1. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Homepage Indexing problem with a Wordpress site

Hello Folks,
    I have a case here where only the homepage of a particular site running wordpress is not getting indexed by google.
    I have tried the following.

1. Made google crawl the page via webmastertool. It shows pending and it has been 3 days now. Normally it indexes in a few minutes of an hour at max.
    2. Tried other crawling tools including SEO Chat tool to see if other crawlers can reach it.
    3. I have checked robots.txt, and wordpress to see if somewhere the site is being blocked.

What am I missing? Could it be a flaw in the theme?
    But it was indexed before. To add a little more to the case history, the site was hacked and was not being indexed at all. We got the project recently and the first thing we did was to fix the hacking issues.
    Then after a webmaster tool reconsideration request the site bounced back to page one (#6) for the brand name. But then after a week it vanished.
    We do not have any more messages / alerts in webmaster account. Other pages are indexed and they appear in serp on page 2-3 for the brand name. However the homepage is no-where.

I don't wan't to still idle and wait. I want to figure it out and fix it immediately. So any help is welcome.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Hello Folks,
    I have a case here where only the homepage of a particular site running wordpress is not getting indexed by google.
    I have tried the following.

1. Made google crawl the page via webmastertool. It shows pending and it has been 3 days now. Normally it indexes in a few minutes of an hour at max.
    2. Tried other crawling tools including SEO Chat tool to see if other crawlers can reach it.
    3. I have checked robots.txt, and wordpress to see if somewhere the site is being blocked.

What am I missing? Could it be a flaw in the theme?
    But it was indexed before. To add a little more to the case history, the site was hacked and was not being indexed at all. We got the project recently and the first thing we did was to fix the hacking issues.
    Then after a webmaster tool reconsideration request the site bounced back to page one (#6) for the brand name. But then after a week it vanished.
    We do not have any more messages / alerts in webmaster account. Other pages are indexed and they appear in serp on page 2-3 for the brand name. However the homepage is no-where.

I don't wan't to still idle and wait. I want to figure it out and fix it immediately. So any help is welcome.

When was the homepage last crawled?
    Can you check the cached version of the homepage for clues eg did the error start at the same time as the hacking?
    Does this problem affect all SEs or just G?
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes, this is odd, but it will probably show up eventually. Sorry I can't offer anything else.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

WordPress has a setting in the dashboard area I think it is, that will make a site non-index-able.

That would affect the whole site, but you could have left something in place that will make the page no-index.

Your site name would help us help you... with out that we are just guessing.
  9. the mango demon

@sirbassface
    The home page was last indexed about 15 days ago, to the best of my knowledge when it was on page one for a search for its brand name.
    There is no google Index right now. Its not that the index is not updating, the index does not exist.
    I am not concerned with any other SE right now. I have not tried Bing yet, but it does not matter much to me.

Right now the plan is to improve the brand presence while we launch a adwords PPC campaign. If a prospective customer sees and ad and decides to google up the company before making a decision or looks for the something like "brand name reviews" "brand name services" etc then a good SEO presence gives us that additional trust.

@KnowOneSpecial the domain is imltravel.com
    Its a cheap Indian site, the code is complex. The entire CSS is dumped right at the top of the page. I am trying to improve things gradually.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  11. Just a Photographer

Your home page is indexed on the second page: site:imltravel.com.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : That was easy, makes one wonder why he couldn't have figured that out.
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Jun 23rd, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  13. the mango demon

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    Your home page is indexed on the second page: site:imltravel.com.
    Hello Mike,
    Note that some pages have an arrow next to the url in serp where you can see the cache.
    The home page and similarly some other pages do not have that option.
    cache:https://www.imltravel.com returns error too.
    Even webmaster tools fetch as google features fails. The actual cache does not exist.

However, I think some kind of pages are not getting indexed. I will look into the wordpress theme and optimization options further. May be some plugin is causing some problem which I am failing to notice.
  15. the mango demon

On a second thought, though you may say its from 2006, is it possible some of the pages of this site are in supplemental results?
    That is why a proper cache is not available for some pages while its is available for some others?
  17. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You are the #1 site in Google. Your homepage IS indexed. Case closed.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I looked at your robots.txt and found some confusing things... would you explain the follow... it's probably part of your issues.

your robots.txt

which leads to this

which leads to this

bug free travel leads to this

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees : Thank you! It helps. We are aware of the XML fault. That is a misconfiguration. I will sort it out today. The CDN thing is from a wordpress plugin to improve site speed. I don't think I can do much about it. But these insights were very helpful.
  21. the mango demon

Ok guys, thank you for the help. I have finally figured it out. My concern was genuine and I was seriously not hallucinating about the indexing issue.
    Again thanks to google webmaster tools. After three days we got an update on the indexing request. It now shows partial in the status.
    The screenshot below will tell you everything.

photo_2017-06-24_11-33-52.jpg
    So whats is wrong here is in a series of pages which has recaptcha included, google only renders a part of the code.
    Probably reason is a certain folder in the recaptcha company is blocked by robots.txt.
    Alternative issue, is some script a little down the page html output is driving gBot mad and the indexing is partial.

So thank you all again. I have resolved my problem.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Jun 24th, 2017 at 01:43 AM.