1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Help! content indexed under wrong domain

Greetings,

I have spent a few hours googling and forum trolling in a vain so I hope there are some guru's out there who can help me.

This is my problem:

I built a site for a client and whilst I was testing/discussing development I hosted it for afew weeks under my own domain name.

Of course you can guess what happened the SE's came along and indexed it under my own domain name. When the site was completed I then hsoted the site under the real (clients) domain name...no problem right ?

Wrong, now I have 742 of the clients pages indexed under my own domain name AND 266 under the new domain name (I verified this doing a "site:http://domainname.com search")

To make matters worse doing a search for link:http://domainname.com shows that all internal links have been indexed for my domain and not the clients.

I then used a .htaccess to redirect requests to domain A to domain B for about a month and this had no effect (except preventing me using domain name A)...I believe I used a permanent redirect. I gave up and removed it as I had no success...and this soultion really made no sense to me as both domains are valid...just for totally different content.

I then used the goole "delete URL' tool where you specifically say "Remove a URL from the INDEX'. I removed about 10 pages to see if would trigger some kind of re-indexing, it did not and the idea of doing this 472 times when I am not sure if it even works at all is daunting.

So then I just waited and waited and waited but the situation is not clearing up...I have really made a mess for myself thinking this would not be a big deal (hsoting WIP site under my domain)...but clearly getting content OUT of google Db is as hard as gettign it IN.

Can anyone tell me how on earth I get Google to index the correct domain and clear out its index for the wrong domain...I am open to anything...my next step is to park the old domain or create 404 for it...but this seems an extreme solution to have to take?

Can anyone help?...this seems like something that must happen a lot...it is worrying that I have not been able to find any old threads that resolve (or indeed even discuss this issue).

Many thanks in advance!
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

My suggestion would be to 301 each page as per Matt Cutts post on his blog.

You can also deny the robots access to the directory your client's site is in with robots.txt or .htaccess. Or even revove the files. I'd consider this a last-ditch solution.

My experience is that MSN handles redirects very well, Yahoo ! does ok and G is slow to figure it out. Time and patience may be the only thing for you.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  5. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi Zaphod, welcome to SEO Chat! Are you a Douglas Adams fan perchance?

I would think simply deleting the client's pages from your server so that the URLs no longer resolve (or get 404s) should be sufficient. I would not mess with redirecting anything. Google will (eventually) drop the URLs if the pages don't exist.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

google and domains

Thank you Bernard and rmccarley for your quick replies.

Important things first...yes I am a Douglas Adams fan...isn't everyone ;-)... although I have been told the Movie was terrible?

Anyway enough of that.

First up I deleted all the conent files as soon as the site went live at the new domain so google has been getting hundreds of 404's for months now, but it has not caused them to remove the pages...however that is exactly what i thought WOULD happen...so guess this is a warning to others...setup your robots.txt file before hosting temporrary content!!

I have now done the following in a last ditch (frustrated) attempt to fix the problem:

1. I deleted everything (even relevent content for domain A)
    2. I added a robots.txt file to root:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /

3. I then added these lines to my .htaccess file:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.doma\.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://domb.com/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^doma\.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://domb.com/$1 [R=301,L]

If this fails I will email Vogon poetry to Google until the problem is fixed

...just kidding Google <insert pic of me debasing myself at Googles feet>... it is always wise to grovel where you have no power ;-}

Anyway, many thanks again for your help guys...

I will post back when/if this works...if I can remember
  9. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think the 301 redirects are potentially causing more harm than good. Your robots.txt file on domain A will never be seen if it is redirected to domain b.