1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google not indexing pages

Hey all,

I logged into my Google Webmaster account the other day and when I went to index pages it said I only had 22 pages indexed, down from the 153 I had previously. The weird thing is that when I go to the main screen of my Google Webmaster account it says my sitemap was last submitted 10/9/2013 and I had 174 out of 174 URLS submitted and indexed. When I go to Google and search my site via site:www.mysite.com it only shows 3 pages of results, mostly for image files. However if I put a space between the site: and www.mysite.com it comes up with over 800 separate pages, image files, etc from my site. I have noticed many of my pages dropping out of ranking significantly over the past few weeks and I am starting to think this is the issue. I know Hummingbird happened not too long ago but I wouldn't think my site would have been affected. I only practice white hat tactics. On my webmaster account I go to the malicious section and it says I have no new messages. I have asked google to crawl several individual pages on my site that I recently updated and crawled the main page and submitted it and all links to Google index. Does anyone know what could be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by dzine; Oct 18th, 2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Please unlink your example URLs the next time
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture

not much help, a more elaborate reply would have been more appreciated.
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

9. Addicted to SEO

Originally Posted by orangeseo
    When I go to Google and search my site via site:www.mysite.com it only shows 3 pages of results, mostly for image files. However if I put a space between the site: and www.mysite.com (...)
    Never put the space after "site:". Instead, try site:mysite.com (with no www). If you set 301 from www version to no-www, most of pages (or even all, after some time) will be indexed under mysite.com. Even if you don't use 301 redirection, Google may have chosen the no-www version to be indexed. So now try to use site:mysite.com and let us know how many results there are.

If the problem still egxists, make sure you haven't done any changes on your website, such as setting noindex on your tag or category pages.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by orangeseo
    not much help, a more elaborate reply would have been more appreciated.
    Okaydokey, spent a couple of mins on your site, few problems.

1) The homepage contains no meta descriptions, you should have a meta descriptions on all pages that contains text, you also have a title tag with just your domain name, which should include valuable keywords, not just Orange Restoration, with no meta as well it offers nothing of use.

2) You have 3x h1 headers, and each page should only have one h1, not three.

3) You have broken links on the homepage, ie sitemap, you also have 29 other broken links throughout the site.

/2013/04/the-dangers-of-household-asbestos/http:/goexback.com/
    /2013/04/fire-restoration-company/http:/exbacksms.com/
    /2012/08/encinitas-mold-removal/http:/getyourexxfriendback.com/
    /2013/04/flood-damage-prevention/http:/exbackdo.com/
    /services/water-damage-restoration-and-flood-cleanup/san-diego-water-damage-restoration-flood-cleanup-services/
    /2013/04/water-damage-in-garages/http:/howexgirlback.com/
    /wp-login.php?action=logout&_wpnonce=9a812afd6e
    /services/water-flood-damage/orange-county-water-and-flood-damage/
    /services/water-flood-damage/san-francisco-water-and-flood-damage/
    /services/water-flood-damage/san-diego-flood-and-water-damage-remediation/
    /renovators-tips-article.html
    /wp-login.php?action=logout&_wpnonce=04b5be1c36
    /wp-content/plugins/spam-free-wordpress/js/sfw-ipwd-nn.js?ver=1.9.3
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Coronado-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Newport_Beach-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Yorba_Linda-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Fullerton-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Anaheim-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Orange-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Huntington_Beach-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Santa_Ana-ca.html
    //Home_Carpet_Cleaners-Irvine-ca.html
    /services/flood-cleanup-water-damage-restoration/orange-county-water-and-flood-damage-restoration/
    /services/flood-cleanup-water-damage-restoration/san-francisco-water-and-flood-damage/
    /services/flood-cleanup-water-damage-restoration/san-diego-flood-and-water-damage-remediation/
    /services/flood-cleanup-water-damage-restoration/
    /sitemap/
    /services/construction-and-remodeling/
    /services/flood-water-damage-restoration/
    /comments/feed/

To further clean it up, check each page using an addon to check spelling mistakes, and also check each internal page with text for meta descriptions that are missing, read up on title and meta tag optimization and make good use of keywords on these internal pages as well as the homepage. Also submit a sitemap assuming you have not, so you can track progress and potential issues thereafter.

Forgot to add, those urls need 301 redirect to the homepage or the correct page if these pages are live somewhere else.
    Last edited by artofmagick; Jan 21st, 2014 at 02:52 PM.