Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Google PageRank Question

We all know, Google does not updating It's PR on toolbar to prevent spamming or some backhat technique. As per my understand, PR is not like vote it is like money, If you give some one then you will lose yours.

If you look out on pagerank algorithm in Wikipedia, then you will get some hint about, how pagerank flow from one site to another, for example, If I link to another website, then I will lost some pagerank according to inbound links, outbound links and dumping factor.

Well, we all know, there are thousand of websites, who already pointed to each other, so obviously Pagerank should be flow from one site to another(assume link is dofollow). Initially Assume that. there are only thousand of website which has almost 5 PR, and now you have seen there are millions of website, and still they have some decent PageRank why?

Why Pagerank value is not decrease with time or number of websites in the world? because every one is pointed to each other, so PR should be become lower and lower, but in reality it is not.

So, What is your opinion about PR? Did you think Google Produce some PR every year, just like Our Govt produce money every year?
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Arjun3315
    So, What is your opinion about PR? Did you think Google Produce some PR every year, just like Our Govt produce money every year?
    I'm no expert on Page Rank, but I really really do not think it works that way. Though if someone knows better than me, please correct me there.

You reference the Wikipedia page in your post. On that page, they reference a quote from Google:

PageRank works by counting the number and quality of links to a page to determine a rough estimate of how important the website is. The underlying assumption is that more important websites are likely to receive more links from other websites.
    So based on that I assume that if a page gets more links...it increases in importance. And therefore, probably PR. It's difficult - maybe impossible - for anyone outside of Google to say what relationship, if any, the total number of webpages in existence has to PR. Without speculating, at least.

But the idea that PR is like a currency or a liquid that Google can pour into an ever expanding bottle to keep the water level the same doesn't strike me as correct. I don't believe PR is created - as far as I understand, it's calculated.

Edit: Also, I see that you joined last year but I haven't seen you post yet - so welcome to SEO Chat!

Comments on this post

• ThomasHarvey agrees : I don't believe PR is created - as far as I understand, it's calculated.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

A link is just a vote and its not a currency as you indicated
    A old but very good read on what PR is / was can be found here Google PageRank: What Do We Know About It? – Smashing Magazine
    I say was as we can no longer view the current PR of a page or site but many claim google still use it internally its just the toolbar version that stopped being updated.
  7. No Profile Picture

@Chedders
    Did you know, What I mean by vote or money?
    Vote is something like, if you give to someone, then you will not lost anything, while if you give some money, then obviously you will lost some coins. So Pagerank is like money, if you mention any link in your webpage, then obviously, it will pass some value. Hence I use Money not vote.

@Markoberts
    I know PageRank is calculated for each webpage. But Why PR is not going to down? If it is calculated, then obviously, the value is pass from one webpage to another, so if the number of webpages is increased then PR should be decrease for each webpage.

Also many years ago, I read this blog post from matt cutts. So even if we add nofollow link in webpage, then it does not pass any value but it still consume your PR. So I think PR should be decrease, but it is not, so I think Google may be create PR without calculating.
  9. Dinosaur

However you want to call it putting a link on your page does not derease your page rank however it will slightly increase theirs. Hense new page rank is created
  11. No Profile Picture

Chedders@ No, I don't agree with you. PageRank is always flow from one webpage to another, no matter it is external or internal link.
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's really about anchors today, internal can use exact match where external exact match can bite your rankings and rank is still pushed by pr.
  15. No Profile Picture

Test-ok@ I know, good anchor text is always helpful in ranking, because dofollow link pass anchor text + pagerank. But question is, what is your opinion about PageRank?, It is only calculated ? or it is calculated + internally created by google algorithm to maintain PR?
  17. Dinosaur

I think you miss read my post Arjun

You implied that page rank is used up by giving it away to the pages you link too. This is not the case the linking page retains the page rank but the receiving page also receives a percentage of the page rank.

I say a percentage because if say you page which has a page rank of 2 and you have 4 links on the page (follow or nofollow) then the 2 is divided by 4 giving you .5 and then a percentage of that is passed onto the page its linking too. The exact percentage is not known but its safe to assume something like 70% is passed on so .35 of a page rank.

Hope that clears up my response.
  19. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is an interesting little thread. I think I'll move it to our Search Engine Optimization section. If anyone experiences difficulty posting in this thread after the move, please let me know. The forum glitches out sometimes when threads get moved.
  21. Dinosaur

Here Matt Cutts talking about what page rank is and how its passed.
  23. Dinosaur

A further video of Pagerank sculpting and by Matt Cutts
  25. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If I link to another website, then I will lost some pagerank according to inbound links, outbound links and dumping factor.
    Nope; you do not loose PR. That is a myth. Otherwsie sites like DMOZ with 5 million external links would have lost all their PR - they didn't
    Googel still update PR every day and factor that into the search rankings every day. They just do not export the value externally.
  27. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In the ORIGINAL PageRank theory, a page will indeed lose the PageRank it passes (all but about 15%) but on any given website the majority of PageRank passes are first to internal pages that immediately pass it back, then most often external links tend to link to sites that link back to you.

Because of the decaying factor any passed PageRank will continue down a 22 link path which means your own passed PageRank will flow back to you numerous times.

Although, PageRank is merely the GAS that allows your CMS ENGINE to actually drive your pages to rank in results.
    Last edited by fathom; Nov 4th, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
  29. Dinosaur

Also many years ago, I read this blog post from matt cutts. So even if we add nofollow link in webpage, then it does not pass any value but it still consume your PR. So I think PR should be decrease, but it is not, so I think Google may be create PR without calculating.
    The reasoning behind why all links divide the page rank including no follow was to stop people pagerank sculpting. So in the old days if you wanted all your rank to flow to a product page then you could put nofollow on all the other links so the product page would receive 100% of the page rank (less the bit google decay the pagerank by). This google had to stop else it would be so easy to target the flow of PR around your site. So they now use all links as I stated above. Makes it a lot harder to sculpt pagerank and makes you think a lot more about flow of navigation.

Its for this reason it is normally a bad idea to have 100's of links on a page as it dilutes the amount of pagerank being passed. Marking them as nofollow has no impact on the amount passed.
    Last edited by Chedders; Nov 4th, 2015 at 03:48 PM.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: