1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Hacked page, spam links discovered, but what about SERP?

At one of the pages that I manage, I have recently noticed at GSC a huge increase at Indexing. Around 16.000 of pages were added in just a few days.
    By checking some of the links, I discovered that they were showing some University page, promoting some exam training packages.

Our IT is informed and they handled the problem, but I wonder now what I should do with do the indexing of all these pages.
    We are talking about thousands of different links, based on our domain, like : www.ourdomain.com/?_xxxx_Pdf-Exam.html

Just checked a few of them at SERP and they are still loading with the exam metadata info. Should I do some deindexing? Or just leave this and Google will remove them gradually?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Just need to get some more info before I can advise,

If they are sat on your domain, then surely you have control to remove the pages? - Or have the pages been removed already and how the URLs are serving a 404 but still indexed by Google?
    Music Fan | Formula 1 Geek | Apple Fanboy | Head of Digital
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply.
    It seems that some or all of these links are still indexed.
    Actions taken from our side are:
    - At the old GSC, at the area CRAWL> Url parameters we have added one of the common parameters and declared it as:
    Representative URL

and effect as None.
    - Our It has redirected all of these kind of links to the HP of our website.

Would you advise to do something extra?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BTW, by crawling the website through Scream Frog, the extra pages do not appear.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Since you know the format of the urls....

Redirect to a special page, use header x-robots to mark as noindex, nofollow and then make the page return a 410 status.

This tells Google, do not index this page, do not follow any links on this page, this page is gone forever and is never coming back, remove from the index. Google will then honor your request.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Since you know the format of the urls....

Redirect to a special page, use header x-robots to mark as noindex, nofollow and then make the page return a 410 status.

This tells Google, do not index this page, do not follow any links on this page, this page is gone forever and is never coming back, remove from the index. Google will then honor your request.
    Thank you for reply, but since I never had to deal with a similar situation in the past, I think I would need some more analytical info.
    And I don't have available all thousands of spam links. Can I use maybe the common parameter, as a wildcard?

1) Redirect what to which special page?
    2) Use header x-robots to mark as noindex, nofollow how?
    3 How to make the page return a 410 status?
  13. No Profile Picture

Your response that you don't understand how redirects work and you don't understand how to return status codes for pages means I would spend more time explaining it to you so you would understand than it would take to actually do the work.

It would only take a couple of hours of time to accomplish. Hire someone mate. Then you also have to plug the security hole that led to this fiasco.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 6th, 2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am aware what a redirection is and the different types of it, but your post is not clear about what sort of redirection should we do.
    Also, I know the robots file, but have no clue what a header x-robots is.
    Finally, if I knew all these things, then I wouldn't have to ask for support at this forum.

Anyway, thanks again.
  17. No Profile Picture

That is my point. You should hire someone to fix this if you don't understand. This solution requires knowing how to code pages, but this solution fixes all the urls you have problems with.

You redirect the url to a page to instruct Google to de-index and remove the page.
    301 comes to mind here.

I never said anything about robots.txt file, but easy enough to miss understand, but that is my point, use header x-robots tags to mark the page no index, no follow. robots.txt is often miss understood and people think that is how you make a page no index. Then make the page return a 410 status code.

edited post for clarity...
    sorry got you confused with another I sent a pm to..
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 8th, 2018 at 02:34 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually Google recommends the following, that are related to your comments:

Make removal permanent

To remove content or a URL from Google search permanently you must take one or more of the following additional actions:

• - Remove or update the actual content from your site (images, pages, directories) and make sure that your web server returns either a 404 (Not Found) or 410 (Gone) HTTP status code. Non-HTML files (like PDFs) should be completely removed from your server. (Learn more about HTTP status codes)
    • - Block access to the content, for example by requiring a password.
    • - Indicate that the page should not to be indexed using the noindex meta tag. This is less secure than the other methods.