1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google My Business Question

The company I work for is a Franchise. We have over 200 locations, and the naming convention for each DBA is usually "Franchise Name of City." The problem, is that some owners have named their businesses the wrong name. For example, the nickname for a small part of Colorado Springs, CO, is Pikes Peak.
    This particular owner services all of Colorado Springs, and all of his competitors have Colorado Springs in their DBA. As I'm sure most of you know, Google heavily favors exact and partial match keywords in DBAs on Map listings.

My question is if it's against google's guidelines to changes the DBA from Pikes Peak to "Franchise of Colorado Springs," assuming that the owner doesn't actually legally change their DBA?
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

<disclaimer>As an Englishman I'm not wholly familiar with the legalities of a DBA Name</disclaimer> but...

Why not use: "Franchise of Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs" as the "DBA" for Google?
    Then you have your exact match KW's plus the "real DBA" match (and it should be obvious to everyone why you've done it)!
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 6th, 2017 at 03:22 PM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    <disclaimer>As an Englishman I'm not wholly familiar with the legalities of a DBA Name</disclaimer> but...

Why not use: "Franchise of Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs" as the "DBA" for Google?
    Then you have your exact match KW's plus the "real DBA" match (and it should be obvious to everyone why you've done it)!
    I won't get my listing suspended for this? I thought the DBA had to match your actual business name? Someone told me it should match the business license.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey, I have been on the phone with Google recently about a clients listings and wanted to get them all verified, they basically said that a store code is now mandatory and also you are not allowed to have the location in the store name, it is how it should appear in your bricks and mortar store.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, that's true, unless it's actually on your Business License. Meaning in the real-world, you always do business as XYZ of City: https://support.google.com/business/.../3038177?hl=en

"Location information, such as neighborhood, city, or street name, unless it is part of your business's consistently-used and recognized real-world representation. Your name must not include street address or direction information.
    • Not acceptable: "Holiday Inn (I-93 at Exit 2)", "U.S. Bank ATM - 7th & Pike - Parking Garage Lobby near Elevator", “Equinox near SOHO
    • Acceptable: "Holiday Inn Salem", "U.S. Bank ATM", “Equinox SOHO”, "University of California Berkeley"