1. No Profile Picture

Help on 302, 301 Redirect and Canonical Issue (Microsoft Servers)

I am working on a client’s website where they change their landing page from domain.com to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx wherein domain.com.au 302 Redirects to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx

Domain.com.au is the indexed version. I know that if we do a 301 there is some leakage of link juice. The homepage on any site picks up the most natural links therefore I don’t recommend on redirecting the homepage domain.com to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx. I would rather keep the home page as the canonical so 100% of all links count. Would it be okay to implement canonical tag or change the 302 redirect to 301?

Option #1: Canonical Tag Recommendation
    domain.com –302 Redirect--> domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx (rel=”canonical href=”domain.com)

Option #2: 302 to 301 Redirect Change
    domain.com –301 Redirect--> domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx
    Last edited by nmarasigan; Sep 4th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'd recommend using 301 here....302s are temporary and should only be used for brief migrations. In addition, rel=canonical doesn't always work the way one would hope, at least in my experience. It's a strong suggestion, but not an imperative for search engines to honor.

The 301 here has the best chances of what you're trying to do here.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by nmarasigan
    I am working on a client’s website where they change their landing page from domain.com to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx wherein domain.com.au 302 Redirects to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx

Domain.com.au is the indexed version. I know that if we do a 301 there is some leakage of link juice. The homepage on any site picks up the most natural links therefore I don’t recommend on redirecting the homepage domain.com to domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx. I would rather keep the home page as the canonical so 100% of all links count. Would it be okay to implement canonical tag or change the 302 redirect to 301?

Option #1: Canonical Tag Recommendation
    domain.com –302 Redirect--> domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx (rel=”canonical href=”domain.com)

Option #2: 302 to 301 Redirect Change
    domain.com –301 Redirect--> domain.com/dir/landingpage.aspx
    I would suggest you go with 301 redirect, as you are looking for something permanent here and not a temporary solution. Also, you can keep your preferred version of URL in canonical tag.