1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Homepage profile linking pagerank?

Hi peeps, I was hoping someone could offer assistance on how it would be possible to link profiles to a homepage in order to pass pagerank to user profiles from the homepage.

The idea behind this is to enable users on our new gaming site to be able to create a twitter like profile avatar and background upload page with do follow hyperlink which they can promote services, blogs other content.

The reason for this is to cut down on potential spam elsewhere whilst giving the users a decent pagerank profile via linking all profiles it to the homepage, like twitter does.

The only problem faced at present is the sheer number of people who may sign up. How do i keep all the links on the homepage without spamming the homepage with potentially hundreds if not thousands of profiles should the site take off.

I was kinda hoping that new profiles could be hidden on the homepage but not visible, or pehaps have the profiles one click from the homepage but hidden, any thoughts?

Trying to figure out how twitter have managed to do this, assuming all the profiles are linked to the homepage.

Any help would be great, the final haul is neally over.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi aom,

Originally Posted by artofmagick
    Hi peeps, I was hoping someone could offer assistance on how it would be possible to link profiles to a homepage in order to pass pagerank to user profiles from the homepage.
    Then you probably mean link to profiles from the homepage?

The idea behind this is to enable users on our new gaming site to be able to create a twitter like profile avatar and background upload page with do follow hyperlink which they can promote services, blogs other content.

The reason for this is to cut down on potential spam elsewhere whilst giving the users a decent pagerank profile via linking all profiles it to the homepage, like twitter does.
    Not sure about twitter nav structure (and I don't have time to research it right now), but I'd be shocked if they link directly to all user profile pages from their homepage.

The only problem faced at present is the sheer number of people who may sign up. How do i keep all the links on the homepage without spamming the homepage with potentially hundreds if not thousands of profiles should the site take off.

I was kinda hoping that new profiles could be hidden on the homepage but not visible, or pehaps have the profiles one click from the homepage but hidden, any thoughts?
    Hiding links from users but displaying to spiders would be against Google's TOS (in other words "blackhat") and risks getting you banned.

A while back you could have achieved what you are looking for by using "nofollow links" to sculpt the passage of PR through your site and have it end up at the user profile pages; now that "nofollow links" are not working the same way, you can't.

You could "semi-hide" them with a css-based drop-down menu displaying only one top-level link (and placing it strategically so that it doesn't get much attention from surfers); you would - of course - need to add all new profile pages to it as they're created (some kind of script/function required); but I'm not so sure it's a good idea!

Trying to figure out how twitter have managed to do this, assuming all the profiles are linked to the homepage.

Any help would be great, the final haul is neally over.
    ALthough my first comment seemed pedantic, you have repeatedly said about linking profiles to the homepage; that will transfer pagerank to the homepage (sounds like that's not what you want).

PageRank is not really that important, although from your description I can understand what you are trying to achieve and - in that context - PageRank may entice more people to use your site... However, the thing that is important is the "link juice" that comes along with PageRank; and it's that flow of "link juice" (PR) that can make (or break) your website rankings.
    If you pass pagerank from your home page to all of your user profile pages (and through them to external sites), you will keep far less of it for your own site, and run the risk of building links just to give away the benefit to others... You may want to consider that (if you haven't already).
    One of the consequences would be that you are "telling" SE's that each user profile page is as important as any of your internal pages... thus with insufficient PR (LJ) you could end up with only your home page and user profile pages spidered/indexed... there may not be enugh PR/LJ to get your other internal pages indexed!

What Twitter did is to create an innovative service which created a huge viral buzz and gained them a lot of backlinks.
    In addition, most SBM sites and blogs now link to - and promote the idea of linking to - your Twitter profile, and many websites do the same.
    The massive number of incoming links to Twitters homepage, coupled with (probably) hundreds of thousands of links to user profile pages (and the interlinking of those pages), will be attracting and distributing massive PR/LJ, without the need to link to profile pages from their homepage, thus without "giving away" the majority of their incoming PR/LJ.

The best ideas I can offer are:

Create a sub-page/folder which lists all of your user profiles; link to that page (from prominent position) on your main site-nav' (all pages) and try to get a large number of poweful incoming links to that page/folder in addition to gaining links to your home page; (it means twice the promotional work of course, but - if you are determined to give users PR/LJ in return for, and as a reason for, having a profile on your site, you're going to need a lot of incoming LJ in order to make it work).

Create some nice little buttons/gadgets/graphics (served from your server) for users to add to their websites / SBM profiles / blogs etc when linking to their profile pages (or your home page).

Create a wordpress plugin to add user profile info from your site to a WP blog (to include links to their profile, your "profiles sub-folder - mentioned above - and your home page).

Not sure I really answered your question but I hope this helps
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hiya,

Then you probably mean link to profiles from the homepage?

That was the idea, the profile also would link back to the homepage so pagerank was passed back and forth, only pagerank will be passed from hopefully many user accounts.

A while back you could have achieved what you are looking for by using "nofollow links" to sculpt the passage of PR through your site and have it end up at the user profile pages; now that "nofollow links" are not working the same way, you can't.

Can you elaborate on this, first iv heard about this, I was under the impression that internal link structure passing juice to relevant pages was still a valid practice, avoiding wasting link juice on pages which do not need to be ranked in Google. Also no follow was and is valid on internal and homepage?

PageRank is not really that important, although from your description I can understand what you are trying to achieve and - in that context - PageRank may entice more people to use your site... However, the thing that is important is the "link juice" that comes along with PageRank; and it's that flow of "link juice" (PR) that can make (or break) your website rankings.

For my gaming site it is paramount, it is a combination of price comparison across 20 or so affilates, over 100,000 message boards which is updated daily based on new game releases. There will be a message board for each game across all consoles to discuss the game, game reviews, cheat pages, forums, rating system, downloadable games, online games, most of my competitors have pagerank 8-9 homepage and have millions of backlinks.

I suppose what i could do is have page rank pass to the forums from the homepage like on simplemachines, they have page rank 8 do follow forums and it seems to work very well, most have signatures in the sig. They also have a minimum 50 posts before do follow links are approved automatically to weed out spam.

I was going to no follow all game review links should they be posted and do follow message boards on each game once a certain number of posts has been achieved.

I think the whole idea of profile page rank is not feasible at present simply because it would eat up to much page rank, perhaps needed to be passed to important game review pages which in turn would also pass juice eventually to different page rank message boards based on the game review page rank.

The other interesting thing which may occur, perhaps lots of message boards will have different page rank which will certainly make users move around the message boards a bit whilst offering a community hopefully in the process.

I do want to give users something back should i be graced with their presence on my new site, perhaps first thing is to get the page rank up which isn't difficult anyway.

Perhaps do follow the username, for example if artofmagick posted a game review on modern warfare and was voted as best reivew then that review artofmagick profile will follow passing link juice to that person profile.

I am also going to post the top 10 users on the homepage, this will naturally pass juice to the top 10 most active users based on a point scoring system which iv implemented into the coding.

So perhaps for now pass link juice to important pages and forums, message boards, the forums is to discuss all aspects of gaming, the message board for each game differs slightly and is used to discuss the game, people get stuck, the usual.

If you pass pagerank from your home page to all of your user profile pages (and through them to external sites), you will keep far less of it for your own site, and run the risk of building links just to give away the benefit to others... You may want to consider that (if you haven't already).

I fully understand this, perhaps once i have high page rank on many pages i could slowly build up a user base page and slowly start passing it along, also will pass it via anchor text hyperlinks where applicable.

The other aspect I was considering, because like twitter you can have your username as your business this creates valuable keywords should they gain page rank. On twitter i often see my twitter accounts pop up first for my business keywords, was hoping that eventually by doing this i obtain thousands of keywords should users create accounts using business titles, user names should they be typed in Google search.

In effect it may bring traffic from having those profiles all over the web, would imagine twitter gets around 20 percent of user interest based on that alone.

Create a sub-page/folder which lists all of your user profiles; link to that page (from prominent position) on your main site-nav' (all pages) and try to get a large number of poweful incoming links to that page/folder in addition to gaining links to your home page; (it means twice the promotional work of course, but - if you are determined to give users PR/LJ

This is what i was thinking, perhaps double the work and get back links to more than just the homepage eliminating links on site with little value, sign up, faq, contact us, etc.

Create some nice little buttons/gadgets/graphics (served from your server) for users to add to their websites / SBM profiles / blogs etc when linking to their profile pages (or your home page).

This has already been done along with facebook, twitter, addthis and others, funky icons and stuff on site also, I joined addthis so hopefully the game reviews get passed round the web giving me a back link in the process via blogging, social networking, etc.

Not sure I really answered your question but I hope this helps

Thanks for all the help, sorry for waffling, really exited, should be online within a week or so, final touches being added before i submit the sitemap and await Google indexing.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : welcome
    Last edited by artofmagick; Jan 7th, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo