1. The BIG Lion of SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google's $200 PC

Apparently Google will announce a $200 Microsoft Hostile PC on the next CES show? http://au.sys-con.com/read/168131.htm

I couldn't help but to get a grin on my face when I saw this news. Now wouldn't that make life just a littlebit more intresting?

Comments on this post

• Spaggie : http://www.theregister.com/2006/01/04/google_denies_pc/
    • bbott agrees : Google has denied such claims. With PC prices continually dropping the markup on those PCs is very minimal nowadays. Deffinitely an area Google has no interest in!
  3. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well the way things are at the moment you can get a semi-decent PC for around the $400 mark. In a few years it'll probably be $200 anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes but this is google retaliating on the desktop for MS entering the search engine market.

It was an obvious move from google, MS is likely to incorporate their search into their Windows software. It might lead to another trust case but it will knock a big hole into google and its market share. So google had to fight back in some way.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just read this story was BS, but I really dont want google getting into that market. I also really dont think that google can handle it. Besides their search which is still stockpiled with spam, they are not putting out any great products. The google map thing is cool, but that dont make money.
  9. The BIG Lion of SEO

I made the post right after receiving a Google alert. They actually sent me the BS . I did do a search for the news to see if it was BS and there were none at the time. Well now there is and it is actually good to get this clarified.

Google is full of surprises and I was not surprised to see this; however the words, Microsoft hostile computer sounded a bit suspect. Google has proven in the past that they are capable of doing the unexpected though. A good example is the purchase of Urchin. In November they rolled out the Urchin technology as a free stats service, probable giving a few analyzer companies out there a HUGE ulcer.
  11. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I've heard that they're aiming towards some sort of portal deal (think WebTV) and the profits would be made via PPM (Pay Per iMpresssion) as opposed to PPC. Ford is already paying under the PPM model so it's not far fetched.

If anyone could make Linux something that's PC friendly it would be Google. Nobody else has the resources to even try which is why Linux remains primarily in the pervue of servers and not desktops. A Google version of Linux would be an earth shattering announcement. It just doesn't seem that today is the day to shatter the earth.

The google map thing is cool, but that dont make money.
    Oh? NBC News uses them a ton and I bet they pay for that usage.
  13. Contributing User

Companies have already tried giving away free computers and then running ads in the lower portion of the screen which failed miserably. I could see Google going that route as well.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

with how spammy google's results have been recently... i think i'll stick with microsoft

of course, MS have their faults as well. but i've found (since reverting back to their search) i am able to find more quality sites (than i do with google, using the same query).

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

May be PC Sales is not G territory. But the way they are diversifying looks to me like after 3-4 years they'll also try to compete with Macdonalds & Burger kings..

They have one strong ladder viz., Text Search using which they are trying to jump to all the trees in this forest of computing business. If they don't look after search properly then they might fall.