes about half a day, another half day to implement on-site changes and build up some relevant backlinks and a further half day to monitor, report and tweak over the next 6 months. I think that's pretty good value for money. I give the clients all the keyword analysis data so that they can see what they paid for and sometimes even to understand how I did it (except for the algorithm which is the only bit they couldn't get for free off any search engine).

And that's it.

[I haven't gone into much detail on why each step is important, I'm assuming a basic knowledge of how search engines work and the importance Google places on back links and relevance, I can't wait to see what people would change or add to this, get posting guys ]
  13. SEO: My Passion

i use "keywords" to find the competitions. Since it will give you more competitors than other query strings, so i put some more effort to make it appear in top rankings.
  15. No Profile Picture

What procedure u use for find competition between keywords, that which keyword is less competitive , which is more . Pls give me any formula u use for this
  17. No Profile Picture

How find keywords conversion rate and competition rate. is any formula for this? pls give me brief details
  19. No Profile Picture

Why not study WordTracker?
  21. The Maniac Marketer

Originally Posted by manjeetjat
    How find keywords conversion rate and competition rate. is any formula for this? pls give me brief details
    Looks like you don't want to read a lot but want someone to hand you this "magic formula" on a silver platter. Pardon me for saying it, but it's not going to happen.

I'm not trying to offend you; it's just that you need to be willing to put in some effort if you expect to learn the tricks of the trade. No one's going to say, "Here's the keyword competition formula, have a ball!" and if someone does, they're conning you.

I appreciate your asking questions, but I do advise you read some more. All you've been doing throughout this thread is ignoring people's replies and saying the same thing over and over again.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Pacific Monk
    They're all different queries and yield different results. Which one you should use to gauge competition depends on what you're trying to do.

allintitle: keyword - brings up a list of all pages with the keyword appearing somewhere in the title

allintitle:"keyword" - if the keyword is actually a phrase, this query helps locate all pages with the phrase appearing in exactly the same order within the title.

allinanchor:keyword - brings up a list of pages whose inbound links have the keyword somewhere in the anchor text

allinanchor: "keyword" - again, this is used for phrases appearing in the same order in the anchor text of inbound links

"KEYWORD" - shows pages with the keyword or phrase appearing anywhere within them (including the title), and/or in the anchor text of inbound links.

Whew.

Thanks for valuable information...
    globexweb.com
  25. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much for your contribution @ JJMcClure. I followed your advise and have some question regarding it.

"For the remaining phrases I look at Google (because it accounts for 76% of UK daily searches) and I look to see how many pages return for each and every keyword phrase and enter that figure into the next column on my spreadsheet."

Do you use brackets for this or not? For example, do you type:
    "my keyword" or my keyword (without brackets) in google?

And when you look at the INLINKS on yahoo site explorer - do you select the options "except from this domain" + "only this url"?

Of course, you won't share your alogrythm, but I'm still a noob in SEO and if I can figure out at least the correct way to do the analysis you describe, then this is worth much for me.

Thank you for your time & help in advance!

PS. I will be going through this and will let you know the results. I've already did the keyword research and came up with some keywords (used Google AdWords Keyword suggestion - but I came up with only 39 keywords). Any good advise for a (free) keyword tool beside Google Adwords?
    Last edited by seoways; Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

[QUOTE=seoways]Thank you so much for your contribution @ JJMcClure. I followed your advise and have some question regarding it.

"For the remaining phrases I look at Google (because it accounts for 76% of UK daily searches) and I look to see how many pages return for each and every keyword phrase and enter that figure into the next column on my spreadsheet."

Originally Posted by seoways
    Do you use brackets for this or not? For example, do you type:
    "my keyword" or my keyword (without brackets) in google?
    No, because I don't believe that many searchers use search operators like brackets or speech marks. I'm trying to target the majority but searchers using "search" or [search] should still find me if they use the targeted phrase.

And when you look at the INLINKS on yahoo site explorer - do you select the options "except from this domain" + "only this url"?
    Yes, I always exclude the domain that owns the page that I'm looking at, and I'm only interested in external links to that page, not other pages on their site because that page is the one I'm trying to beat. Search engines rank pages, not sites.

Of course, you won't share your alogrythm, but I'm still a noob in SEO and if I can figure out at least the correct way to do the analysis you describe, then this is worth much for me.
    What I will tell you is that it is a combination of the all the stats I mentioned with logarithmic weighting for each depending on how important they are to calculating the value of a keyword. It's based on the orginal KEI formula.

"The formula that we have chosen is KEI = (P^2/C), i.e. KEI is the square of the popularity of the keyword and divided by its competitiveness." - Wordtracker

Thank you for your time & help in advance!

PS. I will be going through this and will let you know the results. I've already did the keyword research and came up with some keywords (used Google AdWords Keyword suggestion - but I came up with only 39 keywords). Any good advise for a (free) keyword tool beside Google Adwords?
    No problem, hope it's useful for you.

I mainly use Wordtracker, , Keyword discovery, Yahoo (only for the words, not the search counts), Google keyword tool, searches for the core phrases to see what other people are using, searches on competing sites etc etc
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

have you try. keyword spy?
    this tool iam using..
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: